Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Hardcore conditions in VOR
Team McLube

coiler

Nov 13, 2005, 10:24 AM

Post #1 of 12 (21873 views)
Shortcut
Hardcore conditions in VOR Log-In to Post/Reply

Pirates and Movistar heading back to port with keel problems, ABN 1 has wiped out a steering wheel and rudder is out of action and Sunergy and friends have a steering issue and a broken goose neck.

ABN AMRO 2 leading

brutal conditions

coiler
So much water, too little time!

Sander

Nov 13, 2005, 11:15 AM

Post #2 of 12 (21867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coiler] Hardcore conditions in VOR [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

OK, so the start was exceptional in wind strength, yet the Southern Oceans will be no less. If even two of the best prepared boats hit serious trouble within 24 hours (let alone another two of the last boats to hit the water), it seems a matter of time before others will as well. Although it must be said that the boat with most miles under the keel is now leading, ABN AMRO TWO.

Sander

Nov 13, 2005, 11:18 AM

Post #3 of 12 (21866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sander] Hardcore conditions in VOR [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Let me correct that, before someone else will; ABN AMRO TWO may not have the most miles (that is Movistar), but the most time of preparation. It hit the water first of all those taking part.

Bird Man

Nov 13, 2005, 10:53 PM

Post #4 of 12 (21836 views)
Shortcut

i have said from the first moment i heard about how amnamro2 was picking there crew, that they would do well and have a shot at winning, and i stand by that. i realize that there are 10 or so months left, but what do the amatures have to loose, NOTHING. they get bragging rites, and sailing jobs when they are done. unlike the profesional crews on the other 6 boats, the crew on abnamro2 are out there for fun. i think they have the best shot at winning.

coiler

Nov 14, 2005, 12:56 AM

Post #5 of 12 (21835 views)
Shortcut

I think the reasons that we have seen so many problems are very complex and different from team to team.It is worrying that both the POTC and Movistar have keel issues.

when the boats get to land we may find out more....but remember there is a long long way to go.

These are conditions that suit the ABN boats better than the Farr and the conditions will not always be like this for the race or even for the leg.

There is a long way to go, big set backs for Pirates and Movistar but they are not out of it.

coiler

Sander

Nov 14, 2005, 10:43 AM

Post #6 of 12 (21799 views)
Shortcut

And then there were only four...... It seems that the two Kouyoumdjian boats are well up there with their speed, even if conditions are a little less extreme. Both are with the Farrs now, and the difference in theoretical distance to finish is really only the result of ABNAMRO TWO moving out West where there indeed seems more wind eventually. If Josse gets this right he may build a lead, as the other 3 boats are considerably to his East.
Contrary to the reply above I would argue that the boats should not necessarily be only optimised for the conditions as found in the first 24 hours. Yes, downwind sailing in tough wind and high waves is important, but it then mostly comes down to how far you are willing to put the foot down (on the brakes that is). Top speed becomes irrelevant. Many previous Whitbreads have been won or lost on the Atlantic legs where low winds have a big impact on fleet results. And in the VOR2005 there is another 20% of points gained during in-port races, which makes wide range flexibility even more important. If designing a fast downwind flyer was really that obviously necessary then Farr would have done that too, he has more winning experience in this race than anyone.
What speaks for the ABNAMRO boats are their twin rubbers which will hopefully allow them extra control in tough conditions, so that there is less necessity to slow down in the Southern Oceans.

coiler

Nov 15, 2005, 2:10 AM

Post #7 of 12 (21766 views)
Shortcut

Sanders,

very well put and I agree with you almost entirely.

It is not surprising that the the two beamer tougher ABN boats are up there, reaching in big breeze.

Ericsson and Brasil 1 have been sailed more conservatively and it is paying off as they are still very much in with a chance of winning Leg one.Remember Brasil has damaged its mast head spinnaker and Ericsson had to stop and put two guys over the side to clear lines.IF is a small word but apart from these incidents they would be right up there.

It is really too early to disect what has happened to Pirates and Movistar but perhaps Movistar was pushing too hard to keep up with ABN 1 and Pirates may have had an assembly issue which would have come to light if they had done the test miles.

The Whitbread/VOR has always been the for-runner in design for the last 30 years but has been challenged recently by the Open 60 for prowess in the design field.

Pushing the boundaries will by its nature mean failures, the Volvo 70 is a new breed it took the VO60 over ten years to mature, the Volvo 70s are a group of young race horses with a top class blood line, some of them will not make the grade others will.

Time will tell which designs will continue the line of thorough breds.

coiler

p.s. Anybody fancy sending a reporter to Cape Town! Wink

Sander

Nov 15, 2005, 11:08 AM

Post #8 of 12 (21741 views)
Shortcut

So now that boat speeds between the four seem so similar, it becomes a tactical race, which is more fun for us. The West option looks good, but I would not bet against McDonald and the number of times he has gone down this route. Gybing on every shift, he must think it is a match race. In any case they can have good use of their pole that way, which may well be the reason why the ABNAMRO boats are hardly gybing at all, keeping the angles low.
Looking at the ABNAMRO 1 pictures it seems good that they have two wheels!

cdiddy

Nov 15, 2005, 1:25 PM

Post #9 of 12 (21730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bird Man] Hardcore conditions in VOR [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I don't think the boat is entirely amateurs, i think that they just had to try out for the position... anyway i would reckon that they are sailing a lot more on the safer side because of their lack of experience. i don't think they're being rookies in a VOR would better their chances of winnign by any means though

Sander

Nov 15, 2005, 2:18 PM

Post #10 of 12 (21721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdiddy] Hardcore conditions in VOR [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The "rookies" have apparently enough boat speed, some very handy experience in Open 60's (a lot more similar to VOR70 than all previous VOR/WRTWR boats), the longest boat preparation time and plenty of crew training.

What remains to be seen is if they have enough people with good driving skills in the Southern Oceans. If the winds are above 20 knots then fast driving is real hard work on these boats, driving for more than an hour at a time will be at the expense of concentration (changing drivers every half hour is not uncommon). And a boat that is driven by anyone less experienced or concentrated will have to be reefed further down to avoid frequent wipe-outs. Both reefs and wipe-outs are bad for speed. Once the other teams get their act togehter again technically, then on this count some other teams have better cards.

coiler

Nov 17, 2005, 3:01 AM

Post #11 of 12 (21681 views)
Shortcut

Some good points sanders..

The ABN 2 crew are young but extremely talented.

It is worth mentioning that their boat will be in its element in the Southern Ocean, also with these boats it will be unlikely that they will need to go far South to find more breeze, they will be fully loaded up just by VMGing to Melbourne.

What is really interesting about leg one is that it is almost a model of the whole race, it has all of the elements rolled into one;

rough weather,fickle breeze,tactical and temperature extremes. Already in the leg we have seen two failures, (one from a well prepared boat who just got unlucky) and we have also seen the snakes and ladders that will go on between the different designs in terms of tactics and how well they are doing in different conditions.

I would not be surprised if leg one is a map of the next seven months.

coiler

p.s. still availiable to travel to Cape Town ;)

Bird Man

Nov 17, 2005, 7:01 PM

Post #12 of 12 (21661 views)
Shortcut

that makes 2 of us

will make the trip to cape town if i can keep the gear

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules