Sep 10, 2008, 2:36 PM
Post #14 of 15
Re: [AustraliaII] Questions about BMW Oracle Racing 90-foot trimaran
[In reply to]
Log-In to Post/Reply
Three questions for Craig to ask:
1. Does Oracle intend to experiment with a rigid wingmast, as we've seen on the C-Cats in the Little America's Cup in the past and also on Stars & Stripes '88?
2. Does Oracle intend to enter this boat in other competitions outside of the America's Cup (especially if its appeal is unsuccessful)?
3. Given that Oracle is still yet to send the defender its 'custom house registry certificate', as Alinghi is insisting it do, does this imply that this boat may not yet be the final word in its Cup challenge? That is, is there the likelihood that Oracle may yet build a sistership, especially if its appeal is successful, and issue the certificate for that boat instead if trials prove it is faster?
1. Wing mast: With the tight time frame to build, they decided that a wing mast would be too much to take on. Part of the problem is the logistics involved to take it down.
2. Regarding other uses for the boat, they haven't thought about it yet.
3. The certificate is required from the challenger, and the courts currently find that the Spanish club is the challenger. Also, the cert is for the boat that will be used in the challenge, and the timeline for the Cup could now delay the racing until late 2009 or 2010, which will provide enough time to build a second boat. Currently, the team claims that no other boats are being built.
- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt