Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter
Team McLube

Lima

Nov 7, 2005, 6:07 AM

Post #1 of 12 (23051 views)
Shortcut
ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter Log-In to Post/Reply

Shocking statistic that, per an sporting association industry survey, sailing has gone from 6.7 million participants in 1988 to just over 2.6 million in 2004!

Can anyone do anything about it? Seems that the world has grown past sailing and while we have some pockets of success (and likely just spill-over from history's greatest period of economic expansion) there is a huge decline underway that no one can change.

I noticed that USSA's newsletter is subtitled "growing our sport" or something...do they? Can they?

RC

Nov 7, 2005, 6:16 AM

Post #2 of 12 (23050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lima] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Well, you have to have some NGB (national governing body) for lots of logistical reasons, but it sure seems that they are challenged by the nature of the sport (and maybe their own structure) in being an "answer" to the problem.

Thebutthouse

Nov 7, 2005, 7:45 AM

Post #3 of 12 (23043 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Shocking statistic that, per an sporting association industry survey, sailing has gone from 6.7 million participants in 1988 to just over 2.6 million in 2004!

I think the industry survey (which is done by a bunch of powerboaters) is full of crap....In 1988 they asked people have you ever sailed before or ever wanted to, in 2004 they asked do you consider yourself a sailor? Total irresponsible journalism to publish bullshit numbers like that....IMHO

kyle

Nov 7, 2005, 8:02 AM

Post #4 of 12 (23039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thebutthouse] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Surveys are always full of crap, and you can get them to say whatever you want...but the undeniable trend is down, big!

But, the thing is that there just doesn't seem to be anything that a "better organization" can do about it. Like horse racing, all sports go through ups and downs - and don't necessarily come back up - so the guys who are attacking the problem as a, "if we just advertise more, things will be fine" are probably missing the point.

IMO there needs to be a complete mind shift of how to approach a participation sport vs. a spectator sport. For some reason, people think that sailing can be a spectator sport for the masses and go at the "problem" that way, which is a loser.

Mummy

Nov 7, 2005, 10:38 AM

Post #5 of 12 (23027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyle] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Well let's be honest. W/L racing ALL the time is boring and people know it. Put some random leg stuff back in and people will start racing again. The races in our neighborhood that get the best turnout are the longer round the island races. I get so tired of 2 mile w/l, don't you? After all, our boat routinely hits 15 on a reach but rarely gets over 10 on a run. I would rather sail fast. And everytime it blows over 20 they cancel the f^cking thing anyway. How stupid is that?!

Roy

Nov 7, 2005, 12:36 PM

Post #6 of 12 (23010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyle] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Sailing is labor intensive, it's not a practical way to get from point a to b, it can be thrilling but often it's not, it's not much of a spectator sport except at the ac level. These days people are accustomed to getting their thrills with more noise, more speed, less work, and less effort needed to be good at it. Sailing only appeals to people who truly love the idea of using the wind, their wits and a good boat to go where they want to go, whether it's racing or cruising. That's never going to appeal to the masses. I think it would be great to "grow the sport", but whether theres 5 or 50 boats on the line doesn't make that much difference to me. I just like sailing and if everyone else wants to go play grand theft auto instead..that's cool, I guess. I can understand why people in the industry want to grow the sport, but I don't think it's ever going be a big market.

YCYC

Nov 8, 2005, 6:34 AM

Post #7 of 12 (22990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roy] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Well, there does really help to have a high level of activity in the sport. The more sailors, means more vendors (cheaper prices and more selection) better water access (more clubs, programs, racing) and more kids getting into the sport, which keeps it healthy.

Unfortunately, as you mention, the labor intensive aspect is a bit contrary to the way individuals and families spend their leisure time these days. But when done right, seeing the results of the labor is hard to improve on.

JP

Nov 8, 2005, 12:59 PM

Post #8 of 12 (22968 views)
Shortcut

Growing the Sport? I'm a USSA instructor and USSA is concerned with getting children involved in the sport, not adults. US Sailing is taking the same beaten path US Skiing Association has been fumbling along on for the past 25 years. Look at ASA. They are doing a fine job introducing adults to sailing. The success for sailing is opening new markets.

JP

Nov 8, 2005, 1:10 PM

Post #9 of 12 (22963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mummy] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Mummy; If you want to go fast, get out of the water.

Mummy

Nov 8, 2005, 1:55 PM

Post #10 of 12 (22960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JP] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Hmmmm, had to drive 4 hours this morning to deal with a speeding ticket I got a month ago. Of course I sped the whole way there and back! If you want to go really fast jump out of airplanes I guess. But I like being out on the ocean. It is a beautiful and wild place. I just would prefer going 20 knots while out there than I would 5 1/5 and I suspect most other people would too. But then I would rather it was blowing 25 that 15 too but I suspect most people would like the 15 better.

Bird Man

Nov 9, 2005, 7:12 AM

Post #11 of 12 (22926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mummy] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

going fast on the water is a ton of fun and a great way to get people involved in sailing, but as i have found out the hard way, unless everyone on the boat knows what they are doing, it can be a desaster and for alot of skippers finding 5 to 20 people who know what they are doing is really hard. this is why racing is usually canceled in the 20 kt range. if you still want to go out in 20+ its often more fun to do it when your not racing, and you can train people who dont know what's goign on because you can take your time in the manuvers. if you really want to have fun in heavy air, get a 3 person boat, like a lightning or a flying scott, and put 3 traps on each side, then go out in heavy air. thats fun, and cheeper than a big boat to fix when you f up.

JP

Nov 9, 2005, 6:37 PM

Post #12 of 12 (22903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bird Man] ISAF/USSA - Do they really matter [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Where do you race where racing is called in the 20kt range? Bunch of sissy's!

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules