Best College Sailing Team
Team McLube

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Publisher

Feb 16, 2007, 5:31 AM

Post #41 of 48 (46994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bruce Nelson] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

* From Scott Young: This topic has triggered some excellent memories for me while sailing for the University of Texas in the late 70's and early 80's. While maybe not the greatest college sailing team of all time, I reflect fondly on my teammates in those days and all that they have gone on to accomplish in the sport. Guys like Kelson Elam, Kelly Gough, Paul Foerrester, Dave Chapin, Mark Hallman, Bill Draheim, Curt Oetking, Doug Kern, Gary Ross, Rob Johnston have collectively won more championships than I can even count.

Perhaps worthy of further note was the friendly and not so friendly competition we enjoyed with our arch SEISA rivals from New Orleans. In those days, only one team could qualify for nationals out of SEISA. Inevitably, we would usually have to travel to Tulane to try and qualify. During my days in Texas, we had some of the most amazingly competitive events against the likes of Nevin Sayre, Glen Darden, Jens Hookensen, Ralph Kinder and many that I have probably forgotten....all truly gifted college sailors. Our SEISA qualifiers were battles to the death.

One year, I remember driving into New Orleans on the main highway on our way from Austin and seeing banners hung on the overpasses telling us how much we were appreciated (not exactly in those words) and how much Tulane was looking forward to kicking our asses. Ahhhh… those were the days! College sailing is absolutely the best!

Mr.Y

Feb 16, 2007, 1:29 PM

Post #42 of 48 (46917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

TURDS (Tulane University Dinghy Sailors) We always came from behind! Cool

The Publisher

Feb 19, 2007, 9:48 AM

Post #43 of 48 (46776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr.Y] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Curmudge:
Would you kindly add this to your postings????

Gary Bodie is correct in urging college sailors to do more in preserving records, anecdotes, and rich memories of their with college sailing experiences.

This thread has been a great move in that direction. Ask yourself--dear reader--if you are doing enough to remember and continue our favorite sport at your alma mater or other campus (or district or national). Mike Horn, indeed, is the Master Guru, and each of you who is onto this thread should be involved (as creative thinkers and workers) in helping your team, AND YOUR ALUMNI Organization "The ICSA Afterguard"

Gail Turluck (Gail@CollegeSailing.org) our national Afterguard Chairperson would be grateful to have response from any or all of you.

P.S. Larry Shep of UC Berkeley won both A and B Divisions as skipper (in 1950 and '52)

Bryan Lake of Hawaii (just last year) tied Bob Monetti's record of three wins as skipper in A Division ( 1947, '48.and '50 for Yale)

Ted Livingston
Captain, San Diego State, 1948
Founding Coach, Hawaii, 1969

SailingBeaver

Feb 22, 2007, 2:02 PM

Post #44 of 48 (46546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bruce Nelson] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Think your team was the best college sailing team of all time? Well, here's your chance to prove it:

The Charles River Open Team Race, June 22-24: http://sailing.mit.edu/Calendar/Events/CROTR07/

This event is a dinghy team race event at the oldest venue of college sailing. There are provisions in the notice of race to include Masters (35+), "Clydesdales" (teams with an average boat weight of 320 lbs/boat), women skippers, and much more. Limited housing is available. Sign up with your current team, yacht club, your college buddies, your wife/husband/kids, your high school team, etc.

For more information, please check out the website. See you in June!

Miami Regattas

Mar 2, 2007, 10:14 PM

Post #45 of 48 (46363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

What would Joe say?
By Lynn Fitzpatrick

I have vivid memories of my first days at the Mystic Lake over a quarter of a century ago. Tufts had a new coach and not nearly enough Larks for everybody who wanted tryout for the team. If you weren’t first or second in a race, you had to give up your boat to one of the crews who was standing on the floating docks. There were so many eager skippers and crews waiting to tryout that the floating docks were submerged.

Competing for a school with a legendary sailing team, one meets and becomes part of the string of legends. I knew that we had a great team during my freshman year, but every upperclassman and alum whom I met would tell story after story of Joe Duplin and his Jumbo sailing teams. When Scuttlebutt started the tread about best college sailing teams, my sense was that one of Joe’s late 1970’s teams was truly the best college team ever. The question remained, what year?

Among other things, the Etchells Midwinters has been a bit of a Jumbo reunion. With Dave Curtis, Michael Loeb, Neal Fowler, Bill Lynn, me and P.J. Keenan aboard various boats, our Tufts sailing team history spans from the mid-1960’s through the early-1990’s. Joe Duplin’s 1977 Tufts Sailing Team gets our endorsement as the best college sailing team ever. Forgive us if we’ve left anybody off this powerhouse of a list: Sam Altreuder, Betsy Gelenitis Alison, Diana Baxter, Ethan Bixby, Henry Brauer, Bruce Burton, Fran Charles, Peter Commette, Kevin Coneys, Arthur Cunningham, Susan Dierdorf Taylor, Bill Drewes, Paul Duane, Chris Fowler, Neal Fowler, Laurie Gabriel, Bob Gleason, Stu Johnstone, Dave Kellogg, Maurice Kurg, Michael Leob, Mark Leopold, Jamie McCreary, Douglas McKeige, Fritz Meuller, Mark Meuller, Jim Miller, Stu Neff, Dave Nickerson, Jean Noyes, Cindy Paladina, Joe Petrucci, Robert Van Melel, Hale Walcoff and Martha Winche. With a team like that, one would have been in good company standing on a dock waiting for a chance to sail. With so many sailors on his roster, it is no wonder why Joe kept it simple and called everyone “Babe”.

SailingBeaver

Mar 6, 2007, 1:32 PM

Post #46 of 48 (46008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Miami Regattas] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Ooops...

This time it has a link:

Think your team was the best college sailing team of all time? Well, here's your chance to prove it:

The Charles River Open Team Race, June 22-24: http://sailing.mit.edu/...ndar/Events/CROTR07/

This event is a dinghy team race event at the oldest venue of college sailing. There are provisions in the notice of race to include Masters (35+), "Clydesdales" (teams with an average boat weight of 320 lbs/boat), women skippers, and much more. Limited housing is available. Sign up with your current team, yacht club, your college buddies, your wife/husband/kids, your high school team, etc.

For more information, please check out the website. See you in June!

psuchunk

Mar 7, 2007, 2:42 PM

Post #47 of 48 (45988 views)
Shortcut

as everyone know's, collegiate (and most other) regattas have two aspects:
1.racing
2.'the party'

while we're not so much good at the first one, there's no question who melts faces in the second category... PENN STATE!!

the way I see it, if we always win 'the party' it doesn't matter who well we do on the water... we at least got a 50% for the total regatta... and that (obviously) is much better than being lame and not winning anyhting.

our racing is in a 'rebuilding year'... or decade... but we're trying to get better at it. and when we do, there will be no question as to who the college regatta scene is dominated by.

WE ARE!...

SailingBeaver

Apr 24, 2007, 8:02 AM

Post #48 of 48 (45743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailingBeaver] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Think your team was the best all time? Prove it:

Happy Spring,

I am writing to remind and announce to sign up for the 11th Charles River Open Team Race. The Notice of Race is online at: http://sailing.mit.edu/...ents/CROTR07/nor.php . We have spots for as many as 48 teams, so please sign up. It is a first come, first served entry, though there are 6 births guaranteed for Youth teams (as specified by NOR rule 2.3).

The cost to compete in this event is $80/boat for a collegiate, high school or youth sailors, $100/boat for anyone else.

There is a discount available (free per boat) if you help out Harvard or BU at any of the remaining events:

The Coast Guard Alumni Bowl for the NE Team Race Champs, 4/28-4/29

This event is open, and we encourage team racers of all ages, sizes and abilities to enter. Limited housing is available through MIT, as posted in NOR 11. We have provisions for Clydesdale division to encourage sailors not of college dinghy size to get back into dinghy team racing. We also have alloted spaces for youth teams, international teams and masters teams (avg. age of 35+). There will be limited racing on Friday as well to enable teams that are going travel great lengths more opportunities to sail.

Pre-registration is available online at: http://sailing.mit.edu/...s/CROTR07/prereg.php
Please note that you sign up PER BOAT, so please check the current entries to make sure you coordinate your team properly.

Note: as of 1103 EDT on 4/24, 11 teams had already pre-registered.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules