Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Increased participation...who cares?!?!
Team McLube

sailstoo

Oct 31, 2005, 8:21 PM

Post #1 of 13 (26665 views)
Shortcut
Increased participation...who cares?!?! Log-In to Post/Reply

MadIn 'Butt 1957 Malcolm McKeag said "Why is it necessary to increase participation in sailing"? I could not agree more. Other than those in it commercially, how are most of us week-end club racers positively affected by denser sailing waters, fewer slips, and busier anchorages? Anyway, $4.00 Marina fuel will drive 'em to us naturally.

Tonk

Oct 31, 2005, 10:40 PM

Post #2 of 13 (26644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sailstoo] Increased participation...who cares?!?! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Unsure The real question is how can a club rebuild a diminishing PHRF racing fleet. Not only bring in more sailors but most important bring in more boats. There are a very large number of boats in our harbor(s) that see very little sailing time, if any. Ninety eight percent are cruisers that don't sail their boats and if they do go out they motor. I try to impress upon those that I know that racing hones ones sailing skills, you develop into a better sailor. Some of the comments are, " It's to much work." We are not the only club that is facing this problem.
Are there any suggestions??

Razorback

Nov 1, 2005, 7:07 AM

Post #3 of 13 (26593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tonk] Increased participation...who cares?!?! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
Unsure The real question is how can a club rebuild a diminishing PHRF racing fleet. Not only bring in more sailors but most important bring in more boats. There are a very large number of boats in our harbor(s) that see very little sailing time, if any. Ninety eight percent are cruisers that don't sail their boats and if they do go out they motor. I try to impress upon those that I know that racing hones ones sailing skills, you develop into a better sailor. Some of the comments are, " It's to much work." We are not the only club that is facing this problem.
Are there any suggestions??

You must be in my club. For those of us who grew up loving to sail but without a lot of money, it is painful to watch nice boats die from neglect tied up to the dock. I'd like to see some form of loan/rent program so that many of the enthusiastic young people who would like to race, but lack the resources can take out boats that are just sitting anyway. Obviously there are a lot of logistical hurdles with this. Does anybody know of anyplace that such a program has been implemented?

sails4fun

Nov 1, 2005, 9:04 AM

Post #4 of 13 (26558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sailstoo] Increased participation...who cares?!?! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Every sailor should care! Who got you into sailing? Why not share your sport with others that might also enjoy outdoor events that are low impact on the enviroment, fun and relaxing?

There has been a great concern that the sport of sailing has declined at many levels of our sport.
The impact this has to sailors is higher costs of equipment (low volume increases costs), higher cost of boats (again small production increases costs) and fewer choices of what is available on the market.

The expansion of sailing is impacted by marina slip availability.
Without fun to sail, easy to rig, small boats that are trailer launched, the sport is relegated to a more sophisticated participant.
Hobie Alter figured it out with the Hobie 14 and 16 many years ago.

Investment in the future of sailing will benefit the entire sailing population.

We stand at less than 15% of the boating population, so figure that the water will not be clogged anytime soon with sailors!

hitide

Nov 1, 2005, 7:43 PM

Post #5 of 13 (26470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sails4fun] Increased participation...who cares?!?! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I think the Marina shortage impacts new sailors more than anything. Long waiting lists, increasing fees, therfore increasing overall expense is what keeps me as crew and a small boat sailor.

axolotl

Nov 2, 2005, 9:31 PM

Post #6 of 13 (26387 views)
Shortcut

I personally would like to show up for a race and discover there's only two or three boats on the line less often.

Phil McCavity

Nov 3, 2005, 1:16 AM

Post #7 of 13 (26355 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
MadIn 'Butt 1957 Malcolm McKeag said "Why is it necessary to increase participation in sailing"? I could not agree more. Other than those in it commercially, how are most of us week-end club racers positively affected by denser sailing waters, fewer slips, and busier anchorages? Anyway, $4.00 Marina fuel will drive 'em to us naturally.

The arrogance in this post is truly staggering. Your elitist and insular views neatly fit the stereotype the rest of the world has of inhabitants of the US. Fortunately, I know enough US citizens to know they are not all like you.

$4.00 fuel? that is nothing! try parts of Europe with equivalent of over $7.00.
"The Cornish Shrimper"

Sol Rosenberg

Nov 3, 2005, 8:46 AM

Post #8 of 13 (26262 views)
Shortcut

So it is not important that we get more people into the sport, only that we get the right people in the sport, eh? Bravo. I'd love to explore this thought in depth, but the butler is ironing my boxers and I must go explain the interaction between starch and a chapped behind.

Noncompusmentis
Deleted

Nov 3, 2005, 8:53 AM

Post #9 of 13 (26247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sol Rosenberg] Increased participation...who cares?!?! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

could you tell him to fetch me another Gin Rickie please...

sailstoo

Nov 3, 2005, 1:08 PM

Post #10 of 13 (26202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Phil McCavity] Increased participation...who cares?!?! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The nature of your response indicates that you are not a particularly astute reader not to mention judgmental. I said nothing about myself other than I was a weekend club racer who doesn't care if others join the sport. I said nothing about others particular flavor or net worth. While I really couldn't care less about your opinion, I do suggest you read, as opposed to read into, other's jottings. And bite me.

sailstoo

Nov 3, 2005, 1:12 PM

Post #11 of 13 (26199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sol Rosenberg] Increased participation...who cares?!?! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Rosenberg,

See 11/3 1:08 response. Ibid.

Sailstoo

msherman

Nov 10, 2005, 6:06 AM

Post #12 of 13 (26102 views)
Shortcut

Interesting observation by a letter writter in today's 'butt, responding to yesterday's letter from the head of USSA...seems the head of USSA didn't really have an "reason" in any of his "answers"....too bad, would love to hear the head of USSA have a strong statement on why growth matters to us all.

Glenn

Nov 11, 2005, 11:57 AM

Post #13 of 13 (26062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msherman] Increased participation...who cares?!?! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The obvious answer is that each one of us represents a check mark in the growth column. We added to the numbers, we didn't take away any when we showed up.

Growth is needed for financial reasons. When most clubs got a piece of land on the waterfront a hundred years ago, the value of those pieces of land were relatively inexpensive. Most clubs now sit on top of a gold mine value piece of property. Where a hundred years ago a clapboard shack was good enough to bend an elbow on after sweating it out on the water, community standards have pushed those shacks away into legitimate structures. As time moves on, these clubs now have fancy dining rooms that can only serve their limited number of members, as a result, they do not have the ability to cover the costs of operating a restaurant and need members dues to cover the shortfall. Growth is what is keeping these clubs afloat. But go the next step and ask "why do we need clubs?" The answer falls down to the ability to have access to the water. Take away the clubs, and developers swoop in and install condo's. Access to the water is becoming more difficult as land values along the waterfront continue to increase.

Growth is needed so that there are boat builders in the U.S. Growth is needed so that there is profit potential for new shipyards, repairers, marinas, and all other fields to grow. A withering industry has never been a good investment. How do boaters gather to fight new laws that harm their sport? Look at the reports on LPG terminals sprouting up across the country. The impact to the recreational boater is huge. But if we are a dying sport, our voice is weak and not heard. But if we are a growing sport (read tax dollars, ka-ching) the government bodies listen to us.

I hope those who say we don't need to grow are saying it with tongue in cheek.

Remember, God covered 3/5 of the earths surface with water. He intended that each one of us spend 3/5 of our lifetime on it.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules