Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
teak deck repairs
Team McLube

davepoole

Sep 16, 2008, 8:57 AM

Post #1 of 6 (14056 views)
Shortcut
teak deck repairs Log-In to Post/Reply

anyone know what that black rubberised filler is that they put between the gaps in the wood on a teak deck?? It has started crumbling on mine, so will need to be replaced. Also, any tips about said repair would be much appreciated!!!!

sailordave

Sep 16, 2008, 8:01 PM

Post #2 of 6 (14011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davepoole] teak deck repairs [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

It's some type of polysulfide compound. Go to the WOODENBOAT forum; www.woodenboat.com and click on the FORUM button. In Building and Repair you should be able to find all sorts of threads if you search for teak decks. Like this one I just found...
http://www.woodenboat.com/...light=teak+deck+seam

tildes

Sep 17, 2008, 1:44 AM

Post #3 of 6 (13966 views)
Shortcut

The black strip is made with a SIKA product. I suggest to contact the closest SIKA representative.

pwormwood

Sep 17, 2008, 6:26 AM

Post #4 of 6 (13910 views)
Shortcut

They had so many problems with it that the Sika teak caulking product is no longer offered in the US. It has a tendency in the tropics to go soft and get tracked all over the boat (and the back of your shorts...). The very best product and information for reseaming teak decks can be found at Teakdecking Systems - a company in Florida that builds over 125,000sq ft of teak decks each year. Their caulking, SIS 440, is used in every square foot. Imagine their warranty problems if their caulking worked anything less than perfectly...

By the way, reseaming a teak deck is a nasty, dirty job. done improperly, it can ruin a beautiful, expensive deck. If you do it yourself, learn all you can before starting. if you hire others, ask to see some of their previous work.

Before you start, evaluate whether your seams need to be re-caulked, or if what you really need is a new teak deck. If the deck is worn so thin that the seams are wider than they are deep, the caulking is going to have problems staying in the seams - so you will be wasting your money to re-seam. That being said, the total cost of replacing a teak deck on a boat like a Swan or Baltic will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200/sq ft, so you have to consider that as well.

capdsn

Sep 17, 2008, 6:52 AM

Post #5 of 6 (13896 views)
Shortcut

I have used A two-part polysulfide THIAKOL (sp) and graphite powder tinted west system epoxy.
The THIAKOL is much more flexable when dry, but some nasty, stinky stuff to apply (think black marshmallow fluff) the stuff gets everywhere. but lasts long and remains very flexible. repairs are more difficult than with the West System alternative.

davepoole

Sep 24, 2008, 3:11 AM

Post #6 of 6 (13716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [capdsn] teak deck repairs [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

thanks for all the comments folks - off to the local boatshow tomorrow to hopefully round up the gear I will need

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules