Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
How can www.volvooceanrace.org improve?
Team McLube

Atilla The Hun

Nov 16, 2005, 3:01 AM

Post #1 of 12 (21080 views)
Shortcut
How can www.volvooceanrace.org improve? Log-In to Post/Reply

How can the volvo ocean race website imporve?
  • Lets make this thread a place for constructive critasim of how they can improve their site.
  • Lets not make this a place for slagging off!

My quibs:
Prob1: location of links too media is at bottom of page and not immediately apparrent to a user
Solution: The menu on the left hand side of the screen should be changed... 'Latest Images' should change to 'Media'. Once a user put their
cursor over Media a drop down (or accross) should appear showing Audio, Video, Images etc.

Prob2: Cant Open any video's! Is anyone else experiencing this?
Description of Problem:
Windows Media Player tries to open but just get a warning stating: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:").
Are they using a funky player?

Regards,
Atilla The Hun
Ps: lets hope they follow this post and make the improvments nessicary

Montrose

Nov 16, 2005, 5:16 AM

Post #2 of 12 (21076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atilla The Hun] How can www.volvooceanrace.org improve? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Agree that the video links are a problem, as they are too low, and seem to be only available on the home page. I was able to open the video with Windows Media Player, but I was VERY SURPRISED that the latest video was only from the start. Wasn't that three days ago? Not exactly reality TV. To that end, the images are not too current either. If you don't care about ABN AMRO's broken steering column, don't bother.

------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Elvestrom, "If, in the course of victory you have not won the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing at all."

msherman

Nov 16, 2005, 9:35 AM

Post #3 of 12 (21054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atilla The Hun] How can www.volvooceanrace.org improve? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Blow it up and start over....no way to salvage a bad navigational format.

Can't understand why they don't have massive amounts of on board videos from those first crazy days!!! If they just had a few of the problem videos, the fans could get a NASCAR-like fix on the drama of the danger of the event. Imagine know how many emails would have been spawned by swapping links to files (on the site) of some of the damage and hairy weather scenes? Clearly they don't have a good media person in charge.

Atilla The Hun

Jan 4, 2006, 7:59 AM

Post #4 of 12 (20993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Montrose] How can www.volvooceanrace.org improve? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

They have changed some of the site recently and it is a marked improvment however...
I still cant open any of the video's on the volvo web site. do you need a specific plugin maybe to make it play, or is someone selling it?
in fairness I have no complaints about the audio, images or email section just the video's
rgds
Atilla

SailTrim

Jan 4, 2006, 8:40 AM

Post #5 of 12 (20987 views)
Shortcut

The VOR site is not horrible, I do enjoy the incoming e-mails and the pictures. I have not had a problem opening the videos, but have not been impressed wth the quality of image, audio or content choice. I have a hard time making it out or not interested in segment choice. Otherwise, they are keeping us up to date. It would be nice to have more video that fully represents the conditions that these guys/boats are contending with. I suspect that there are likely some logistics that we are not fully aware of that are limiting some of that.

I can only imagine what it takes to run such an event and adding technology/multimedia likely makes it quite an endeavor in itself. SO, with that said, I guess I am glad I ahve what I have and don't have to wait till after it has happened and read about it months later in Sailing World. I like waking up each morning and checking out where ABN Amro is on the virtual spec and reading the e-mails . . . safe and sound in my living room with a warm cup of coffee.

Deleted
anton@questmedia.nl

Jan 4, 2006, 9:01 AM

Post #6 of 12 (20985 views)
Shortcut

I think the VOR Site is fine only if you look at www.brunelteamwork.com the site of the Australian boat that is the best. Every day a new video.

raspencer

Jan 4, 2006, 12:51 PM

Post #7 of 12 (20973 views)
Shortcut

I can't get any of the VOR videos to load and run either. Using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6, I see a page loading when I click on a video link, but end up seeing "Error" displayed in a small VOR Mediaplayer message box, on an otherwise blank page. It looks like it could be a security setting in IE that is the problem.
If anyone has encountered this and resolved it, I would be interested to know how they did it.
Thanks.

Swuzzlebubble

Jan 4, 2006, 11:33 PM

Post #8 of 12 (20953 views)
Shortcut

• The VMG column on the results data should display the VMG to the finish for the previous six hours and not since the start of the leg - what use is that?
  • There should be more regular updates with analysis of the situation. During my work-day in AU there are two postion report updates but not a single news item. They need someone in Asia/Pacific region to report in our time zone.
  • It would be nice if the position graphics could show the complete leg portion up to where the leaders are at. The ‘fleet’ option is too large scale and the ‘entire leg’ is too small in the early stages of the leg. I’m sure VS provides that but my boss might not like me setting that up on his PC!
  • There does not appear to be an easy way to view the actual finish times of the boats in the previous legs let alone in-port races or scoring waypoints. Are they buried somewhere?
  • There does not appear to be any historical data such as previous race results etc. It should be easy to put up some data from previous races – ie going back to the Whitbread days.
  • The crew lists on the team pages have not updated since before the races.
  • “Latest images” should not include shots of the boat being built – eg AUS1. There should be multiple photos from each boat per day. Not one or two per leg.
  • This “explanation” on ‘Onboard Conditions’ seems to exaggerate what is delivered considering it updates six-hourly: “Satellite telemetry instantly relays to this page every piece of information that the boats’ instruments show. If Torben Grael’s hair is being ruffled by a 30 knot breeze, if Paul Cayard’s moustache is dripping with salt water courtesy of an eight metre swell, you’ll know as soon as they do.”

Atilla The Hun

Jan 5, 2006, 1:45 AM

Post #9 of 12 (20947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swuzzlebubble] How can www.volvooceanrace.org improve? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Swuzzlebubble,
Thank you for your contribution yours points are all very vaild and are very well articulated.

However I must take you up on your suggestion for VS.

"It would be nice if the position graphics could show the complete leg portion up to where the leaders are at. The ‘fleet’ option is too large scale and the ‘entire leg’ is too small in the early stages of the leg. I’m sure VS provides that but my boss might not like me setting that up on his PC!"

How I dont think that your suggestion for VS to do this is nessicary as you can aready achieve whatever view that you want to with VS.

My only quib with VS is that I cant get around my local firewall settings that the administrator has set up that does not provide very well for an automatic update program (whick includes microsoft windows updates)

Rgds
Atilla

msherman

Jan 5, 2006, 6:30 AM

Post #10 of 12 (20937 views)
Shortcut

better videos!

Deleted
david.irvine@iproductsgroup.com

Jan 6, 2006, 8:29 AM

Post #11 of 12 (20917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msherman] How can www.volvooceanrace.org improve? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The VOR Team promised so much and have delivered nothing. They promised so much and have delivered less than the last one.
30 mins of edited footage on a Monday night at 11.30pm is nothing compared to the promise of online streaming from 6 cameras on-board.

Swuzzlebubble

Jan 9, 2006, 11:50 PM

Post #12 of 12 (20879 views)
Shortcut

Would not hurt to have a 'Stop press' feature where the duty officers (or whoever) could post news as it comes to hand rather than just waiting for it to be written up in the full articles later on.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules