Scuttlebutt Website SCUTTLEBUTT
SAILING NEWS
ForumIndex CLASSIFIED ADS Search Posts SEARCH

Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Do you need crew, or are you looking to crew?
Team McLube

mighty mouse

Nov 8, 2005, 12:28 PM

Post #1 of 12 (29656 views)
Shortcut
     Do you need crew, or are you looking to crew?  

Here are a few links to some articles written about my website.
http://www.thelog.com/...ewsview.asp?c=170260
http://www.argonautnewspaper.com/...ina_del_rey/mdr4.txt
http://www.thelog.com/...stsview.asp?c=156756
The Mariner wrote a couple of articles too but they dont have a way of viewing their articles via the internet.

My website is called www.steadycrew.com and what it does is provide crew for race boats, but it does it in a rather unique way. The site organizes the crew by each geographic area, and then the site has each geographic areas calendar of race events so that the crew can indicate which dates he/she is available for to crew, but the site also asks which positions each crew member feels he/she is capable of doing on the boat. So now we know that Mr. Crew Person is either from a particular geographic area or is willing to travel to a geographic area, is available on a particular date in that geographic area's calendar of races, and has a particular skill that a boat may need.

Meanwhile the same sort of questions are being asked of each skipper. Which area is the boat going to be raced from, on a race calendar specific date, and what positions does the skipper need to have filled (because his normal crew have to be away on business, or there is some wedding, etc.)

So the Steadycrew site matches crew to skippers, based on Geography, Race Calendar Specific Date, and the skills possesed vs. the skills needed.

What this does is reduce the time it takes to find crew on the site because the site gives a list of only 3 or 4 or 5 crew members that meet the criteria on any given date, rather than give a list of 100 people that are committed to other boats by now or may not even live in the area any longer. Also the site limits how many people can view the users contact information (both skippers and crew) to only those 3 or 4 or 5 specificly matched people (protecting peoples data). The other thing the site does is allow the crew candidates to view the contact information of the skippers and be able to contact them as opposed to the skipper always having to do all the work of finding crew. The www.steadycrew.com site has had phenominal success in the Southern California Area, from Santa Barbara to San Diego. 72,000 hits in July and 74,000 hits in August, September a record high of 150,000 hits, each month getting an average of 2000 visitors.

I have just added Northern California and all of its Calendars of races to the site which should in effect double the amount of users coming to the site. I will be adding the rest of the West Coast to the site before year end 2005, and starting next year I will start by adding Texas on through Florida and maybe even the entire East Coast by year end 2006. I will not be happy until I have every race event in every geographic area in the United States Including Hawaii and Alaska. I may even add Canada to the site as well.

Imagine the numbers of hits the site will have then, and imagine if you were going out of town on business and had a weekend to spend in Chicago for instance, well you could potentially go to the steadycrew site and sign up as being available to crew on that geographic areas calendar and get a list of 3 or 4 or 5 boats that need your skills on that weekend.

If thats not enough I have also created a feature wherein the skipper for each boat has his/her own website for his/her own boat. This is an organizational tool for each skipper to create his/her own crew list (not necessarily part of the bigger steadycrew crew list), and an area for that skipper to indicate which races he/she intends to race his/her boat. The crew have their own login to the site on this boat specific website, so that they can mark their individual availability for each race. The skipper can then see which positions are lacking on the boat for a specific date and then come to the broader Steadycrew crew list and advertise that a position is available in a geographic area on a race calendar specific date, and see the 3 or 4 or 5 names of fill in crew that may be available.

If you want to look around at the steadycrew website as a user of the site try skipper1 and pass for the skipper area, and crew1 and pass for the crew area. If you would like to take a look at the boat specific website you can go to one of four possible templates that each skipper has the choice of.
(1) http://steadycrew.com/skippertemplate1/
(2) http://steadycrew.com/skippertemplate2/
(3) http://steadycrew.com/skippertemplate3/
(4) http://steadycrew.com/skippertemplate4/
The crew only logins are the same skipper1/pass for skippers and crew1/pass for crew.
Michael L. Georgia
Computer/Network Consultant
Computers 'R Us
818 209 4967
mike@compu-r-us.com
Technology, Honestly
www.compu-r-us.com
A+, MCSE, CNE, CCNP, etc.

Sol Rosenberg

Nov 10, 2005, 1:09 PM

Post #2 of 12 (29541 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [mighty mouse] Do you need crew, or are you looking to crew? [In reply to]  

wow, using someone's forum for shameless promotion of your own schwag. When was the last time you had a good old fashioned boot in the nuts?

mighty mouse

Nov 11, 2005, 10:27 AM

Post #3 of 12 (29484 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Sol Rosenberg] Do you need crew, or are you looking to crew? [In reply to]  

Dear Sol,

Not that I am upset at you or anything but maybe you should check into things before getting on your high horse and letting people have it.

My site is not a money making idea, it was not started with the intention of making money, the goal is to simply get more boats out on the water by offering a tool for skippers to get and keep crew. My site is a free service to all skippers and all crew, no charge. It has been a complete labor of love (8 Months of my life) and I have one paying advertiser (W.D. Schock) and am hoping for a few more. I have spent countless hours and a few thousand of my own dollars to help folks just like you out when you need crew for a weekend regatta. I have compagned the site and got a few local newspapers to write some articles about the site, I am constantly taking in constructive critisism and updating the site, I am sending e-mails, I mean I have worked tirelessly on this thing for your benefit without much if any help.

So what do you do.... Look a gift horse in the mouth.

Do you know how this term came into existance? If someone gave you a horse back when horses were the only mode of transportation other than walking you were supposed to be thank full, it was considered bad form to walk right over and look the horse in the mouth to examine his teeth and its overall health directly infront of the person giving the gift as if you might be considering turning the gift down as if maybe you were above accepting the gift at all.

Mr. Rosenberg, when was the last time someone gave you an "Old Fasioned" boot in the nuts?

"Old Fasioned" "Boot" thus I thought the "Gift Horse" story would be appropriate, not that you know horses from sailing judging from your other posts here or anywhere else.
Michael L. Georgia
Computers 'R Us
818 209 4967
mike@compu-r-us.com
Technology, Honestly
www.compu-r-us.com

ForedeckSkuffle

Nov 11, 2005, 10:29 AM

Post #4 of 12 (29482 views)
Shortcut

Site doesn't seem to be very easy to use. Is that like self immolation, auto-nutz-bootage in reverse?

SassySandy
Deleted

Nov 11, 2005, 10:42 AM

Post #5 of 12 (29473 views)
Shortcut

>> I spoke with Mr. Leweck and in a gesture of reciprocity I am advertising the Scuttlebutt site from my site, as I have been for 6 months.

It is nice to know that Butt Pub permits advertisements on this "forum" in exchange for consideration give to Scuttlebutt. I am certain that this permits the "forum" to remain as a place for free and unbiased exchange of ideas and information between the sailing industry hacks. It certainly fits well with Butt Pub's normal biz practice of including advertisements in the newsletter under the guise of "news" while the "news" are simply copies of the PR statements distributed to anyone who'd read them.

Can anyone recommend an place for an unbiased exchange of information without censorship and whoring out by the forum owners? This place is clearly not it. Thanks!

redboat

Nov 11, 2005, 10:55 AM

Post #6 of 12 (29465 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [SassySandy] Do you need crew, or are you looking to crew? [In reply to]  

If Mr. Rosenberg did indeed look Mr. Georgia's proverbial gift horse in the mouth it appears that Mr. Georgia is stuck with one very unhealthy beast.

The Publisher

Nov 11, 2005, 10:56 AM

Post #7 of 12 (29466 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
>> I spoke with Mr. Leweck and in a gesture of reciprocity I am advertising the Scuttlebutt site from my site, as I have been for 6 months.

It is nice to know that Butt Pub permits advertisements on this "forum" in exchange for consideration give to Scuttlebutt. I am certain that this permits the "forum" to remain as a place for free and unbiased exchange of ideas and information between the sailing industry hacks. It certainly fits well with Butt Pub's normal biz practice of including advertisements in the newsletter under the guise of "news" while the "news" are simply copies of the PR statements distributed to anyone who'd read them.

Can anyone recommend an place for an unbiased exchange of information without censorship and whoring out by the forum owners? This place is clearly not it. Thanks!

Some clarification is needed:

1) Mike has contacted me, but I have not yet gone to his website, and have not agreed to any exchange offers. In fact, I have edited his two posts to remove "overstatements" and advertising information.

2) Regarding PR information we are sent, we review everything, delete any that are commercial, and excerpt the ones that we feel have true news merit. We do include 2-3 ads in each issue.

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

mighty mouse

Nov 11, 2005, 3:00 PM

Post #8 of 12 (29442 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [redboat] Do you need crew, or are you looking to crew? [In reply to]  

ForedeckScuffle, SassySandy, Redboat,

Where are your contributions to the sport? Let me take a look at what you have done for the sport and take my pot shots as well.
Michael L. Georgia
Computers 'R Us
818 209 4967
mike@compu-r-us.com
Technology, Honestly
www.compu-r-us.com

redboat

Nov 12, 2005, 3:43 PM

Post #9 of 12 (29424 views)
Shortcut

As your thread has already been sanitized by the Editor and the source of comment/controversy eliminated, why bother? In the course of almost 50 year of participating and contributing in varied ways to sailing I have never sought remuneration of any kind for my efforts. Therein lies the difference.

Good luck, hope you make lots of $$$$$$$$.

Redboat out.

mighty mouse

Nov 12, 2005, 8:59 PM

Post #10 of 12 (29420 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [redboat] Do you need crew, or are you looking to crew? [In reply to]  

Cuz you havent done anything worth being reimbursed for. Sailing is participating and thats good and all, but what have you done to get others sailing? What have you done to make it easier for others to keep sailing? I bet you havent even logged on or tried my silly little website, but you know what people are using to the tune of 4000 visits per month and people are getting rides on boats they would not have otherwise been able to get rides with, skippers are telling me they have been able to complete crews in order to go racing and so they are out on the course. What is it that you have done again?
Michael L. Georgia
Computers 'R Us
818 209 4967
mike@compu-r-us.com
Technology, Honestly
www.compu-r-us.com

SassySandy
Deleted

Nov 14, 2005, 7:53 AM

Post #11 of 12 (29366 views)
Shortcut

Ms. Bitter Mouse...since you axed, I shall answer. I sailed for 9 years. Over that course I brought 5 people into sailing, 10 people into my racing fleet, was involved in the fleet governing for 4 years, coached 10 skippers/boats, supported professionally 3 ocean racing campaigns (yes, I even made money in it), and maintained 3 sailing-related websites for the fleets and classes of boats I enjoy (for which I pay the server running fees out of my pocket). Now you can gently place that foot into your mouth and SUCK IT!
Now, what have you done besides creating a crappy website and spamming various forums?
Cheers!

The Publisher

Nov 14, 2005, 8:46 AM

Post #12 of 12 (29351 views)
Shortcut

Hmm... seems like this needs to be taken outside, or at least outside this forum. Before we completely break every forum rule, consider this thread locked and dead. - Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules