Best College Sailing Team
Team McLube

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Publisher

Feb 9, 2007, 10:33 AM

Post #1 of 48 (526114 views)
Shortcut
Best College Sailing Team Log-In to Post/Reply

We could sit around and debate which college sailing team was the best ever. However, that could be hard, requiring extensive research, and take more time than we have.

To keep it simple, Scuttlebutt is looking for your suggestions on who were the better teams of your day. Your day might be today, or it could be a long time ago. Who cares. If your team was great, don't wait for someone else to suggest it. No time to be humble... speak up. Feel free to talk smack, and if it helps, hold a stale, draft beer in your hand while you are typing.

To get the party started, how about... Boston University, where Ken Read and John Shadden helped the Terriers win the Dinghy Nationals in ’82.

Next…

TomKeogh

Feb 9, 2007, 12:59 PM

Post #2 of 48 (526069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

BU had a good team - almost as good as Tufts...

In my first week of practice on the lake, the fleet included Neal Fowler, Dave Kellogg, Ethan Bixby, Bruce Burton, Hale Walcoff, Michael Loeb, Peter Commette, Jamie McCreary, Ted Scott, Paul Duane, Mark Muller, Fritz Muller, Phil Roosevelt, Doug McKeige, Jim Miller, Chris Fowler, Bill Drewes, Stew Neff, Fran Charles, Joe Petrucci, Stuart Johnstone, Dave Nickerson and Emilio Castelli. I apologize to all the others who I've not listed here. Practices were far more challenging than most of the regattas we sailed. We had 20 boats and, if there were 3 teams waiting on the dock, you had to finish in the top 17 to keep your boat for the next race. If there were more waiting, you had to finish higher. I thought I was doing well if I could keep a boat for consecutive races.

Over the next few years, the roster added Michael Zavell, Pede Dickey, Nevin Sayre, Betsy Gelenitis Alison, Andrew Menkart, Jim Gelenitis, Chris Hufstader, Lynn Fitzpatrick, Bill Lynn and tons of others. And as Betsy taught us, it is not enough to win the racing, you have to win the party too. That might explain why the BU sailors spent so much time in Medford...

Anybody up for some 40 on 40 team racing? To handle that, we'd probably need to have our last two coaches on hand - I wonder what kind of playbook Joe Duplin and Ken Legler would come up with for that.

SailingBeaver

Feb 9, 2007, 1:28 PM

Post #3 of 48 (526061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomKeogh] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I think that Tufts in 1994:
On the roster was Josh Adams, Nick Trotman, Mark Mendelblatt, Senet Bishoff, Robbie Richards, Tim Fallon, Graeme Woodworth, Victoria Wadsworth, Jimmy Wadsworth, Carolyn Close, Tanya Haddad, Scott Carson, Carisa Harris, Katie McDowell, Laura Dunn, Jenny Nelson, Martha Carleton, Sarah Terry, Kiri Wilson.

All of these people at one time or another were College All Americans. Trotman, Adams, Mendleblatt won Team Racing Worlds in '98 (with Tufts Brett Davis). Woodworth and Fallon won the '03 worlds (Fallon again in '05). Katie McDowell (who later transferred to Brown) and Mendelblatt each went to the Olympics. Mendelblatt has won Laser II worlds, Trotman 5o5 Worlds. Senet was College Sailor of the Year.

Drausin

Feb 9, 2007, 2:51 PM

Post #4 of 48 (526043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailingBeaver] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

This will probably catch everyone off guard, but how about the Yale class of 1950: Bob Monetti, Bob Coulson, Dick Carter, and Ed Hayes. They won the 47, 49, and 50 Nationals. In 48 they got 2nd but won A division. In the 49 Nationals, Dick Carter won every race except one, where he got second. Surely no other team has had such a fantastic record.

sideflyer3

Feb 12, 2007, 5:54 AM

Post #5 of 48 (525753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Naval Academy Team 1991-1994 10 Deep with sailors that could have started A div at any other school.
Won Dinghy Nat's 3 out of the 4 years. Also won various others, sloops, womens, singlehanded and team racing. Had college Sailor of the year more than once in same period. All under Coach Gary Bodie.

The tufts team 1994 couldn't beat them in Dinghys. Team racing was a showdown, could have gone either way.

sideflyer3

Feb 12, 2007, 5:55 AM

Post #6 of 48 (525750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sideflyer3] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Come to think of it that team was pretty good in 95 as well.

kcfullmer

Feb 12, 2007, 5:59 AM

Post #7 of 48 (525744 views)
Shortcut

Yale teams of the 1975-78 era are worthy of consideration for best ever. Steve Benjamin, Peter Isler, Dave Perry were the headliners, though this team had so much talent in addition to the starters, it's 'bench' could've won national titles.

raustinlafran

Feb 12, 2007, 6:11 AM

Post #8 of 48 (525731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kcfullmer] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

How about Tulane 1973 - 1975 team? Augie Diaz, Toby Darden, Glenn Darden, Kurt Weiss, etc. I apologize for not being able to remember all the crew names, but these folks stayed on top against Yale, Tufts, and everybody else at the time!

-BLF

pete levesque

Feb 12, 2007, 6:15 AM

Post #9 of 48 (525726 views)
Shortcut
Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Tufts '94 might be hard to top, but Harvard '02 might have them. The '02 Harvard team had to compete on a more level playing field than the '94 Tufts team. Sure, the members of the Tufts '94 eventually won more championships during their college career, but for the most part they were competing against Navy. What they did post college is irrelevant.

In the coed spring championships Tufts '94 and Harvard '02 posted the same results: 1st in Team Racing, 2nd in Dinghies. But, the Tufts team had a much better B team to practice against. The Harvard team was basically 3 boats deep. The Harvard '02 team also included 3 eventual College Sailors of the Year. That will be tough to top.

Of course, one might argue that since the mid 90s the AA committee has been prejudiced against the Jumbos and they should have had more sailors of the year. So perhaps my last point about Harvard is also irrelevant.

J Bowman

Feb 12, 2007, 7:39 AM

Post #10 of 48 (525627 views)
Shortcut

I'll leave the discussion of best dinghy team to others.
The best collegiate offshore team was USNA in 1991 and 1992. Lots of silver racing against well financed private yachts! Won the Intercollegiate Invitational Regatta at Larchmont YC in NY! Won the Newport to Bermuda race in the oldest boat to win with the youngest skipper to win in the races history. Simply a great group of sailors on and off the water!

hannahswett

Feb 12, 2007, 8:32 AM

Post #11 of 48 (525579 views)
Shortcut

Brown Womens's Team 1988-19991 Melissa Purdy, Kris Farrar Stookey, Blair Largay Farrar, Hannah Swett, Bonnie Shope, Viginia Verney Lucarelli, Sue and Amy Lawser, Nicole Ullrich, Ellie, Field oh and a few boys, Kevin Hall, Mike Zani, Brad Gibbs, Brian Doyle

SailingBeaver

Feb 12, 2007, 8:34 AM

Post #12 of 48 (525575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailingBeaver] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

To follow up on that Tufts team of 1994. Members won the '93, '94, and '96 Women's Champs. Won the '97 and were runners up at the '94 Coed Dinghy Champs. '93, '94, '95 and '96 TRing Champs. '94 (Mendelblatt) and '96 (Bischoff) Singlehanded Champs. The '96 Women Singlehanded Champ (McDowell).

Dennis Bartley

Feb 12, 2007, 9:04 AM

Post #13 of 48 (525545 views)
Shortcut
Re: Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Old Dominion team of 2002? 4 of the sailors are on the US Olympic team (Sally Barkow, Debbie, Cappozzi, Anna Tunnacliffe, Brad Funk). Winner of 2002 womens nationals. participated in coed and team racing nationals.

braddellenbaugh

Feb 12, 2007, 9:07 AM

Post #14 of 48 (525542 views)
Shortcut

Here are some thoughts on the top teams:

Kings Point 1982-1987 particularly 1983 when they won co-eds (by 121 pts...is that right??) and TR.
Talent included Morgan Reeser, Allen Lindsey, Jay Renehan, Peter Lindsey, Tom Lihan, Gary Stewart, Allen Kruger, Peter Renehan, Vince Kirby

USNA 1991-1995 - dominant team in the early 90's with Brad Rodi, Susie Minton, Keith Davids, Ryan Cox, Dave Fagen, Willie Graves, Mike O'Bryan, Eric Naranjo and RD Burley amongst others. Co-ed record 1-2-1-1-1 in those five years; throw in the '91 and '92 TR, '91 Womens, '92 Singles.

Old Dominion 1988-1991 finished 2-1-3-2 in co-eds, won '90 TR, '89 and '90 sloops, '89 Singles with Terry Hutchinson, Jim Weber, Mike Martin, Charlie Ogletree, Marty Kullman, Todd Hudgins, Mike Devlin, Mitch Brindley, etc.

UC Irvine 1988-1990 finished 1-3-1 in co-eds, won '88 TR with Jamie Malm, Jon Pinckney, Nick Scandone, Mike Sturman and Nick Adamson all on the team

Tufts has had a number of good teams including the 1994 team mentioned, but 1980-1981 was also pretty talented winning the '80 and '81 co-eds, '80 Singles with Stu Johnstone, Joe Petrucci, Pede Dickey, Nevin Sayre, Mike Zavell, Betsy (Gelenitis) Alison amongst many others.

BU in 1982 was excellent as was the 1985 version with Brad Read, Pete Melvin and Ben Cesare.

St. Mary's in 1999-2000 finished 2-1 in co-eds and won '99 and '00 TR with Gaffney, Kouton, Ty Reed, Mark Ivey and co.

Tulane was excellent in those years winning the '73 co-eds and '74 singles. Don't forget Doug Bull in that list. Robin Keefe Lynch was one of the 'missing' crew...

Agree with Yale 1975-1977 and Harvard 2002-2005 comments...excellent teams and depth!

Don't have the first hand knowledge, but it sure seems like the SD State 1968-1969 team with Ed Butler and ToMac, and the 1970-1971 USC team with Tim Hogan and Argyle Campbell were pretty good in their day!!

I'm glad Hannah mentioned the late '80's-early '90's Brown women's plus a few boys team that won the Fowle in 1991. They were really deep and could have fielded three teams that would have finished in the top four at several Women's Nationals in that era.

CampbellSailing

Feb 12, 2007, 9:10 AM

Post #15 of 48 (525539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Publisher] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

As the Curmudgeon stated, it seems there could be a ton of research done on the subject before any real conclusions could be at hand. Simply going on which teams won the Dinghy or TeamRace Championships shouldn't be the critical factor in deciding the Best Team Ever. The implication is that only 6 sailors could therefore make up the best team ever. I'm not sure that's entirely true. The best team ever should certainly include the best Co-ed performers at Nationals, but at regattas like ACC's, North/South, Navy Fall, the Trux, and the BDC, likewise the best teamracers throughout the spring of their particular years, not to mention the best Women's performances as Hannah as pointed out. While we're at it, there are other events to be considered, Men's and Women's Singlehanded champions should undoubtedly be accounted for in that Best Team Ever, and likewise, the best Sloop's team in the country. On top of all that, whether or not the team had a College Sailor of the Year, how many Co-ed All-Americans, Women's All Americans, and Crew All Americans should be viewed before a decision can be made. The best test to see where the deepest teams and most successful throughout the year's performances as well as the Spring Championships, is most like the number of Fowle Trophy points particular teams amassed over their particular years. Georgetown 06 earned somewhere more than 70 Fowle Trophy points last year. But without any points from Women's Singlehandeds, I'm afraid that we may be overcome by past teams with competitors in all the Championships over their respective years. Nonetheless, I'll be glad to make the case that having a Singlehanded's Championship, Sloops Runner up, Team Race Championship, Co-ed Runner up (A Div Champion), and Women's Runner up, the Georgetown team of 06 is in the running and throws it's hat in the ring for all time. I'd be curious to see the number of Fowle trophy points per team since they were counted in 1972. I think that would be the best place to start. Listing names of particular sailors does not do justice to the depth of the teams that perform well at all levels, national championships and big intersectionals to small regional events.

SailingBeaver

Feb 12, 2007, 9:28 AM

Post #16 of 48 (525530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CampbellSailing] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Agree on the Fowle Trophy as a good measuring stick: Again, that supports the '94 Tufts team, who won the Fowle in '93, '94, '95 and '96.

smitynewpt

Feb 12, 2007, 11:14 AM

Post #17 of 48 (525467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [braddellenbaugh] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Nina Nielsen at Princeton had a pretty good team too, not only single handed but in doubles too, also I believe she was 'The FIRST women president of the usually all-male ICYRA-NA 1975-1976 position.

kelam

Feb 12, 2007, 11:36 AM

Post #18 of 48 (525457 views)
Shortcut

University of Texas - 78 to 84. Kelson Elam, Kelly Gough, Scott Young, Dave Chapin, Mark Hallman, Rob Johnston, Bill Draheim, Paul Foerster. Lots of All Americans, multiple collegiate championships and more championships and medals than you can count since then. All still competing and winning.

University of Texas - 06. Best Calendar!

mjf

Feb 12, 2007, 11:53 AM

Post #19 of 48 (525446 views)
Shortcut

It has to be our BU team in 1985. We won the Fowle Trophy, Co-ed Dingys, Second at Womens nationals and I think second at the Team Race Nationals. Brad and Pete both won A and B at the Co-Ed Dingys!

Terry H

Feb 12, 2007, 7:37 PM

Post #20 of 48 (525293 views)
Shortcut

What a great thread as I am sure all the successful teams of the past and present think that there respective team is without question the best. I know when I was at Old Dominion,, 1986-1990 that we thought this so why should things have changed. In our day we did battle with some great teams.....Navy, UC Irvine more on the national level, College of Charleston, Tufts, Brown, and Harvard but most memorable are the Maisa regattas with Navy. As Brad pointed out Old Dominion won the Fowle Trophy in 1989 and 1990 but to me our team practices were harder then any event. Joe Logan, Marty Kullman, Todd Hudgins, Jim Weber, Kim Logan, Donna Kuhl, Mike Martin, and Charlie Olgetree were great teammates to race. In 1990 I believe that ODU had four all-americans, 4 all-american crew and 2 all-american women as I said earlier it made for a great practice. I do not know if you ever can answer the question but all you have to do is look at the results of any major regatta to show that college sailing was a great way to develop sailors.

Terry Hutchinson
ODU 1990

klegler

Feb 13, 2007, 8:32 AM

Post #21 of 48 (525230 views)
Shortcut

Great thread Craig, Tufts coach Ken here. I especially enjoy learning of teams before my time. How about Dartmouth in the 40's with bus Mosbacher and Warner Wilcox. According to Roger Wilcox, Harvard, "Bus and my brother Warner had a great team but nobody could beat Princeton's Runny Colie." How about Navy late 50's with Butch Ulmer. MIT in the 60's with Terry Cronberg. Coast Guard in the 60's. Imagine if Texas and Tulane of the 70's had a coach with all that talent.

Parity marked the 70's since coaches didn't recruit the talent out of the Midwest yet. First it was the service acads with Navy, KP and NY Maritime. Notre Dame had Buzz Reynolds, Miami Ohio had Greg and Matt Fisher, U Wash had Brian Thomas and frosh phenom Carl Buchan. Four NEISA teams won four nationals, all close. Harvard with Terry Neff over Tufts in '74. Yale with Benj, Perry, and Isler survived to beat Tufts and San Diego in '76. Webb Institute led most of the way in '76 but Tufts with more sailors than Webb had students overcame. URI managed an improbable tie breaker over Tufts in '77, then won the first team racing also in a tie breaker over Navy. UCLA broke the NEISA run in 1978 with Mark Rastello. Kings Point battled Navy all year in '78-'79 and won in the end with Alex Smigelski. Princeton won four straight women's with Nina Nielsen and Ann Preston, '74-'77.

Navy dominated many championships in the 80s but the Dinghy champs remained elusive since '57. Tufts crushed in '81, BU took the dinghies in '82 with Ken Read and super frosh John Shadden. They won again in '85 with Brad Read and speedster Pete Melvin. Morgan Reeser led Kings Point to two titles in '83 & '84. Charleston won in '86 and KP won at home in '87. Jon Pinckney led Irvine to sweep Dinghy and Team racing in '88. Terry Hutchinson's ODU team was awesome in '89 and '90.

Navy broke their Dinghy draught in the 90s with a vengence, winning in '91 & '93-'95. Tufts had the best decade with four straight team racing, five women's, five Fowles and dinghies in '97 by a new record margin. Meanwhile new powerhouses BC, Hobart and Georgetown were just emerging with coaches that recruited and found resources. KP, ODU, and BU also took titles in the late 90s.

St. Mary's started 2000 in style with the dinghy & TR titles but Harvard has been the team of the new decade, at least for the first half. The '02 team with three C-S-o-t-Ys Sean Doyle, Clay Bischoff and Cardwell Potts won TR with a 17-0 record after running away with other events. In '03 they won dinghies by a new record 69 points!

My biased top team vote goes to Tufts '93-'94. They didn't hang on to win dinghies, Navy overcame, otherwise it's not close. Tufts won 4 nationals, 5 NE's, 2 AC's, 11 intersectionals, 13 mini majors and 40 minors that year. Trotman and Mendelblatt took both 470s and Snipes at the Goodwill in Japan by wide margins and A skipper Josh Adams won the Bob Hobbs award for sportsmanship. With the Women's help they won the Fowle by a wide margin over Charleston and Navy.

Gotta do rankings now, no idea who will start '07 as #1. So many good teams in NE and elswhere.

CWPSailor

Feb 13, 2007, 4:10 PM

Post #22 of 48 (525151 views)
Shortcut

I think it was in 1971 that the URI duo of Henry Bossett and Skip Whyte was virtually unbeatable. These guys were awesome! My recollection is that they kicked ass against all the big names of the day: Gary Jobson, Bill Campbell, Robbie Doyle, Pat Seaver, David Noyes among others. While post college achievements don't count in this thread, both Henry and Skip have gone on to contribute in big ways to the sport.

markivey

Feb 13, 2007, 6:53 PM

Post #23 of 48 (525049 views)
Shortcut

This team is loaded with talent. They have gone on to do wonders in our sport.
I got this insight from Dave Perry about his fellow team:

Some members of the Yale Sailing Team from 1975 - 1978:

Steve Benjamin '78 - College Sailor of the Year '78
Peter Isler '78 - College Sailor of the Year '76
Dave Perry '77
Peter Bowe '78
Paul Clifford '78
Susan Daly '78
Stan Honey '78
Ginny Hopkins '76
Nell Taylor '78

We were the 1975 Dinghy National Champs (last Yale team to win the Dinghy Nationals)

other top finishers at the 1975 Nationals:
second: Mark Reynolds & Hugo Schmidt - San Diego State
third: Peter Commette, Sam Altreuter & Neal Fowler - Tufts

Carl Buchan, Brian Thomas & Mark Laura - U of Washington
Augie Diaz & Doug Bull - Tulane

The Yale Team results at the Dinghy Nationals in that period were:
1975 - 1
1976 - 3
1978 - 2

Mark Powell

Feb 13, 2007, 7:02 PM

Post #24 of 48 (525032 views)
Shortcut

The Florida State University Teams of 1973-1978 were pretty special... I remember driving from Tallahassee straight thru the night with 5 of us (Peter Fontaine (windmill national champ and secret Laser weapon), Sue Stone, and Robin in Ted (Hans) Gillette's international Scout (complete with extra gas tank and oogahh horn) to Notre Dame winning their intersectional in the fall of 1974 and then driving straight thru a few weeks later to Kings Point to do battle against the big dogs at the Nevins trophy (4th), getting ranked in the top ten of Yachting Magazine's national rankings... pretty exciting for a bunch of kids who practiced on a few beat-up flying juniors in a tiny north Florida Lake! A year or two later, Allison Jolly came on the scene and tore it up at the Timme Angston regatta in Chicago! Unfortunately SEISA back then had only one spot for the Nationals and we had to battle those talented Texas and Tulane teams to get any further... alas. At FSU, teaching the sport was equally important with racing and our sailing classes always drew big crowds and brought in some needed support to help keep our fleet going! What great memories!

Jaime Malm

Feb 13, 2007, 9:21 PM

Post #25 of 48 (524940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [braddellenbaugh] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

UC Irvine 1998-1990 don't forget Randy Lake!

Jaime Malm

Feb 13, 2007, 9:41 PM

Post #26 of 48 (524938 views)
Shortcut

UC Irvine 1988-1990 Almost forgot Geoff Becker and the many races to the dock!

wgraves

Feb 14, 2007, 2:05 AM

Post #27 of 48 (524905 views)
Shortcut

Greatest College Sailing Team: NAVY – 1990 through about 1997. 4 (or was it 5?) National Dinghy Championshps, virtually in a row. Countless All-Americans, Three College Sailors of the Year. An absolute tribute to the power of good coaching: Gary Bodie and Doug Clark developed a cadre of amazing sailors, using more of a “system” rather than simply recruiting the best youth sailors. Some years, they had as many as five All-Americans with a few honorable mentions thrown in. Practice at Navy was harder than a major intersectional! Even more, Navy’s teams of the early 1990s pioneered and codified Bodie’s Team Racing Strategy, which is used as the backbone of modern team racing strategy today. “Play 1, Play 2 and Play 4” were all verbally called by Navy teams in the early 1990s, baffling their competition and bringing a new discipline and perspective to team racing. The 1991 and 1992 Navy Teams dominated Team Racing, winning virtually every regatta and ushering in a new level of development for the sport.

Perhaps their most dominant year – 1991 – was the watershed year that set up a true “standard of excellence.” After that, Navy went on to dominate the 1990s like the Lakers of the 80s and Bulls of the 90s. In 1991, Navy *SWEPT* convincingly all the major championships in New Orleans. Brad Rodi (2x College Sailor of the Year), Willie Graves, Susie Minton were all dominant All-Americans and were simply a great deal faster than some very strong teams like Brown’s Mike Zani/Kevin Hall and Charleston’s Andy Lovell. Susie Minton – a rare female coed All-American (especially at Navy with a 10% female population!) even won coed B-Division by 20 some points after crushing great women’s teams (like Brown’s with Hannah, Kris, Melissa) in the women’s regatta! Dave Fagan, Ryan Cox, Mike O'Bryan, RD Burley, Will Stout and many others took the mantle from there through the rest of the 1990s. If Gary Bodie is only half as successful as the coach of the US Olympic Sailing Team as he was at Navy, US Olympic Sailing is destined for absolute greatness. Other teams may have put up some great performances, or produced America’s Cup rockstars, but those Navy teams of the early 1990s were truly special and the result of many years of program building by great sailors, committed to winning. And when they were on – like in 1991 (and through 1995) – they were absolutely dominant, if not the greatest of all time. Even more, if you saw some of the talent that started and didn’t finish at Navy, you’d be amazed…

Sinbad

Feb 14, 2007, 7:46 AM

Post #28 of 48 (524671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wgraves] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

WGraves and others make a great case for Navy in the '90's or Tufts in a few other years (and this latter, despite the ommission from Tufts' list of the late Manton Scott, Mike Loeb, and Ethan Bixby). But those making the case for Yale's teams of the 1970's have an even stronger argument if one both covers an entire decade, AND takes note of team depth (the "JV team", if you will), plus coaching (or the lack thereof). Looked at this way, the incredible Yale teams of the decade from 1972-1982 now include the following in addition to the Isler/Benjamin/Honey/Perry years:

- All Americans Pat Seaver and the late David Noyes, class of '72. Noyes finished in the top five of a 470 Olympic trials while taking IV's to deal with his Hodgkins disease.

- David Penfield and Art Keefe (class of 1975), who added a 2nd place in the dinghy Nationals in 1973 as sophomores.

- Steve Taylor, class of 1973, who couldn't even make the varsity dinghy team, due to its strength, but won the 420 Worlds twice and the 505 Worlds once shorlty after graduating.

- Nell Taylor, class of 1979, who won the US Yachtswoman of the Year award in 1979 in addition to her All-American skipper status in co-ed college racing.

- Robert Hopkins (class of 1980?), who also couldn't make the varsity dinghy team due to its strength, but who became a very successful coach of the US Olympic team as well as a key leader of several America's Cup programs.

- Jonathan McKee, Class of 1982, who, as a freshman, smoked the ENTIRE LIST of Yale & Tufts notables from the mid-1970's in the now famous dinghy invitational officially named for his grandfather, and then went on to a collegiiate career of considerable distinction prior to winning Olympic Gold in the FD shortly after his graduation.

For the entire decade of 1972-1982, Yale's teams produced not only the best results in collegiate sailing, but also multiple world and national titles in a wide array of classes. And for the entire time, there was no coach, for any Yale team during that decade.

On the side, this same coachless group (Taylor/Penfield/Honey/Benjamin/Isler/Perry/Hopkins et al) created, specified, tested, broke, and then re-developed what we now know as the Club 420 in the parking lot and sheds of YCYC, which might also count as a pretty good off-the-water contribution to college and youth sailing.

UCISailor

Feb 14, 2007, 1:41 PM

Post #29 of 48 (524476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaime Malm] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The ‘88-‘90 UC Irvine Team was a hot one. Just in their district they won dinghy PCC's from ‘86-‘90, Jon Pinckney won A Division at PCC's from ‘86-‘89, the Sloop PCC's in ‘89 (Jamie Malm driving) and Team Race PCC's in ‘87-‘88. On the national scene they won the ICSA Coed Dinghy Nationals in ‘88 and ‘90, and third in ‘89, A division at nationals in ‘88 (Jon Pinckney and Mike Sturman), Mike Sturman also went on to win B division as a skipper in 89 (I think the only person ever to do so), the ’88 Team Race Nationals. Not to mention 12 All-American titles and 4 All-American crew titles.
Also, Randy Lake won the Singlehanded nationals in 1993 ( he was a freshman on the 88-89 team)
And that’s just what these guys did in college.

dumoulin

Feb 14, 2007, 3:43 PM

Post #30 of 48 (524450 views)
Shortcut

Not much input yet about the 1960's! I was captain of Dartmouth and graduated in 1968. Times were different and most of us never heard of a roll tack until we got to college. The first minimum weight crew we noticed were MIT's use of their Asian undergraduates. Lucky we didn't pull the shrouds out of the boats we sailed with our total skipper/crew eight between 320 and 350. That all said, there were some very strong teams in NEISA. Top in my mind were Tufts with Dave Curtis and Charlie Loutrel, and Yale lead by David Coit. Coast Guard was tough with Butch Minson and Fred? Ingram. Luckily twins Chuck and Art Paine were split between URI and Brown. Yales Pete Dougherty was very tough- a 6'4" FInn sailor and quarterback of the Yale football team (record 6 touchdown passes against Columbia). I made the mistake of having a wet sponge fight with him between races. Freshman year we were all pretty equal, but over time USCG, Tufts and others who practiced regularly crept ahead of Dartmouth where we chipped away at ice, skiied, or hitchhiked to events.

Mitch Brindley

Feb 15, 2007, 6:18 AM

Post #31 of 48 (524284 views)
Shortcut

Craig, thank you for the thread. It has been fun to read the great stories see the pride that so many people share for their team, and the fondness they have for the college sailing experience, on the water and off.

I am often asked which era had the better sailors. As we have seen in this thread, there have been some standout teams. I certainly hold many of these earlier teams in the highest regard; it is inspiring to read the names on college sailing championship trophies. So many college sailing alums have become greats in the sport. And I am certain that the many of the most recent champions will also be revered by future sailors.

I don’t know which era had better sailors. I do think College Sailing is improved. Although the game is much the same, college sailing is arguably more sophisticated. There are many more fulltime coaches, more schools own fleets of boats that are in better condition; more sailors are participating in more numerous collegiate events with more races sailed. More teams have access to better facilities. And more of the campus communities have access to these boats and facilities for recreational and educational sailing opportunities. Our top team race events are umpired, and the premier fleet race events have on judges on the water enforcing rule 42.

College Sailing is looking forward to more improvements and greater growth with the support from the outstanding and influential college sailing alumni.

-Mitch Brindley ODU `89,
ICSA President

The Publisher

Feb 15, 2007, 7:41 AM

Post #32 of 48 (524236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mitch Brindley] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Hi Craig, can you post for me, I have crummy access here where I am.

From Zack Leonard:
In the 22 years I've been involved with College Sailing as a
participant and coach I've seen so many examples of excellence at both
the individual and team level that it's amazing. In the late 80s I saw
the excellent Irvine team, Navy at the beginning of it's great run and
KP, then as a young coach I saw Navy, ODU and the extremely deep Brown
and Tufts teams of the early 90s. I was lucky enough to be coached
part time as an undergrad by Dave Perry, Peter Isler and on spring
break trips, McKee. What I learned from them was invaluable. Not just
how to sail better, but how to learn how to sail better. Sailors of
their generation from a number of successful teams like URI (legler,
knapp, Adams et all), Tulane, Washington were in many cases uncoached.
They had to learn how to learn. They had a passion for the sport that
is remarkable. The eras are different, there are more opportunities at
different types of schools now and there is more parity as more teams
have coaches to help the sailors learn, but what remains true is that
the young sailors who have a true passion to learn and immerse
themselves in the game, rise to the top. Great Thread Craig.

dude

Feb 15, 2007, 9:55 AM

Post #33 of 48 (524043 views)
Shortcut

i sailed collegiately in the days of UCI domination in the '80's. their boat handling was absolutely amazing. i remember watching a video of one of their practices (that their coach, craig wilson, shared with me). their tacks, gybes, mark roundings were awesome. after a few minutes craig said to check out their rudders. my jaw dropped when i noticed nobody had rudders in their boats!

i also remembered when beach ball (mr. malm) first joined their team. one of his arms were broken and i asked him how that happened. he smiled and said i did not want to know :-) i recall a light wind race up north and uci (even though they were a south team) was up there to get a taste of sailing on the bay in preparation for the 1988 icsa nationals hosted by ryc. beach ball was so excited to try and beat his team mates that he was roll tacking the boat super aggressively...so aggressively that he flipped the boat over at least once...he came up wet and smiling and barely missed a beat...

another 'best' team to add would be the Cal Sailing Team (aka UC Berkeley) from the early 1950's when Lowell North, Bill Ficker and Lawrence Shep were a force to be reckoned with. i believe lawrence actually won b-division despite a dsq. lawrence told me (he used to live in SLO near my dad) that the team did sail offs to determine who would sail a's or b's. he said when lowell was on that he was unbeatable. he also said that they did not roll tack back in those days (but was very impressed with the athleticism of the modern roll tack).

respectfully submitted,
bryan mcdonald
us sailing appeals committee member
icsa rules committee member

bcnoack

Feb 15, 2007, 11:42 AM

Post #34 of 48 (523832 views)
Shortcut

I believe that the 93-94 Tufts team was the deepest collection of college sailing talent I have ever seen. Unfortunately, if you don't win "The Championship" (Co-ed Dinghies), you can't be the best. There are too many great teams that did win the big one. Anyone remember the 2001 Seattle Mariners? I don't think so. Exactly my point.

I would have to go with '91 Navy. They won Dinghies, Team Racing and Women's. These are the three biggest championships. They didn't win the Fowle but the Fowle should only be a secondary consideration. It is an indicator of depth and all-around ability but college sailing is primarily about about doublehanded dinghy sailing.
This is from a coach whose team won 5 Fowles in a row.

braddellenbaugh

Feb 15, 2007, 11:43 AM

Post #35 of 48 (523831 views)
Shortcut

Just a quick point...Navy's Susie Minton was a great college sailor in both Women's and Co-ed (two-time co-ed All American '91 and '92), but Brown's Kris Farrar Stookey was certainly her equal (co-ed All American in '90 and '91, honorable mention in '89). But Kris didn't sail another women's regatta after winning A division at the Women's Nationals in 1988, instead focusing on co-ed regattas. Other Brown women finished 1-2-2 in the 1989-1991 Women's Nationals to cap seven straight years at 1st or 2nd. (there's a misprint on the ICSA Women's Miller Trophy showing Tufts as both 1st and 2nd in 1989...Brown actually won in Chicago that year).

bmarden

Feb 15, 2007, 11:59 AM

Post #36 of 48 (523803 views)
Shortcut

Can’t speak for all the generations…. but having raced in the ’89-’93 years against some of the great teams mentioned in this thread (Navy, Tufts and Brown in particular), I would have to agree with Mr. Graves that the 1991 Navy team was the most dominant of them all. What a machine. They swept all national championships held in New Orleans that year. In the crudiest of conditions, Mr. Rodi exemplified Navy’s domination by putting on an inspiring boat handling clinic on the way to winning the first 7 or 8 eight races (this may need a fact check) of a loaded A division. They completed the hat trick by beating an excellent Brown squad for the team-racing crown.

mpinckney

Feb 15, 2007, 12:51 PM

Post #37 of 48 (523754 views)
Shortcut

Another team was College of Charleston 86 with Chris Moe, Johnny Lovell, Chris Larson, Mike Pinckney with crew Jayne Simmons, Rob Everton, Priscilla Albright and Walter Pringle. I do think that the crews were a big part of all those programs and should also be acknowledged.

UCI had a great team back in 72-73 with Jeff McDermaid, Jay Glaser, Ed Sands, Dave Hodges, Woody Macias.

The Publisher

Feb 15, 2007, 1:43 PM

Post #38 of 48 (523713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mpinckney] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

* From Nevin Sayre: I checked out the ‘Best College Sailing team’ forum
thread and was honored to be included. It's tough to toot your team's horn.
I'm more inclined to toot an "era". In my era there was Jonathan & Charlie
McKee, Morgan Reeser, Ken Read, Shadden, Linehan, Pete Melvin, Pete Lindsay,
Hookansen, Silvestri, Raab, Bill Lynn, Wefer, Johnstone, Slattery, Pede
Dickey and many others who ripped in college and went on to major sailing
accomplishments. But it would be hard to match against the era of Perry,
Benjamin, Isler, Delenbaugh, Legler, etc., or maybe a more contemporary era.
Interesting to think about though.

garybodie

Feb 15, 2007, 2:55 PM

Post #39 of 48 (523665 views)
Shortcut

Best College Sailing Historian: Mike Horn, when Mike speaks, this thread is dead.
Runner Up: Brad Dellenbaugh

Best Team Racing Team: Tufts 94
Runner Up: Navy 87

Best Team: I'm biased.
Runner Up: KP with Reeser and Lindsay

BTW, College Sailing needs better historical records online. There should be a page for each Intersectional, with top three teams, A&B winners etc..all the way back. Too cumbersome to go through the calendar year by year.

--Gary

Bruce Nelson

Feb 15, 2007, 10:11 PM

Post #40 of 48 (523483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garybodie] Best College Sailing Team [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

This thread has been interesting to follow and recall all the great moments college sailing has provided to so many - thank you Mike Horn, Hatch Brown, George Griswold, Anne Campbell, Graham Hall, Leonard Fowle and the many, many others who devoted endless time and energy to make it all possible.

I was fortunate to have sailed on a midwestern club team during a golden era in US college history - the early 70's. The comraderie, the sailing, the parties and the adventures associated with simply getting to the regattas, and back to campus, were unmatched in my decades of sailing before or since. Like every other persistent college sailor, I got to race against many great US sailors - and some very good English ones as well. I have no idea which team is/was the best of all-time, but I do recall some very good ones and developments worthy of mention:
Fall 1970 URI (Skip Whyte, Henry Bossett) giving roll-tacking lessons up and down the Charles River.
Spring 1971 USC (Argyle Campbell, Jack Jakosky, Doug Rastello) smoking fast in the 420's at the Nationals in Annapolis and dominating both the team racing and dinghy champs with awesome speed.
Fall 1971 NY Maritime (Gary Jobson) and Navy (Bill Campbell) consistently tough to beat.
Spring 1972 The SoCal teams with blazing offwind speed and upstart UC Irvine (Dave Hodges, Jeff McDermaid) winning the dinghy champs in San Diego over technically better Eastern teams.
Fall 1972 - Fall 1974 The rise of rocking, pumping, athletic sailors and special teams.
Spring 1975 The new era of special teams, crew substitutions and situational coaching as the Yale juggernaut (Perry, Isler, Benjamin and Co) topped Tufts, SDSU and a talented field in 420's in Chicago.

It was a time of change in college sailing, and the sport of sailing in general, and the changes have continued since. I have recently watched the local High School sailing teams practicing their team race drills, and their boat handling skills are impressive - I tend to agree with Andrew Campbell (Bill's son, and Anne's grandson) that the current champs are probably the best yet. But the more significant fact is that college sailing continues to attract new generations of sailors who continue to raise the quality of the game - thanks to the generous efforts and legacies of those named above, and many others.

Go Blue!

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules