Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Jamestown Bridge vs J92 Story
Team McLube

nssailor

Jul 3, 2008, 7:25 AM

Post #1 of 5 (10475 views)
Shortcut
Jamestown Bridge vs J92 Story Log-In to Post/Reply

A number of years ago (?1996) we took our J/92 from Nova Scotia to Newport for the J/92 North Americans. Had a fun time and good racing at Ida Lewis Yacht Club. At the end of the regatta (tired, happy) we motored up from Ida Lewis to Wickford where the boat was to be hauled on the tide the next morning. As we motored up past Goat I. and Rose I. we were careful to watch the channel markers to stay off Gull Rocks. However ......... just at the point that we were looking up, saying 'isn't it wierd how those bridges always look so much lower than they really are ... always look like they're going to hit the mast' ......
we hit the mast!! Well actually, the windex and wind instrument wand hit the understructure of the old Jamestown bridge! If we had been 10 feet to port, we probably would have motored blissfully through. If we had been 10 feet to starboard, we probably would have taken the rig out of the boat and created all manner of damage. Guess it depends if you're a glass half-full or half-empty kind of guy.
Anyway, just the other day I came across half a windex which has been in my toolbox all these years! What I would like to do is mount it on a board, along with a good picture (or series of pictures) of the demolition of the bridge. I would add a suitable plaque to commemorate the event. What I need is a hi-res (suitable for printing) copy (or series of pics) of the demolition. I can find low-res versions on the web, but nothing that would print reasonably.
If anyone can help me out ..... please PM me. Thanks.

Colin Mann
J/92 Poohsticks

The Publisher

Jul 3, 2008, 9:06 AM

Post #2 of 5 (10470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nssailor] Jamestown Bridge vs J92 Story [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Here's a link to photos, with the photog Emily L. Ferguson's website info for follow-up: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/photos/06/0420/

Famous photog Daniel Forster was also snapping that day: http://www.yachtphoto.com/

chuckkesson

Jul 6, 2008, 9:50 PM

Post #3 of 5 (10422 views)
Shortcut

If you were leaving Newport,RI and headed north to Wickford up the East Passage, you could pass between Goat Island and Rose Island.

Gull Rock is just north of the Pell/Newport (not the Jamestown) bridge and Coasters Harbor Island. There is a small opening, just west of Gull Rock where your J92's mast might have just/not enough clearance. See NOAA chart 13223.

The "old" Jamestown, and new Verrazano bridge, spans the West Passage.

If you want a picture of the Pell/Newport Bridge in the vicinity of Gull Rock, please reply to this post.

Chuck

nssailor

Jul 7, 2008, 4:16 AM

Post #4 of 5 (10403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckkesson] Jamestown Bridge vs J92 Story [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Ahhh ..... I'm apparently confused about the bridges! I was working from memory and the chart that we got at the time. I assumed (is the understructure of the Pell/Newport similar to what the old Jamestown bridge was) the bridge we passed under was the one that was subsequently demolished? It was definitely the channel west of Gull Rock that we were passing through. From the pictures of the Jamestown bridge I assumed that was the one, as I remembered the understructure. Obviously, now that I look, I see the 'double' bridge on the west side of Conanicut Island on the chart. For my education, is there anything on the chart that tells me what the clearance under the bridge is?

Anyway, thanks to those who pointed me to the pictures I asked for ....
What I really need, as you correctly point out, is a picture of the Pell/Newport bridge, although my story isn't quite as good since that one hasn't been demolished in spectatular fashion!

Colin

The Publisher

Jul 7, 2008, 4:07 PM

Post #5 of 5 (10289 views)
Shortcut

I wasn't much help either, but Daniel Forster kindly forwarded this image that he took during the demo of the Jamestown Bridge.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules