Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Box rule boats
Team McLube

Roy

Nov 4, 2005, 8:13 AM

Post #1 of 8 (16706 views)
Shortcut
Box rule boats Log-In to Post/Reply

Been looking at the new box rules that are supposed to be kind of like the TP52. Unfortunately the only one within my budget would be the 26. Anybody building one yet? Looks like the rule doesn't specifically prohibit a retractable keel so the boat could be traveled and ramp launched.

Mummy

Nov 4, 2005, 8:52 AM

Post #2 of 8 (16699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roy] Box rule boats [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I think they missed the proper size categories and these rules will flop on the bottom end. The 26 is just too small with too large a gap to the next box.

PaulK

Nov 6, 2005, 6:30 PM

Post #3 of 8 (16645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mummy] Box rule boats [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

You could try an International 14, if you're looking for a small box rule boat.

msherman

Nov 7, 2005, 3:55 AM

Post #4 of 8 (16624 views)
Shortcut

Dunno about the gaps in the rules, but it sure seems like there are plenty of new boxes around.! From the Storm Trysail Club's 60, on down....I wonder how this will all sort out?

nroose

Nov 7, 2005, 11:02 AM

Post #5 of 8 (16594 views)
Shortcut

It will be interesting to see how these do. The sizes are 26, 33, 42.

I think the sizes are pretty good. You don't want too many of them, but you want it to range from a pretty small boat for ocean racing to something that is pretty big, but not as big as the 52s.

I was interested to see the rules are written in metric, whereas the sizes are in feet.

Anyone have a guess as to how fast these will be? Will they be fast for their size, or just average? How about the IRC rating, will it be favorable or difficult to sail to? Are there any current boats that fit the rules already? It would be neat to take an existing production hull and mod it into the class, and still be able to race competitively in PHRF/IRC with it, and then have the occasional level class ragatta.

Roy

Nov 7, 2005, 12:11 PM

Post #6 of 8 (16586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nroose] Box rule boats [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I've read the rule and it seems like the 26 could be a fast boat for its length. The rule mandates a minimum displacement of around 2200 pounds and upwind sail area of around 365 sf. This adds up to a sa/d of roughly 35.0 Sounds like plenty of horsepower to me. Found one sketch for a 26 http://www.jpdonovandesign.com/ but it doesn't have a bow pole, which the rule seems to require. Boat looks like it'll need a crane to launch, which translates to "expensive". They ought to make the 26 ramp launchable.

blowboater

Nov 10, 2005, 8:16 AM

Post #7 of 8 (16530 views)
Shortcut

Trying to keep up with all the new boxes....

65 (Storm Trysail)
52 (TP class)
42 IRC
33 IRC
26 IRC

Is that right? Is there something between 42 and TP 52? How different are the TP's from the IRC's?

dogwatch

Nov 13, 2005, 6:55 AM

Post #8 of 8 (16469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blowboater] Box rule boats [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
How different are the TP's from the IRC's?

ORC not IRC. Confusing the two is like confusing Iraq and Iran. Only one letter different but still likely to end in bloodshed.

To answer someone else, I don't think the ORC ODs will be competitive in IRC against optimised IRC designs, particularly the smaller ones. They are far lighter than IRC specials.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules