Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Gill is good
Team McLube

Steve Gregory

Nov 4, 2005, 12:01 AM

Post #1 of 18 (24988 views)
Shortcut
Gill is good Log-In to Post/Reply

Nice to see the love from Gill supporting the Scuttlebutt Forums. Talk about getting in on the ground floor.

Butt Pirate/o\
Deleted

Nov 4, 2005, 8:57 AM

Post #2 of 18 (24957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve Gregory] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I started out liking Gill gear because the price point was good. I have left them because my stitching did not hold up well on my gill foulies. I prefer Musto these days.

John Tormey

Nov 4, 2005, 9:07 AM

Post #3 of 18 (24951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Butt Pirate/o\] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

You should contact them as they are good folks. Probably just a one-time occurance.

thedude

Nov 4, 2005, 9:56 AM

Post #4 of 18 (24937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Tormey] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I always thought they were crap. Worse Seaboots ever.

SailHer

Nov 4, 2005, 10:34 AM

Post #5 of 18 (24924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thedude] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I dunno

I've blown out the knees AGAIN (yes, foredeck) on my "Gill OS - somethings" - red with blue knees. I paid a handfull of (Cdn) dollars for this stuff, but I'm starting to think they won't hold up for me??

First pair of 'trousers' lasted from Christmas till mid-June then there was a gaping hole in the knee, bout 2" dia. Took them back to West Marine who pulled a brand new set off the rack and handed them to me. Great.

Next set lasted less <= 2 years, now both knees are gone. Do I take them back again? I'm burning out on this, should I switch to Helly's or Musto's or something? I would like to not buy something off the internet as I feel the need to try stuff on. I seem to have a dilemma....

Is there a good outlet in Vancouver for something that will actually hold up?

Thanks in adv for the help...

SH

Steve Gregory

Nov 4, 2005, 10:53 AM

Post #6 of 18 (24912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailHer] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Maybe you are buying the wrong model gear for your type of sailing. You got to bite the bullet on the front end, and spend the money for the gear with the kind of reinforcement you need.

SailHer

Nov 4, 2005, 10:57 AM

Post #7 of 18 (24911 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Steve,

Fair enough. Can't ask it to do something that it's not designed to do.

So what should I get? I see hotshots with HH with some form of Kevlar enforced knee zones - any recommendations?

Steve Gregory

Nov 4, 2005, 11:01 AM

Post #8 of 18 (24908 views)
Shortcut

Probably need to go to a store with a good selection. Stick with the major brands, and take a look at how your gear is wearing out, and what alternative exist that you think would hold up better. The heavier the gear will wear better, but might be less comfortable. I imagine each brand fits differently, and then there is the all-important fashion decision on what colors look best.

redboat

Nov 4, 2005, 11:19 AM

Post #9 of 18 (24899 views)
Shortcut

Have found Gill to be second rate stuff. Boots and jackets specifically. Gimme Musto or HL anytime.

DastardlyDick
Deleted

Nov 4, 2005, 6:45 PM

Post #10 of 18 (24857 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
..... then there is the all-important fashion decision on what colors look best.

There is a company making knee patches of carbon/kevlar composite. Looks cool, and are available in fast black/blue/red/or yellow woven fabric design. Can't recall the company name, but black is always fast and a great fashion statement.

Bird Man

Nov 5, 2005, 12:22 AM

Post #11 of 18 (24839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [redboat] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

i have been using my musto pants for 2 years on the pointy end and i have not had a problem, they still look new. id go with that if i were you

sailstoo

Nov 5, 2005, 4:03 AM

Post #12 of 18 (24829 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks Steve,

Fair enough. Can't ask it to do something that it's not designed to do.

So what should I get? I see hotshots with HH with some form of Kevlar enforced knee zones - any recommendations?

We do a lot of scrambling around on small one-design (J24 and J22, Fleets #1) foredecks and, while they're not the most comfortable things in the world, a set of kneepads work and feel great. With or without the Foulies.

PaulK

Nov 6, 2005, 6:26 PM

Post #13 of 18 (24779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DastardlyDick] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Went and looked at Gill gear yesterday at WM. I cannot understand why the arms and shoulders of the tops are in dark colors. In a MOB situation, this would seem counterintuitive and dangerous. The part of the gear that might be visible above or at water level becomes cammouflaged in the water instead. Do people think they'll be dead before they hit the water, and don't want their friends to find them that way? Fashion has its place, but I'll buy all-yellow gear, thanks.

msherman

Nov 7, 2005, 3:52 AM

Post #14 of 18 (24761 views)
Shortcut

I remember when Gill was clearly the low-priced alternative here int he US.

Since then, they seem to become one of the premiere manufacturers.

Thebutthouse

Nov 7, 2005, 7:50 AM

Post #15 of 18 (24745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulK] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
Went and looked at Gill gear yesterday at WM. I cannot understand why the arms and shoulders of the tops are in dark colors. In a MOB situation, this would seem counterintuitive and dangerous. The part of the gear that might be visible above or at water level becomes cammouflaged in the water instead. Do people think they'll be dead before they hit the water, and don't want their friends to find them that way? Fashion has its place, but I'll buy all-yellow gear, thanks.

Ah did you look at the hood you DF??? Hood is high-vis neon yellow green and prop the only part of you boobing out of the water after you trip and fall overboard....as for gear wearing out in 2-3 years bring it back as Gill has a lifetime warranty...

DastardlyDick
Deleted

Nov 7, 2005, 7:57 PM

Post #16 of 18 (24714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulK] Gill is good [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I was referring to black kneepads - not the whole suit. If you want to make a fashion statement in all black - save a ton of $$$$ and just buy a neophrene diving suit. Plus it has a lot more built-in buoyancy.

BTW - anyone know how long it takes to get an email response from Gill ? Sent them note on Friday and got automated email telling me they would respond "soon". What is "soon"?

mikehmc

Nov 9, 2005, 10:45 PM

Post #17 of 18 (24659 views)
Shortcut

They broke into my car to steal the Musto offshore jacket. Damn glad they left the Gill that dark day.

Can2728

Nov 17, 2005, 6:16 AM

Post #18 of 18 (24611 views)
Shortcut

Gul has a very cool pair of Kevlar Knee pads... about $35 or so... this may be the best alternative...

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules