Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
What was your favorite event in 2007?
Team McLube

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mzuteck

Dec 12, 2007, 6:52 PM

Post #41 of 47 (48949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] What was your favorite event in 2007? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Absolute favorite even of all time, this year included, is the Windsurfing Dinosaur Races at Mud Lake (aka Houston Texas). Why is that? Well to start with it is one design racing at its best. That is right you don't even have to own a board to sail. Just show up with $10 and you are good to go. Checkout the photo rich in history of windsurfing. Those are the original dino boards at their best. And if that is not enough the minimal entry fee gets you all the beer, sodas, water (yuck!) and beer you can drink. Cap off the event with a pizza party what could possibly be better? Ooops my bad did I forget to mention the heckling barge? That is right we rotate through all the boards so roughly 1/3 of the fleet gets to assist in running the race, downing a beverage of choice or even supporting their favorite competitors in a manner of their choosing. This is the best opportunity to view tight course racing since I was in college so a really great learning experience, excessively beginner friendly and it just simply has to be the best value for the dollar around. Alright enough of the blab, who all is in for next years Dino aka intergalactic Stock Windsurfer World Championship of the World of the World of the world (fade out)....
Attachments: IMG_2480_1.JPG (47.6 KB)

The Publisher

Dec 13, 2007, 5:21 AM

Post #42 of 47 (48934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] What was your favorite event in 2007? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

From sgmcgown:
Best regatta is the Turnback Canyon Race sponsored by the Austin Yacht Club Austin, Texas

The Publisher

Dec 13, 2007, 5:23 AM

Post #43 of 47 (48933 views)
Shortcut

From Houdisdad :

Mates

You have to check out the Arizona Yacht Club's Birthday Regatta. This is my overall favorite regatta. It is a great event! They hold it the weekend prior to the Martin Luther King holiday for travelers benefits. Curmudgeon, you should check it out. Those folks know hospitality. The people there are awesome. They have boats come in from all over the country; Long Island, Chicago, DC, Alabama, Washington, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida.

I hope to sail with them coming up January 18-20, work permitting. I have been fortunate to sail there last year and few years ago also. This event gets bigger each year. They usually have a boat manufacturer there along with two or three sailmakers. I heard they already have established a Viper 640 Fleet. I met one of the guys in the club and saw that he was recently choosen as US Sailing's sailor of the week and he is building his own Mini from a kit out of Africa.

They have awesome food and parties. They have a Pirate WinkFleet that Rocks. They have a fleet for all boats under probably 34-36 feet. Did I mention Rum? Oh yea, they have that too! Mount Gay is one of the sponsors at the night parties.

This club is definitely the Jewel in the Desert. If your not at Key West, don't miss this one! I hope to make it back. Thanks to the people atSmileSmile AYC!

elf

Dec 13, 2007, 9:23 AM

Post #44 of 47 (48925 views)
Shortcut

Every year I go over to Bristol, RI to the Herreshoff Museum, and every year the most beautiful things come out to chase each other around for a whole day. Although I had good weather at the Opera House Cup as well, my favorite event this year was still the Herreshoff Rendezvous.

clegeman

Dec 13, 2007, 1:47 PM

Post #45 of 47 (48916 views)
Shortcut

Long Beach Race Week because my team won the Catalina 37 Nationals. Charlie Legeman

The Publisher

Jan 15, 2008, 7:28 AM

Post #46 of 47 (48883 views)
Shortcut

To celebrate the 2500th issue of Scuttlebutt, we marked the moment by celebrating the great events from the 2007 sailing season. The 'buttheads have submitted the events they enjoyed the most in 2007 - 41 in all.

Here are the submissions:

US Multihull Championship (Hobie Alter Cup) - Melbourne, Florida
USS Constellation Cup Baltimore, MD
Captain Island Race - City Island, NY
Charity Fun Regatta Newfoundland
Swiftsure Race - Victoria, BC
Catalina Island series Long Beach, CA
Long Beach Race Week Long Beach, CA
Flying Scot North Americans - Deltaville VA
40th Anniversary Race - Porto Cervo, Italy
Marblehead Race Week Marblehead, MA
Louie's Last Regatta Milwaukee, WI
MC Scow Midwinters - Eustis, FL
High Sierra regatta - Huntington Lake, CA
Rolex International Keelboat Women's Championship - Houston, TX
The Good Old Boat Regatta Annapolis, MD
US Laser Masters Nationals - Wrightsville Beach, NC
Whidbey Island Race Week - Whidbey Island, WA
NOOD Regatta Annapolis, MD
Annapolis Race Week Annapolis, MD
The Red Fox Regatta - Northern Michigan (Lake Charlevoix)
Delta Ditch Run - Richmond, CA to Stockton, CA
Voiles de Saint-Tropez - St. Tropez, France
Newport to Cabo Race Newport Beach, CA
Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race Marblehead, MA
Hot Rum Series San Diego, CA
The Monsoon Cup Terengganu, Malaysia
International Rolex Regatta - St. Thomas, USVI
Screwpile Challenge Solomons, MD
Lauderdale-Key West Race Ft Lauderdale, FL
Classic Moth Boat Association's National Championship - Elizabeth City, NC
Laser Radial US Olympic Trials - Third Beach, RI
Kings Day Regatta Jacksonville, FL
The Dickerson Association Rendezvous - Chesapeake Bay, MD
The Pineapple Cup - Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Montego Bay, Jamaica
The Mudnight Madness Event - Mystic River to and around Block Island
The Verve Cup Chicago, IL
The Great River Drop Regatta - Lake Chickamauga, TN
Windsurfing Dinosaur Races Houston, TX
The Turnback Canyon Race - Austin, Texas
Birthday Regatta Tempe, AZ
Herreshoff Rendezvous Bristol, RI

The Publisher

Jan 15, 2008, 7:37 AM

Post #47 of 47 (48881 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Scuttlebutt will be publishing its 2500th newsletter in December 2007, and we wanted to mark the moment by celebrating the great events from the 2007 sailing season.

Tell us what event you enjoyed most in 2007 and why.

All posts submitted by December 19th will be automatically entered to win giveaways from Harken, McLube, and Mount Gay Rum.

To submit your event, you need to be logged in. After that, hit reply and type away.

And the winners are:
JScott - Marblehead Race Week
leroi - Screwpile Challenge
SailTrim - Mudnight Madness Event

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules