What was your favorite event in 2007?
Team McLube

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Publisher

Dec 5, 2007, 7:36 AM

Post #1 of 47 (339810 views)
Shortcut
What was your favorite event in 2007? Log-In to Post/Reply

Scuttlebutt will be publishing its 2500th newsletter in December 2007, and we wanted to mark the moment by celebrating the great events from the 2007 sailing season.

Tell us what event you enjoyed most in 2007 … and why.

All posts submitted by December 19th will be automatically entered to win giveaways from Harken, McLube, and Mount Gay Rum.

To submit your event, you need to be logged in. After that, hit reply and type away.

John Williams

Dec 5, 2007, 11:08 AM

Post #2 of 47 (339799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] What was your favorite event in 2007? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Good thread idea!

Far and away, I most enjoyed the US Multihull Championship for the Hobie Alter Cup. The event was a US SAILING Championship hosted by the Melbourne Yacht Club in Florida under some terrific conditions. The race management team was top shelf, the administration by both the volunteers from US SAILING and from the host club was superb, and the fleet that qualified for the event through a national ladder series was extremely competitive. The event was sponsored by Rolex and several local businesses like West Marine and Performance Sail and Sport.

I've been fortunate to have been invited to sail as crew in this unique event four times in the last 10-12 years. Catamaran manufacturers support the event by providing new boats every year, which are rotated through the fleet to provide strictly-controlled one-design conditions - you race each heat on a different boat. The rotation system (borrowed from RC boats) has evolved over the years and has reached a pinnacle, in my opinion, providing for the most competitive yet definitive outcome.

The boat selected this year played a role in the level of my enjoyment - it was the Blade F16 manufactured by Vectorworks Marine in Florida. Only one or two of the 20 teams at the event had ever sailed this relatively new platform. The F16 uses a light-weight, high-tech approach in producing a very nimble spinnaker cat that was a joy to sail.

I didn't just enjoy this event because I wound up on the podium, although that was like being handed a cake made of icing. The Alter Cup tops my list each year that I have qualified, even when placing DFL (true story). I love it for the one-design purity and the elimination of factors related to tuning, time on the boat, or the number of tricks you might know about how to sail the boat faster. This year the combination of the people that were at the event, the weather conditions, the quality of the host club and race management, and the gold medal my team took home, all conspired to make that week-long event the standout in a great year of sailing.

Best moment? Waaaaay overstanding A-pin in about 18-knots sustained, in the lead - my skipper says to me, "You're too uptight - can't you just enjoy this moment? We could be in last a heartbeat from now." To make his point, he threw his head back and screamed "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" all the way to the mark. I never laughed so hard.

John Williams
Formula 18 USA 70

chrisl

Dec 5, 2007, 11:45 AM

Post #3 of 47 (339796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] What was your favorite event in 2007? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Signed up for my first regatta this past year. I'd never been out for a race before, but I figured I would give it a try. The regatta was the USS Constellation Cup - its fairly casual racing, but now I've been bit by the racing bug. It was a blast. We finished 11 out of 17 boats, but I had a great time practicing, racing, and celebrating afterwards - and made some friends during the whole process. I can't wait for next summer.

Dave Shulman

Dec 5, 2007, 7:46 PM

Post #4 of 47 (339764 views)
Shortcut

Favorite Event--The Douglaston Yacht Squadron's Captain Island Race. The boats start in Western LI sound near City Island and race to and back from Captains Islands, off Greenwich CT. You spend the entire first half of the race deciding which way to round the islands, and the entire second half discussing whether you went the correct way. What really makes this race is the combination of racing "styles" and the GREAT afterparty that Douglaston has. They set an example for us all on Long Island Sound.
DLS

Mac Moss

Dec 6, 2007, 5:45 AM

Post #5 of 47 (339713 views)
Shortcut

Smile I know you are referring to a sailing (racing) regatta but since we don't race at the Lewisporte Yacht Club (Newfoundland) we instead organized a charity fun regatta for power boats and sailboats. We did an obstacle course for each division and then a 14 mile poker run out the bay. Everyone had a teriffic time dressed as pirates and we raised $30,000 for our local hospitals. So much fun that we're doing it again in July 2008. See photos at http://healthfoundationsregatta.notlong.com Mac

cksail

Dec 6, 2007, 9:47 AM

Post #6 of 47 (339680 views)
Shortcut

This year's Swiftsure was a doozy and was my favorite event in 2007 (and I think the favorite event this year for most all of the competitors). It was a fast race (perhaps the fastest on record) with strong but generally manageable winds for most of the race. Except at Race Rocks. There the winds doubled from about 18 to 36 knots just as boats were squeezing between the rocks and shore. Naturally, for most boats this was during the black of night with everyone pretty tired. There were more than a few spectacular wipe-outs (not that anybody could see them--just experience them). We ended up pinned on our side after a hard knock-down that buried one crew member face first and waist deep over the life-lines in the water, put a right angle in our spinnaker pole and pushed us over the shallows and to within shouting distance to the rocky shoreline. We weren't the only boat with lots of excitement. This was all on top of the grandeur of the Swiftsure, with over two hundred boats of all sizes and shapes gathering in beautiful, historic Victoria harbor before racing out the Strait of Juan de Fuca to or towards the North Pacific Ocean, and back. Great race, great boats, great people, great party, great time!

pat mccormick

Dec 6, 2007, 9:55 AM

Post #7 of 47 (339677 views)
Shortcut

The LBYC Catlaina Isand series. Relaxed low key racing with friends over to Catalina on Saturday, go ashore Saturday night for dinner and a few drinks (sometimes too many drinks), race home on sunday. I have been doing this off and on for almost 40 years and it my all time favorite regatta/series.

dbs01

Dec 6, 2007, 10:22 AM

Post #8 of 47 (339672 views)
Shortcut

My regatta schedule was shorter than usual this year, but Long Beach Race Week stands out (as it does every year!) It's always nice to come back to the Long Beach Yacht Club and sponsors Acura and Ullman Sails always treat us well. For the J boat sailors, it's great to be all in one place (for the most part) - and to be able to watch the big boat sailors try to get in and out of the relatively small slips in the harbor. Wind wasn't as big this year as it usually is, which was actually nice for a change. It's also one of the best managed races we go to!

Bruce Cattanach

Dec 6, 2007, 10:29 AM

Post #9 of 47 (339671 views)
Shortcut

I've sailed Regattas since 1967 and by FAR the best was the Flying Scot North American's at Fishing Bay Yacht Club in Deltaville VA. The attention to detail in the organization on land and on the race course was beyond belief. The club had cleared out the entire dinghy storage area for the Flying Scots that were dry sailed. Try to find a club that could have ALL its members remove their boats from dry storage ! FBYC rented 6 lawn tractors for the regatta to move boats and trailers around. Measurement was by the book, quick, accurate and easy for the competitors. Hospitality was everywhere with members helping throughout the event. Even the drink cups were "logo" with the event logo. Dinners were located throughout the area, with excellent food, drink and every element was handled with class and precision. On the water - the RC ordered up excellent wind and put together a solid series of races. Seeing 100 + Flying Scots on the water and racing was awesome. The finest regatta I have attended. I can not believe another would ever eclipse this at FBYC.
Bruce Cattanach
Level 1 Instructor Trainer

Scott King

Dec 6, 2007, 6:10 PM

Post #10 of 47 (339638 views)
Shortcut

My favorite regatta this year was the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda’s 40th Anniversary Race in September. We sailed the 12 meter Courageous with a partial “pickup” crew, no race instructions and about 15 minutes of practice before starting a minute and a half late over the line!

Through sheer luck we started on the favored end ahead of 95% of the fleet on a blue sky, flat water cruise down the emerald coast of Sardinia. The scenery was fantastic, the company stellar and Courageous seemed to get magically lifted around every rocky point. Throughout the afternoon we were treated to a parade of Wally boats working their way past us on the reaches only to reel them in a bit on the windward portions of the course.

We finished in a clutch of 70 to 80 footers and ahead of all the other 12 meters for 2nd Place overall! The awards ceremony that night was a classic party you only experience at the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda. We watched a finale of unbelievable fireworks from Courageous’ tender in the middle of the harbour that were so close Ray Charles could have felt the concussion of exploding colour.

The hidden bonus came the next day. Porto Cervo’s infamous Mistral paid a visit canceling the first day of racing in the 12 Meter series with high winds…no pounding upwind packing spinnakers with a hangover was required!

BdaSailor

JScott

Dec 6, 2007, 9:35 PM

Post #11 of 47 (339618 views)
Shortcut

Marblehead Race Week. Still crazy after all these years. Pure One Design regatta. Over 450 boats. Juniors and Seniors. Hanging out in a beautiful historic New England town in the end of July. Parties every evening. The town is a sailing pageant. Hosted by 3 great clubs in one compact location. Good Race Committees. Good Lobstah!

mkesolo

Dec 7, 2007, 3:26 AM

Post #12 of 47 (339606 views)
Shortcut

Louie's Last Regatta on Milwaukee Bay is my favorite event of the year. It is the last sailing event of the year, and the biggest regatta of the season. It is a charity event with a healthy dose of fun. This year there were almost 150 boats from a huge steel ketch to Lasers - every boat in town is invited, no yacht club affiliation or valid PHRF certificate required. The race committee cheerfully helps anyone who forgot what time they start and starts are counted down over the radio. After a relatively long and challenging race, everyone repairs to a local brew pub to tell stories and raise money for the local children's hospital. Sailors who rarely race mix with the local racers and some get the bug and start racing the following spring. Fun, racing, sailing...it's what got me started in the first place.

SV

Dec 10, 2007, 6:39 AM

Post #13 of 47 (339451 views)
Shortcut

The best event yearly for me has to be the MC Scow Midwinters. This is an event that is held anually at the Lake Eustis Sailing Club and typically has 70-80 boats. The hospitality is always second to none. The regatta is very organized and gets excellent support from the builder and sailmakers. There is a Melges U seminar prior to the start of the regatta to help get your skills in order after a long winter. Andy Burdick is always motoring around offering freindly advice to anyone who asks between races during the regatta. There is a great regatta kick off party and a social event every evening. After the club functions, the regatta party moves to a local pub around the corner where you can chat with all the fellow competitors about the racing. The lake is a huge round lake that offers a huge race course in any wind direction. The RC does a fantastic job of setting courses and communicating to the competitors on and off the water with VHF. This is a 3 day event that ends Saturday so everyone can get on the road and back to work by Monday morning. The MC midwinters is my favorite regatta of 2007 and I am certain the 2008 will be just as great.

SV

mikehmc

Dec 10, 2007, 4:40 PM

Post #14 of 47 (339426 views)
Shortcut

the ones I got to help volunteer for and race in. Different year, but tons of fun and learned alot for future events from very experienced folks.

Sailoranne79

Dec 11, 2007, 6:44 AM

Post #15 of 47 (339384 views)
Shortcut

I can easily say that the best regatta of the year for me was a tie between 2 of them! The first one was the 2007 High Sierra regatta that I sailed in my own boat (which I won! Wink). It is held up in Huntington Lake, CA high up in the mountains in the most beautiful area. The winds are always blowing and the sun is always shinning. The second one was the 2007 Rolex International Keelboat Women's Championships. That was my first real big all women's event and it was unbelievable! The J-22 is a totally fun boat and the people I raced with were just awesome. But most of all Houston Yacht club was the most down-to-earth hospitable club I have ever been too! They put on just an awesome regatta and without a doubt had the best events planned in the evenings.

Senta #567
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5940/img0651dg7.jpg

The Publisher

Dec 11, 2007, 10:39 AM

Post #16 of 47 (339368 views)
Shortcut

Great info so far... keep it coming. Here is a summary of the events posted so far:

US Multihull Championship (Hobie Alter Cup) - Melbourne, Florida
USS Constellation Cup – Baltimore, MD
Captain Island Race - City Island, NY
Charity Fun Regatta – Newfoundland
Swiftsure Race - Victoria, BC
Catalina Island series – Long Beach, CA
Long Beach Race Week – Long Beach, CA
Flying Scot North Americans - Deltaville VA
40th Anniversary Race - Porto Cervo, Italy
Marblehead Race Week – Marblehead, MA
Louie's Last Regatta – Milwaukee, WI
MC Scow Midwinters - Eustis, FL
High Sierra regatta - Huntington Lake, CA
Rolex International Keelboat Women's Championship - Houston, TX

All posts submitted by December 19th will be automatically entered to win giveaways from Harken, McLube, and Mount Gay Rum.

Alfred Poor

Dec 11, 2007, 7:22 PM

Post #17 of 47 (339340 views)
Shortcut

Having already garnered a stylish Scuttlebutt chapeau for this event in a prior year, I expect that I will not be eligible for another prize, but that does not cause me a moment's hesitation to nominate it again: the Good Old Boat Regatta, held on the Chesapeake Bay the same October weekend as the Annapolis boat show. The event is for boats of "a certain maturity", and I describe the event as "a bunch of beautiful boats orbiting the same sequence of government marks in rather loose formation." It is the one race event that I enter each year, and the low-stress, high-fun atmosphere is an annual source of renewal and joy. This year, the Bay surprised us once again, saving a batch of August weather for us; the ensuing drift-a-thon gave crews a chance to take a late season swim on the "downwind" leg. And the fact that only two boats crossed the finish within the time limit didn't seem to bother anyone. The party is also low key and fun, and the live music jam now seems to be an indispensable part of the program. It's one event where novice and experienced racers are both welcome, and they keep coming back.

Alfred Poor
1973 Tartan 34C #288 "Jambalaya"

David Hartman

Dec 11, 2007, 7:40 PM

Post #18 of 47 (339331 views)
Shortcut

The US Laser Masters Nationals at Carolina Yacht Club in Wrightsville Beach, NC has to be it. Sixty eight masters sailors enjoyed great Atlantic Ocean sailing in a beautiful location, a club that knows how to host an event on the water and on the beach, a chance to visit with many old friends and meet some new ones. The verdict was almost unanimous -- we'd go back again anytime.

jibeset

Dec 11, 2007, 7:41 PM

Post #19 of 47 (339330 views)
Shortcut

My choice would be Whidbey Island Race Week. We are celebrating 26 years of the best sailing in the Northwest. Yachting Magazine first promoted Whidbey Island Race Week in 1983 with a new Oak Harbor Yacht Club building and an eager community ready to welcome the sailors from Washington, Oregon, British Columbia and beyond. In 1994 Northwest Marine Productions assumed responsibility for the event with a grass roots attitude tailoring everything from the racing to shoreside activities creating the best sailing event possible for the local sailors. For many a year Whidbey Island Race Week has had the nickname of “Adult Summer Camp” and to this day this moniker still holds true. There are those of us who have been participating for 26 years. We have become older and we now find a new generation of our children and grand children partaking in the sailing and shoreside activities. Whidbey Island Race Week keeps us connected to the changing faces, attitudes and preferences of today’s and tomorrows sailors. In 2007 Clear Ahead Marine Productions was passed the torch to keep the fire burning and continue the great traditions that WIRW has and will become. This years dates our July 20-25th. www.whidbeyislandraceweek.com

slatrat

Dec 11, 2007, 7:58 PM

Post #20 of 47 (339323 views)
Shortcut

It's a tossup, both being in Annapolis. The NOOD regatta was my first taste as an owner of a (new to me) J/22. After crewing on J/24's in fresh and saltwater for more than 20 years, I took the plunge, talked a couple of buddies into being crew (both much more qualified than me to drive), bought some better sails, had the luck to get Greg Fisher onboard for an hour practice sail and mixed it up with the best. Actually, it was more like trying to keep up with the back of the pack. Nonetheless, the sailing was exciting and the parties and company wonderful.

More important though, being the one calling the shots for the first time gave me an appreciation of the responsibilities of the (bonehead Angelic) skipper to make good decisions, good manuvers and bring the crew and boat back in one piece.

Annapolis Race Week was a welcome diversion after a long stormy summer keeping the J/22 right side up thru green water squall lines sweeping off high peaks on a mountain lake without consistent crew. After talking a friend of mine into entering his J/24, I gladly escaped the tiller for the foredeck and a mid pack finish with a greater appreciation for what it takes to execute in all positions and the huge advantages when done right. Once again the company of fellow sailors, many of whom I've known for years, was the real highlight of the regatta. EYC, AYC, SSA and CBYRA always do a great job.

Hopefully, when you ask this question next year, I'll be able to talk about my 1st Newport-Bermuda Pirate

torlow

Dec 11, 2007, 8:32 PM

Post #21 of 47 (339303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Williams] What was your favorite event in 2007? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

My favorite event year in and year out is the Red Fox Regatta on Lake Charlevoix in northern Michigan. For the past 37 years this Charlevoix Yacht Club regatta has been held on Labor Day weekend. Friday night is a warm-up race - Nucore Triangle. On Saturday,following an hour of live music on a local tugboat, the nearly one hundred boat fleet starts down the length of Lake Charlevoix headed for Boyne City, 15 miles away(22 miles around the buoys). After an awesome Mt. Gay Rum party with live music, "rain gutter" regatta, BBQ chicken dinner the daily results are announced. On Sunday the second part of the regatta takes us back to Charlevoix for another party and awards presentations. This year we made a fast passage with 30+ winds.

jdv

Dec 11, 2007, 8:32 PM

Post #22 of 47 (339302 views)
Shortcut

For a one day event, the Delta Ditch Run here in Northern California has to rank at the top for many of us. 67.5 miles downwind from the Richmond Yacht Club in San Francisco Bay, up through San Pablo Bay, Carquinez Straits, Suisun Bay, and all the way up the San Joaquin River to the Stockton Sailing Club. From 55 degree air temp to plus 100, fresh water (eventually) and hopefully big breeze for the entire ride -- it is always a highlight for the Moore 24 fleet, 30 - 40 Moores sailing neck and neck for hours on end. The event is certainly not as sexy or international as some of the others listed, but it sure is a pretty good bang for your buck.

Happy Holidays,
jdv

kyrnos

Dec 11, 2007, 9:46 PM

Post #23 of 47 (339285 views)
Shortcut

By far and away, the best event I attended was the Voile de St. Tropez Oct. 1-7. We borrowed my french husband's family boat Sagittarius, a 1973 custom S&S 40, recruited a crew of Seattle sailing friends and enjoyed the spectacle of fine yachting in an incredible venue. Where else is a harbor emptied of it's regular tenants and in it's place are moored the whole racing fleet? A stroll of the wharf in the morning or in the afternoon was an exercise in controlling the amount of drool. Our first race out, we had to remind ourselves and each other that we should be concentrating on racing and spending less time with our jaws in awe and fingers on the camera trigger. Everytime you turned your head, a classic yacht would pass in all regalia of canvas, impeccably maintained and sailing full on. Over 300 yachts entered, and just as many more boats on the water as spectators. The classes consisted of both modern and classic yachts including 4 J Boats, the newly refitted Lulworth and the newly launched Eleanora. There were four race courses, one specifically for the 9 Wally boats who could only reach back and forth.
You know it will be a good day of racing when you have finished 2 bottles of rose with lunch before the racing has started. The last day will forever be imprinted in our memories. The race course consisted of two gates on either side of the bay, one for upwind and the other for downwind. The purpose of the gates is to condense the fleet for the spectators. Coming into the downwind gate just before the finish, we were on port pole with 20 knots and looking to jibe at the gate. We look to leward on the horizon a half mile out and there are three J boats and all the modern maxi's coming into the gate on Starboard. Our crew was not phased but Fred and I knew better-we were sitting ducks with no where to go. Weaving our way through an opening between the maxi's, jibing and coming out unscathed is a feat we will remember.
The race committee was well organized and as an example, used text messaging for checking in each day. Sagittarius has a very good reputation in the Med and we didn't disappoint-we won all four races and the class trophy. And we had great bottles of wine, good food, commuted by twos on scooters, stayed in a house on a hill all to ourselves but best of all, shared good times with good friends. Isn't that what racing is suppose to be about? Janet Laffitte

Callahan

Dec 11, 2007, 9:51 PM

Post #24 of 47 (339283 views)
Shortcut

Newport Harbor Yacht Club, Newport to Cabo Race.

bobcolpitts

Dec 11, 2007, 11:53 PM

Post #25 of 47 (339268 views)
Shortcut

Marblehead - Halifax was a great event in 2007. Mostly fast with a typical mix of fog, squalls and the inevitable wind holes.

We lost any chance of a podium finish when we blew out the leach of our genoa on night two, but made a repair and got back in the hunt at dawn. We made up a lot of time because of superb crew effort, and finished well up in the pack in high spirits to a typically warm Nova Scotia welcome.

sugargeorge

Dec 12, 2007, 12:03 AM

Post #26 of 47 (339256 views)
Shortcut

There doesn't seem to be anything quite like the Hot Rum series at San Diego Yacht Club. A pursuit start for 149 diverse boats, from the Santana 25 K.I.S.S. to a flock of J-105s, to the IACC Stars & Stripes, Dennis Conner's new CM60 Stars & Stripes, and Jim Madden's R/P66 Stark Raving Mad III... Every boat has their own start time and whoever finishes first wins. This year the winner was a Wylie Wabbit, second was a J-105, and third was a J-24! I loved each race, even though our best finish was 106th!
--Steve Greatrex
Soverel 33 R. Honey Bear
Coronado, California

wahardesty

Dec 12, 2007, 12:25 AM

Post #27 of 47 (339255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wahardesty] What was your favorite event in 2007? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

My best Event as a spectator, was the Worldmatching tour AT Terengganu Malaysia [the Monsoon Cup] THE BEST VENUE IN THE WORLD..hands down.....Pops Hardesty

jnsweeney

Dec 12, 2007, 4:20 AM

Post #28 of 47 (339228 views)
Shortcut

Best event of 2007 was the International Rolex Regatta, St. Thomas USVI. Tropical sailing at its finest: warm water, cool & consistant breeze, great competition in an unsurpassed venue, fantastic parties and an award ceremony worth attending even if you haven't won a prize. What more could you ask for in a regatta?

leroi

Dec 12, 2007, 4:23 AM

Post #29 of 47 (339225 views)
Shortcut

Screwpile Challenge is the best run regatta and best party. PERIOD.

corysertl

Dec 12, 2007, 4:27 AM

Post #30 of 47 (339224 views)
Shortcut

Rolex International Women's Keelboat Championships- all the volunteers from Houston Yacht Club went all out to make the 2009 IWKC an outstanding event- quality racing and incredible hospitality- many new friends!!

Ocean

Dec 12, 2007, 4:46 AM

Post #31 of 47 (339216 views)
Shortcut

I practiced or raced at least 160 days this year (lost count), but the year started out with a bang with winning the Lauderdale-Key West Race with the Navy J105 DREADNOUGHT.
We got the Sponsor's trophy for overall best performance. We hit 17 knots frequently, jibed at least 11 times, broached about 4 times, and our best hour was the flat water reach into the Key West channel buoy with a near steady 15 knots. Luck was also on our side as the only damage was the plastic Harken roller furler drum top piece was shattered from blasting through the waves, and a chaffed tackline cover. We probably lost about 10 minutes dealing with the cruise ship at the KW channel entrance for the worst timing of converging with that bohemouth. The pilot boat also maneuverd to our bow thnking they were policing our safe crossing. Anyway, it was an epic race in epic conditions, with a great young crew of 19-21 year olds.

George Albaugh

Dec 12, 2007, 5:32 AM

Post #32 of 47 (339201 views)
Shortcut

The Classic Moth Boat Association's National Championship at Elizabeth City, NC was my favorite event this year even though I failed to defend my Vintage division title. I had a very enjoyable weekend of close competition from guys that go hammer and tongs with me at all the Moth regattas preceding the Nats. Even got to see a couple foiler guys give demos of the modern Moths in between races. I'm sticking with Classic and Vintage Moths--I'm too old a goat to go foiling!

sailingchic7177

Dec 12, 2007, 5:55 AM

Post #33 of 47 (339194 views)
Shortcut

I'd have to say the best event I sailed in this year would have to be the 2007 Olympic Trials. I sailed radials, and the atmosphere on Third Beach was something never before encountered at a regatta. In addition to the fantastic effort of Sail Newport and the race committee, the attitude of the sailors was truly something special. This was it, and people gave everything they had to this 10-day grindfest, and it was amazing to participate in.

stevebrusk

Dec 12, 2007, 6:47 AM

Post #34 of 47 (339175 views)
Shortcut

Louies' Last Regatta for Children's Hospital-milwaukee, wi

melges419

Dec 12, 2007, 6:50 AM

Post #35 of 47 (339174 views)
Shortcut
What was your favorite event in 2007? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Kings Day Regatta in Jacksonville at Florida Yacht Club sailed in M24s and J24s. Arond 70 boats. Great racing and ridiculously good food and bev. Top talent including lots of Olympians, Cup sailors, etc. And lots of plane jane sailors. Great mix. Then a quick trip to the Dog Track to see how all these sailors handicap the animals. That is a show in itself. The swetty Betty Crew had about 5 different methods. Cool

Ryan Hamm, Charleston
Sail Often and have fun

Eric White

Dec 12, 2007, 8:16 AM

Post #36 of 47 (339149 views)
Shortcut

I have two events that are difficult to choose between. The first is the Good Old Boat Regatta held in Annapolis each year. It truly is "a celebration of the old solid boats and the laid-back, fun-loving people who run them." It is a great mix of old one-design fleets and "run what you brung" handicap racing. This was the 8th year for the event. I missed the first one - I don't ever want to miss another one. But since this was already nominated by Alfred Poor, I'm going to nominate my other favorite, the Dickerson Association Rendezvous, an event that has been held for over 40 years. Dickerson Boatbuilders was a small company on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay that started building wooden hard-chined ketches and eventually transitioned to fiberglass boats. The models ranged from under 30 ft. to 50 ft. Most are ketches and most have center cockpits, but there are sloops and cutters and some aft cockpit versions. The big event is the regatta, where 10-15 of these beautiful old boats race around government marks on the Choptank River. The winner gets more than a trophy and bragging rights - he or she becomes commodore for the following year.
Eric White
1980 Dickerson 41 Compass Rose

Youth@SFYC.org

Dec 12, 2007, 8:53 AM

Post #37 of 47 (339139 views)
Shortcut

The Pineapple Cup from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Montego Bay, Jamaica! With a spinnaker off the starting line, a dry day to sleep and warm up near Eleuthera, and then a shy planing reach around the tip of Cuba...we deathrolled in the middle of the Caribbean one morning and I lost my camera overboard, but the mast stayed up and we hit 19.7 just near the finish. Then some nice people met us with Red Stripe, hot breakfast (no shoes required) and soft reggae at 3am.
Attachments: Cone in MoBay.jpg (68.9 KB)

SailTrim

Dec 12, 2007, 10:33 AM

Post #38 of 47 (339123 views)
Shortcut

For 2007 - for me -it was the Mudnight Madness Event from Mystic River to and around Block Island and back. My report from the event on a Mumm30 Kiazen.

sailstud

Dec 12, 2007, 12:34 PM

Post #39 of 47 (339100 views)
Shortcut

How about the Verve in Chicago... rivals the NOOD event (and that's a good thing, the NOODs are awesome too!) without as much sponsership. ...and that's just at the big boat level. The dinghy and youth portions are really cool, but back to the big boats; they aren't afraid to run a crazy (but fun!!) semi-distance race around some cans.

J29maniac

Dec 12, 2007, 3:25 PM

Post #40 of 47 (338982 views)
Shortcut

The Great River Drop regatta at Sale Creek on Lake Chickamauga (Tennessee). Not a lot of boats, not much breeze, but it was nice to be on the water all weekend, and I have not had much of a chance to sail much this year.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules