Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Have we lost a generation of sailors?
Team McLube

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

purdue512

Apr 17, 2007, 5:49 PM

Post #41 of 43 (28302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Have we lost a generation of sailors? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I saw Rochester, NY mentioned in this thread. Is anyone aware of any windsurfing or kiteboarding clubs that ride on Lake Ontario in Rochester?

We're moving from Washington, DC where we spend every weekend on the water in Annapolis. Need to see where people hangout up there.

Thanks much for your help...

Phineas Sprague

May 2, 2007, 9:01 PM

Post #42 of 43 (28239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Have we lost a generation of sailors? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I am from coastal Maine, a state where you can’t get there reasonably from anywhere with out a boat. It is a 20 mile drive in a car up a finger of land and 20 miles back down to a place that was a mile away from the starting point. We will always have “get there” boats. It is my observation that we have lost a couple of generations of SEAMEN. My conclusion is that the carnage in WWI and WWII of our merchant marine encouraged families to send their young people away from the water to “safe” jobs in the mills. It is bizarre that relatively few youngsters in the coastal communities actually get out on the water. Those that do have some relative or opportunity that is opened to them…. But altogether too few experience the joy. They stand by the waters edge and don’t know how to access it because in a generation they have lost the mentors. It is in their blood, they throw stones in it, look at it like a TV set …. And resent the “Rich People from away” who are on the moorings. I have been in many other countries where there was a boat in almost every driveway.. hot fancy but a boat and if they didn’t like the “rich people from away” they glowered from their boats. Get kids from their parents and into boats at no later than 8 and they will be hooked for life, Our antidote program works http://sailmaine.org/ Whine or do somethig about it.Cool!

Skull & Bones

May 4, 2007, 11:44 AM

Post #43 of 43 (28200 views)
Shortcut

"My son is a young professional with a family and a huge mortgage. Recently we went to the Newport RI Boat show. Only two major manufacturers make smaller boats for young marrieds that are even remotely within the price range of such a financially strapped family (Catalina, Hunter).The manufacturer of my boat (Beneteau) used to make many small models but now only makes ever larger boats that are used less and less."

This is the problem. The industry is so focused on building bigger boats that the common guy is priced out of the game at the most critical time......still young. build some more designs like the Melges 24, ect, price them so you can get into the sport, and you would see more interest. If not, it's turning toward fishing and golfing.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules