Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Coffee table picture books
Team McLube

The Publisher

Oct 18, 2009, 3:29 PM

Post #1 of 10 (24614 views)
Shortcut
Coffee table picture books Log-In to Post/Reply

I got a letter from Johanne Lalonde (Ottawa, Ontario) who was asking for suggestions on a high end ($200+/-) coffee table book, with nice pictures or sailing, sailing places, sailing boats... more pics than words! These were some of the suggestions from my Facebook pages:

John M Thomas - Tallships by koza

Paige Brooks - the LVPS book that Fitzpatrick did? Or is it wordy?

Becky DaMore - Paul Todd has been working on some high end coffee table sailing books... paul@outsideimages.co.nz I know he has a San Diego office too.

Kim Zuelsdorf - I have 3 beauties--- "The Spirit of Sailing/ A Celebration of Sea and Sail" by Michael Kahn, "The World's Best Sailboats" by Ferenc Mate, and "The Story of the AC 1851-1995" by Ranulf Rayner. All pretty coffee table books. But a little enthralling with sailing friends who come over who haven't seen them!

Lisa Kerth-Zittel - 'wind and water' or 'spirit of sailing'

Lorie Stout - Roger Miller's Annapolis Sailing Capital of Maryland. to be released next week.

Stanton Murray - J Boats has a nice one

Tom Leweck - Shooting H2O - Rick Tomlinson; Lines - Olin Stephens

Geoffrey Ewenson - I have Lines - Olin Stephens........It really is nice.
I also have a book of all the exploits of Luc Peyron. It was given to me by a neighbor who is french and picked it up while in Nice. All in French but mostly beautiful photos. My French is pretty bad since high school but I can get most of it.

Carol Newman Cronin - Onne van der Wal's Wind and Water. I've been giving it as a house present for years and it's always well-received (particularly on the west coast, where it usually isn't already in the house).

The Publisher

Oct 19, 2009, 5:05 AM

Post #2 of 10 (24568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Coffee table picture books [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

From Graham Thompson:
I have a wonderful book “Sailing Thoroughbreds”, by Beken of Cowes (England) with a forward by HRH The Prince Royal. This book is 14” high by 10 ½” wide, with full color plates of traditional and racing sailboats. Some of the photographs are double page. Descriptions of each boat and its achievements are listed at the back. This is a wonderful book that includes boats from the twenties to Stars and Stripes.

This book originally sold for $75 in 1998. As I have two copies, both of which are in excellent condition, I would be interested in selling one for $40.

worldregattas

Oct 20, 2009, 4:10 PM

Post #3 of 10 (24475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Coffee table picture books [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Daniel Forster, Juerg Kaufmann and I just finished a coffeetable book on Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez. It is a 142-page book with the best of Daniel and Juerg's photos of classic, spirit of tradition and modern yachts at the regatta. The weather was perfect, the collection of boats was spectacular, the setting unbeatable and the characters that we met in producing Classic & Modern Yachts in Saint-Tropez were unforgettable.

This year was my first time at the event. There weren't many North Americans there, but if they take a look at the preview of the book on regattabook.com or they purchase the book, they will have to put attending the regatta on their list of must do's during their lifetime.
It is a "must attend" event for Mediterranean sailors and for thousands of their friends. Over 115 classic yachts and 150 IRC boats - Wallys, Swans, Benneteaus - all immaculately kept, participated. We did our best to produce a timeless book about beautiful boats in a very special setting.

Friendly Tropéziens and international sailors recounted stories of La Nioulargue and Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez over the week. Some even added new chapters to the regatta's history. Their stories complement the local flavor, the landmarks, the fun-loving activities of the community and the annual sailing spectacle that celebrates the end of the summer in the Mediterranean. In Classic & Modern Yachts in Saint-Tropez Lynn Fitzpatrick, Daniel Forster and Juerg Kaufmann combine breathtaking photos and short stories to capture the essence of Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez.

"Classic and Modern Yachts in Saint-Tropez packages the memories of the summer of 2009, many editions of Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez and La Nioulargue, sailboats, designs, meetings, parties, regattas, restorations, new builds and family histories. It is more than enough to warm you during the coldest, greyest days of winter." - George Nicholson
Chairman, Camper and Nicholsons International

Classic and Modern Yachts in Saint-Tropez is available at regattabook.com.

Lynn Fitzpatrick, Juerg Kaufmann and Daniel Forster are available for interviews about Classic & Modern Yachts - Saint-Tropez and regatta engagements.

johannelalonde

Oct 23, 2009, 7:15 AM

Post #4 of 10 (24337 views)
Shortcut

Txs to all for the replies... Your suggestions will be put to good use... Merci! Johanne

chris.savage

Jan 9, 2012, 4:27 PM

Post #5 of 10 (17571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johannelalonde] Coffee table picture books [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The ultimate sailing book is right here - in carbon fiber and the 2nd largest book in history - only 17 now remain from the original signed Limited Edition of 1000. All but these are sold.
http://www.kosphotos.com/eng/20x20-book/Reviews

chris.savage

Jan 11, 2012, 5:24 AM

Post #6 of 10 (15345 views)
Shortcut
Q&A: Giant SAILING BOOK in black carbon fiber [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In general response to a number of questions by tel & email:

The book is a giant art book on sailing and the sea. Despite its carbon fiber covers, it weighs 22lbs and can be displayed on a carbon easel or acrylic wall mount so it presents vertically like a large framed picture. The pages stay open with special clips, and can be changed on a daily basis to fit the mood. As Gary Jobson is quoted as saying: "it is like a Window to the Sea".

His Highness the Aga Khan agreed to write the Foreword as he is passionate about the environment and sailing in beautiful parts of the world like the Costa Smeralda, where many pictures in this art book were taken.

The largest book ever produced is Sumo by Helmut Newton, published by Taschen. At over 3ft wide, Kos 20x20 is roughly the same dimensions but, at 200 pictures, with fewer pages so it can't claim to be the biggest. Sumo had a special binding machine built just for the job - but due to the use of carbon fiber for its covers, Kos 20x20 is stitched and bound by hand. ITV in the UK broadcast a television program in which the unique production process for this book was featured: http://www.kosphotos.com/...-Kos/ITV-Documentary

The mount can either be displayed on the floor, a table or screwed (securely!) to a wall. There is a Public Safety Notice inserted in the packaging which warns of potential harm to people (and pets!) if the book is not mounted and secured properly (instructions are included). And people with bad backs should not try to lift it on their own.

jeanmoss

Oct 11, 2019, 7:47 AM

Post #7 of 10 (572 views)
Shortcut

I have a wonderful book “Sailing Thoroughbreds”, by Beken of Cowes (England) with a forward by HRH The Prince Royal. This book is 14” high by 10 ½” wide, with full color plates of traditional and racing sailboats.

alpha20

Oct 15, 2019, 10:57 PM

Post #8 of 10 (508 views)
Shortcut
Assignment Help [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I blog quite often and I seriously thank you for your content. This great article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to take a note of your site and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your Feed as well
https://www.alphaassignmenthelp.com/research-paper-writing/
https://www.alphaassignmenthelp.com/

austinzajur

Oct 28, 2019, 8:32 AM

Post #9 of 10 (323 views)
Shortcut

Txs to all for the suggestions
reviews rabbit

marklee

Nov 2, 2019, 1:13 PM

Post #10 of 10 (206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [austinzajur] Coffee table picture books [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Date someone who respects your time. Someone who shares your core values. Someone who's in it for the same reasons. Our online dating site is very useful. Date a person who has passions. Someone who's interested in your interests.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules