Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Bahama 25 information question
Team McLube

micthomas

Nov 4, 2005, 5:16 PM

Post #1 of 6 (16079 views)
Shortcut
Bahama 25 information question Log-In to Post/Reply

Have you any information on this boat my Son just bought. A original hull and deck unfinished and looking for any helpful info to complete this boat.
It is a Bahama 25," built by Clackacraft.
The hull was damaged in the factory in '84, so they never finished it. It's been stored indoors, so appearances wise, it's in great shape, other than the bit of damage on the hull. Hull and deck are separated, He has the hatches, the rudder mold and the glass shells of a new rudder.
1. Ballast: I have an empty hull with a shoal keel that would have had lead in it, should they have finished it. A) Not being able to find any of the
original specs on the boat, how do I go about figuring how much ballast I need to put in the keel? B) Do I need to go with lead? What about other
materials? It's encapsulated, so I think I've got more options.
2. The Rig: How do I go about finding out what kind of sail area I'll need to drive the boat? I'd like to rig it as a cutter with a 'sprit. Do I start looking at other similar sized boats and guess? Is there some formula?
3. Anyone know of a cheap source of boat stands in the Northwest? :-)

If you can point us in the right direction it would be appreciated.

redboat

Nov 11, 2005, 10:58 AM

Post #2 of 6 (16041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [micthomas] Bahama 25 information question [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Is this a flush deck boat?

Alan H

Nov 11, 2005, 4:16 PM

Post #3 of 6 (16032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [micthomas] Bahama 25 information question [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The Bahama 25 that I'm familiar with is a late 1960's boat. It's a flush-decked, full keeled boat with a bathtub-style cockpit. However, they also made a few that look rather like slighty shortened folkboats.....actually rather handsome. They were made by Islander.

Is this what you have?

micthomas

Nov 11, 2005, 4:54 PM

Post #4 of 6 (16029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alan H] Bahama 25 information question [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I'm actually trying to get this information for a friend. But this is what he's told me so far.
I'll also supply the images he gave me of the hull and deck.

"It is old enough that it is difficult to find original info and spec sheet I did get a couple of pictures.
It has a shoal keel built in the hull just not filled with lead as yet. He was told it was a Bahama 25, built by Clackacraft.
The hull was damaged in the factory in '84, so they never finished it. It's been stored indoors, so appearances wise, it's in great shape,
other than the bit of damage on the hull. Hull and deck are separated, He has the hatches, the rudder mold and the glass shells of a new rudder."

Thanks for your help,

micthomas

Attachments: bahama1.jpg (24.3 KB)
  bahama3.jpg (32.2 KB)
  bahama2.jpg (25.6 KB)

exredux

Nov 11, 2005, 5:10 PM

Post #5 of 6 (16028 views)
Shortcut

Richmond YC Foundation in the SF Bay Area has a donated Bahama 25 for sale. It is not at all like a Bahama 24 with flush deck and all. It is a conventional trunk cabin with full keel. Quite nice looking. I have no technical info for it but do have contact with the former owner. You are welcome to visit and copy off all the information you need.

Alan H

Nov 12, 2005, 6:27 PM

Post #6 of 6 (16018 views)
Shortcut

That's it, though I've never heard of Clackacraft.

It's what Exredux is referring to, and there IS one for sale by the Richmond YC Foundation. They're kind of slow, but they'd be nice daysailing and overnighting/weekend boats for one or two people, along the coast. In terms of specs, I'm no help but I'd probably pour as much lead shot into that bilge as I could. Your friend can use the weights of the Coronado 25, Columbia Challenger and Islander Bahama 24 as a guide. Plus or minus a hundred pounds or so isn't going to matter much. If he can't get lead then have him get a much small-size scrap steel as he can...you know, nuts, bolts, angle iron scrap and so on. Get LOTS, like 400-500 pounds of it. Throw it in the bilge with a whole lot of soupy concrete and a little bit of pea gravel and wait a week. Then lay a couple layers of glass cloth or even just mat down on top of the concrete to seal the stuff off from the bilge water.

At least, if I was building one of these on the cheap, that's what I'd do.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules