Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Looking for old Quartertonners
Team McLube

Woudaboy

Mar 24, 2009, 8:57 AM

Post #1 of 17 (43117 views)
Shortcut
Looking for old Quartertonners Log-In to Post/Reply

Does anyone know location/availability of any old quartertonners? With much help I have identified old names, but having little luck locating boats or contacting owners. I have info on Magic Bus, but no response to e-mails but have phone # still to try. Last seen Afternoon Delight and Blitz/Rat Race were in the King Harbor/MDR area. Summertime Dream is in Alameda Marina and Blivit had moved back east. Star eyed Stella is at Southwestern YC. Trying to find an old "cool" boat to restore and have some fun with the kids. Any help is appreciated.

Art

rwilkins2432

Apr 6, 2009, 6:08 PM

Post #2 of 17 (43021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Woudaboy] Looking for old Quartertonners [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Art, there is a Peterson Quarter tonner on a trailer in Lexington,SC. Orginally owned by Peter Dodds of Charleston,SC. Guessing early to mid 70's. Call ne at 803-665-0195 if you want me to track down owner. Robby

Mike Penney

Apr 6, 2009, 11:41 PM

Post #3 of 17 (42987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Woudaboy] Looking for old Quartertonners [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Here in the UK, there has been a big resurgence in Quarter Tonners over the past four years or so. They are being restored to their former glory- in some cases better than original. They have an annual Quarter Ton cup regatta and have starts in many others. Today they race under IRC as there are too many variations in age and type.

Perhaps Magic Bus has found its way here

Fi@Melges24

Apr 7, 2009, 3:45 AM

Post #4 of 17 (42974 views)
Shortcut

There is indeed an enthusiastic revival of the Quarter Ton Class here in the UK and Europe. To find out more please visit www.quartertonclass.org or E-mail Quarter Ton Class Secretary Louise Morton on louisemorton2@aol.com.

I am not aware of Magic Bus racing here in the UK but her close sistership Runaway Bus is very active in the class. Beautifully restored by owner Paul Kelsey Runaway Bus not only look amazing but also enjoys racing success in both Quarter Ton Class events and many local IRC races and regattas. To find out more about Runaway Bus visit www.runawaybus.co.uk.

This year will see the fifth edition of the revival Coutts Quarter Ton Cup, hosted by the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club, Cowes from 15-18 July. With Quarter Tonners from all three iterations of the rule competing racing takes place under IRC and as well as really close competition there is also a great atmosphere to the regatta. The spirit and camaraderie of the original Quarter Ton fleet continues and the fleet is a wonderful mix of younger newcomers to the fleet and gnarly Quarter Ton old timers who should know better at their age, but clearly still haven't grown up.

It would be wonderful to welcome an American representative to this year's Coutts Quarter Ton Cup and anyone who is interested in competing should contact Louise on louisemorton2@aol.com.

If you would like to receive news updates about the Coutts Quarter Ton Cup please send your contact details to fiona.brown@fionabrown.com.

Fiona Brown
Coutts Quarter Ton Cup Press Officer
fiona.brown@fionabrown.com
skype fpbrown
+44 (0)7711 718470
www.quartertonclass.org

Rob Britton

Apr 7, 2009, 9:07 AM

Post #5 of 17 (42929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fi@Melges24] Looking for old Quartertonners [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Valkyrie (one of the three Eichenlaub built Peterson designed 1/4 tonners) was donated to Orange Coast College and may still be alive. We raced her for 15 years, modified her for MORC and retired the SDYC MORC fleet trophy.

Rob & Lynne Britton

SPB

Apr 7, 2009, 3:13 PM

Post #6 of 17 (42900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob Britton] Looking for old Quartertonners [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I just heard from Mike Tosse that Valkyrie was cut up a few years ago. He had found the boat next to a dumpster and put it back together to sail for a few years, then the boat started to break some major structure and it went into the dumpster. He sent along this photo of Valkyrie in SF.

When I talked to Dave Ullman about Blitz last month he said many of the old Ton boats were really built to race one season, or even one regatta. But with some TLC many are still out there.

Rob, didn't you have Star Eyed Stella? Is it still at SWYC? Is it ever used?

Attachments: Valkyrie.jpg (216 KB)

Rob Britton

Apr 7, 2009, 4:43 PM

Post #7 of 17 (42886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SPB] Looking for old Quartertonners [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

WOW! The photo brings back a flood of memories--the old painbox. We bought Valkyrie from the Neal/Riley/Hartman trio in 1976, they continued to build the SDYC fleet with Goose and then got Nelson to design Blivit (which was unbeatable). Stella joined the fleet from SWYC, have not seen her in many years. Those were the days my friend, we started 40 + boats in 3 MORA classes every other weekend. Racing 25 foot boats in the Cabrillo series....well we have some sea stories, believe me.

We donated Valkyrie to Orange Coast in 1989, sounds like she had a long and productive life. She was strip-planked mahogany with glass outside. Carl Eichenlaub built an aluminum mast step structure after we found the bottom once too often in a Hot Rum race and broke the keelson.

Rob Britton
s/v Aldebaran (not a 1/4 tonner)

SPB

Apr 8, 2009, 8:02 AM

Post #8 of 17 (42864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob Britton] Looking for old Quartertonners [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Goose was being given away free last month on Craigslist. It is on a trailer in Mission Bay. The guy is calling it a Peterson 25. I told him it wasn't, but he put up a new ad and said the same thing again. It is a modified Santana 25, originally a Shad Turner design.

I would think Valkyrie should have been as fast or faster than Goose in most conditions. I wonder why Neal made that change.

So I take it I was mistaken about you owning SES, and it is no longer at SWYC?

Rob Britton

Apr 8, 2009, 9:27 AM

Post #9 of 17 (42860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SPB] Looking for old Quartertonners [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Next time I get by SWYC I will see if SES is there--don't think so.

Goose was faster only in left over chop, which we have a lot of in San Diego. You are correct about her origins, they put bumps on her to cheat the IOR. Neal/Hartman/Riley bought her to sail while Blivit was created. I believe she had a bad mishap on the trailer at MBYC when rainwater shorted the starter solenoid and the engine ran till the strut failed.

Rob

SPB

Apr 8, 2009, 11:19 AM

Post #10 of 17 (42854 views)
Shortcut

So who did own SES at SWYC? I don't know why I thought it was you.

The SWYC yard had a few cool boats that never left their trailers, like Stell and the Zap 26.

Here we have Art willing to buy and restore one of these old relics, but no one knows where they are. Hopefully they haven't met the same fate as Valkyrie. Someone has to know where these boats are.

I know of another old Peterson Pintail (Loose Change) that can be had for next-to-nothing, but it would be much better for Art if we can find one of the more modern fractional boats for him.

Woudaboy

Apr 9, 2009, 11:21 AM

Post #11 of 17 (42816 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for your help SPB. He has helped me identify many leads, all without success. I am interested in the European recovery of the class, but these were boats from my youth, and now I have the time and some money to get one going again. If we could get the same momentum as in Europe that would be great, but it seems there are so few boats here, it might require a "road trip" to get some class action. I will be patient until the right boat comes along.

Art

Rob Britton

Apr 14, 2009, 2:36 PM

Post #12 of 17 (42213 views)
Shortcut

Star Eyed Stella is sitting on a double axle trailer at SWYC. Cosmetics are not good and the topsides are very rough, but looks like all the pieces are there.

Rob Britton

Woudaboy

Apr 15, 2009, 10:25 AM

Post #13 of 17 (42140 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for looking. I tried to contact the owner through SWYC but got no response. If it is a potential Ill try again.

Art

toddc

May 29, 2009, 11:18 AM

Post #14 of 17 (41499 views)
Shortcut

Art,
Do you have any interest in a Ranger 23 located in the Southeast?
Todd

BigJet767

May 31, 2009, 11:01 AM

Post #15 of 17 (41465 views)
Shortcut

There are some San Juan 24's and Santana 25's and Santana 525's out there and they are great 1/4 ton boats. I sailed a santana 25' MkI in South Florida and had great time sailing IOR and MORC in the 70's.

Steve

The Publisher

Jul 23, 2009, 10:16 AM

Post #16 of 17 (40955 views)
Shortcut

What do you get when you have 27 Quarter Tonners competing in a ten race series that leaves the top two boats separated by a half point… and that these skippers are married? Luckily shooters Paul Wyeth and Paul Todd were there to provide the answer: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/photos/09/0723a/

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

surfsharkk

Oct 25, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #17 of 17 (39968 views)
Shortcut

Hey Art,

I own Rat Race. It's been in New York for the past 20 years being used by a friend of mine. It's heading back to the West Coast this November to get restored. As for Afternoon Delight. That was refitted with a M 242 keel and shipped off to Pensicola Florida. Last I heard it was in the middle of it's restoration in the late 1990's when it fell victim to one of those hurricanes and was destroyed or badly damage.
I just got a hold of the Farr 727 Quick JABS. It's in fair shape in San Pedro. I'm working on getting that sailing right now while I wait for Rat Race to arrive from New York.
If you need anymore info you can e-mail me Surfsharkk@yahoo.com

Harry O

Viewing the Forums: nicholasedmunds and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules