Who are the spokespeople for sailing?
Team McLube

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Publisher

Apr 25, 2007, 10:09 AM

Post #1 of 52 (143173 views)
Shortcut
Who are the spokespeople for sailing? Log-In to Post/Reply

It is frequently stated that Gary Jobson is the leading spokesperson for the sport, at least in the U.S.

However, there are many more that are not as well known. Some have a national presence, while others are known well in their region or local area.

In your mind, who are the folks that draw a crowd, whose opinion matters, whose advice we should be seeking?

Note: This thread has been moved here from the Guest Forum.

Deleted
pgrant@xtra.co.nz

Apr 25, 2007, 7:23 PM

Post #2 of 52 (143136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Who are the spokespeople for sailing? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Peter Montgomery NZ

Martin Tasker NZ

Deleted

Apr 25, 2007, 8:04 PM

Post #3 of 52 (143123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Who are the spokespeople for sailing? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Buddy Melges

stonehorse46

Apr 25, 2007, 8:30 PM

Post #4 of 52 (143118 views)
Shortcut

Without question, Jud Smith.

Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUaCgaXMG70 and see him sail away from the fleet on the last day of racing at the 2006 Etchells North American Championship.

Attachments: 09-23-06 Jud Smith at Round Hill.jpg (175 KB)

Deleted

Apr 25, 2007, 8:54 PM

Post #5 of 52 (143112 views)
Shortcut

I'd favor Olin Stephens in that role, and Peter Isler isn't a bad second.

Deleted
kels@easy.com

Apr 26, 2007, 2:45 AM

Post #6 of 52 (143083 views)
Shortcut

Peter Lester, NZ

Deleted

Apr 26, 2007, 4:48 AM

Post #7 of 52 (143061 views)
Shortcut

Buddy Melges

Deleted

Apr 26, 2007, 5:07 AM

Post #8 of 52 (143048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guest] Who are the spokespeople for sailing? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Tucker Thompson - TP2TV and the Versus commentator for the America's Cup

Deleted

Apr 26, 2007, 6:55 AM

Post #9 of 52 (142986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guest] Who are the spokespeople for sailing? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Tom Whidden

Deleted
jspiii@montrose.net

Apr 26, 2007, 10:06 AM

Post #10 of 52 (142951 views)
Shortcut

Buddy Melges

Deleted

Apr 26, 2007, 12:41 PM

Post #11 of 52 (142931 views)
Shortcut

Betsy Alison

Deleted

Apr 26, 2007, 12:59 PM

Post #12 of 52 (142927 views)
Shortcut

Greg Fisher

Deleted

Apr 26, 2007, 1:12 PM

Post #13 of 52 (142924 views)
Shortcut

Peter Montgomery, of course![reply]

Deleted
ktolyc@compuserve.com

Apr 28, 2007, 5:41 PM

Post #14 of 52 (142849 views)
Shortcut

Paul Cayard has to be right up there as a spokesperson and guiding beacon for the sport. Smart, personable, and articulate, he is an outstanding writer to whom being analytical is second nature. Hee's not afraid to tell it like it is, and that includes his own personal feelings. Add to that, he's a doer and not just a sayer. Oh yes, he's also multi-lingual. How many other US "spokespersons" are capable of providing expert TV commenary in Italian, or for that matter, French.

Deleted
mail@guynowell.com

May 1, 2007, 6:38 PM

Post #15 of 52 (142761 views)
Shortcut

To keep 'em all honest - Bob Fisher

Deleted

May 1, 2007, 7:14 PM

Post #16 of 52 (142750 views)
Shortcut

With one exception, the world of sailing women seems to have been completely ignored. How about including people like Isabelle Autissier, Ellen MacArthur, and JJ Isler among others.

Deleted
droobler@yahoo.com

May 1, 2007, 8:13 PM

Post #17 of 52 (142736 views)
Shortcut

Scot Tempesta

Deleted

May 1, 2007, 8:19 PM

Post #18 of 52 (142731 views)
Shortcut

You guys are missing the most obvious - Russell Coutts

A-cat

May 1, 2007, 8:19 PM

Post #19 of 52 (142731 views)
Shortcut

John Rousmaniere has been a excellent spokesperson for the sport throught the written word.

Deleted
sailpeachie@gmail.com

May 1, 2007, 11:16 PM

Post #20 of 52 (142708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A-cat] Who are the spokespeople for sailing? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Me. I sail

Deleted

May 2, 2007, 2:54 AM

Post #21 of 52 (142696 views)
Shortcut

How about the Fish - Bob Fisher, UK?

Deleted
sstjean@hodgdonyachts.com

May 2, 2007, 4:26 AM

Post #22 of 52 (142687 views)
Shortcut

Bruce Schwab.

suider

May 2, 2007, 4:30 AM

Post #23 of 52 (142686 views)
Shortcut

While I really can't disagree with many of the names on this list, I think the Bruce Schwab has done a terrific job representing sailing... Definitely here in the US, but also worldwide.

Friendly as hell, personable, (C'mon guys- this is a long distance solo sailor!! Those two things alone are worth note!!) and he is a hell of a sailor....

If you are talking about representing the sport in a favorable light and working (very hard) to get more people interested, I definitely think Bruce has stepped up to the plate in that regard....

/suider

bartc3

May 2, 2007, 4:58 AM

Post #24 of 52 (142679 views)
Shortcut

Bruce Schwab only American to finish Vende Globe.

Deleted

May 2, 2007, 5:04 AM

Post #25 of 52 (142676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bartc3] Who are the spokespeople for sailing? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I'd agree with the votes for Bruce Schwab. Second American to ever sail non-stop solo around and the first American to finish the Vendee. If anyone can break the French hold on solo long distance racing, it could be Bruce. And he's one of the most humble guys you'll ever meet.

Deleted
ken@Dickerman.com

May 2, 2007, 5:14 AM

Post #26 of 52 (142677 views)
Shortcut

Ted Turner

Deleted
jb@masepoxies.com

May 2, 2007, 5:15 AM

Post #27 of 52 (142673 views)
Shortcut

I have to agree Bruce Schwab would be a great one.Don't forget he did it with a freee standing mast both times.
In a totally experimental design.With no Money

Deleted
coggan@sbcglobal.net

May 2, 2007, 7:07 AM

Post #28 of 52 (142642 views)
Shortcut

Dave Perry; for the past 29 years, Dave has been the most positive spokesman, in terms of his seminars, his many publications, and through his accessability. Dave is my nomination for the all round Best Guy of Sailing

Deleted
maltcat@aol.com

May 2, 2007, 7:29 AM

Post #29 of 52 (142637 views)
Shortcut

Bob Fisher in Europe and Gary Jobson in America; but am I showing my age? It will be a younger sailor for the younger generation!
That said, I feel strongly Bruce Farr should be given strong consideration. Even when he was in his early 20's, and attended IOR Technical Committee meetings as a guest, his advice and expertise was courted by the most respected in the business. In the last 30 years, no sailor has contributed more to our sport.
Just because Mr. Farr has done a superb job of staying out of the public eye, we should not ignore his impact!

Deleted

May 2, 2007, 7:39 AM

Post #30 of 52 (142633 views)
Shortcut

Bruce Schwab, USA

A sailor who 'walks it like he talks it' and doesn't need a 7-digit check to promote sailing as it ought to be!

Deleted
mendsleyarch@hotmail.com

May 2, 2007, 8:06 AM

Post #31 of 52 (142629 views)
Shortcut

dave dellenbaugh

Deleted
boomeins@aol.com

May 2, 2007, 8:27 AM

Post #32 of 52 (142618 views)
Shortcut

I would suggest Olaf Harken needs to be part of this group.

Deleted

May 2, 2007, 9:36 AM

Post #33 of 52 (142599 views)
Shortcut

Bruce Schwab has worked hard to promote sailing in the US

Andy Kulik

May 2, 2007, 9:45 AM

Post #34 of 52 (142594 views)
Shortcut

Being Canadian, I have to go with Paul Henderson & Hans Fogh

Deleted

May 2, 2007, 10:22 AM

Post #35 of 52 (142589 views)
Shortcut

Bruce Schwab packed the Corinthian Yacht Club when he spoke in July of 2003 and April of 2005. He's articulate and knowledgeable in a number of subjects, technique, rigging, systems and design. His completion of the Vendee Globe is a model of a true grass roots effort, utilizing the support of American small business and individual donations. Combined with his ability to not take himself too seriously, Bruce would make an ideal spokesperson for the sport.

Phineas Sprague

May 2, 2007, 11:37 AM

Post #36 of 52 (142578 views)
Shortcut

I watched Bruce Schwab put together his Vendee Globe success. As one of the two Americans to have sailed around the world non stop with out assistance and a professional rigger, experimenter and very personable he should be on the list. First because he connects easily with large audiences and secondly because he has a very precise, on the edge, technical point of view that is a joy to tap into for sailors who have experience. For instance, it is one thing to theorize about sailing around the world in the Vendee Globe with an un-stayed mast.. Bruce put the rig together and put his person on the line circumnavigating twice with the concept.

Deleted
alisand@hotmail.fr

May 2, 2007, 1:18 PM

Post #37 of 52 (142564 views)
Shortcut

I think Bruce Schwab is a very well-skilled skipper. He did twice circumnavigation and many others races.
Besides, he has a big knowledge about environmental conservation.
Many people think he is a nice guy, still in good spirits...
Last Vendee Globe, he was welcomed as I never seen before.
Wink

In Reply To

Clark Chapin

May 2, 2007, 3:36 PM

Post #38 of 52 (142555 views)
Shortcut

Two names: Tom Ehman and Greg Fisher

dbs01

May 2, 2007, 3:58 PM

Post #39 of 52 (142550 views)
Shortcut

Since this might be about the end of the helming line for Ed Baird (sorry, Ed!) I would say Ed - the best combination of experience and the ability to relate that experience in a fascinating manner.

It's the bar set by Gary Jobson...

Deleted
guiness2@hotmail.com

May 2, 2007, 4:04 PM

Post #40 of 52 (142549 views)
Shortcut

A list of Spokespeople (Plural; room for more)for "Sport of Sailing" would not be complete without Ocean Planet's skipper Bruce Schwab, who integrated broad spectrum education for children into his quest to conquer the Vendee Globe. He created the Boat, and the entire program.

Web: www.bruceschwab.com

Education: www.oceanplanet.org

A Spokesperson conversation between Bruce and Dodge Morgan who became the first American to sail around the world alone without stopping and remained the first American to do so for nearly 20 years--until Bruce Schwab came along can be found at:

http://www.mpbn.net/search/default.asp

Enter Bruce's name and the story will pop up.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules