Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Why didn't the J125 succeed?
Team McLube

Left Coaster

Nov 3, 2005, 9:52 AM

Post #1 of 15 (39705 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't the J125 succeed? Log-In to Post/Reply

Anyone know why J-boats stopped selling the J125 after so few were made? From what I have seen they we're kick ass boats. They have won their class in the transpac and can beat most 50 footers around the buoys. I'm sure there are a few around. I am boatless again and considering one but the fact so few were made makes me wonder what's up with them.

Mummy

Nov 3, 2005, 10:11 AM

Post #2 of 15 (39692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Left Coaster] Why didn't the J125 succeed? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Do your homework. They are fabulous boats but were meant to be grand prix boats but the Farr 40 already had the momentum when they were released. For shorthanded offshore work there probably isn't a better boat out there. Still, it would have been hard to fork out the 350k these cost new. Thank god the market for them collapsed so that us lesser folks can almost afford one now.

Left Coaster

Nov 3, 2005, 10:43 AM

Post #3 of 15 (39677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mummy] Why didn't the J125 succeed? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
Do your homework.

I never did my homework in school. Why would I start now?

I did search SA and found tons of mostly good comments on the boat but the only gripe mentioned was the initial cost and a few gripes about not sailing to its rating in a WL course in light/moderate conditions.

So does anyone know where one might be found for sale? (Mummy, I did do a little homework on this one and searched the usual places).

Mummy

Nov 3, 2005, 10:49 AM

Post #4 of 15 (39670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Left Coaster] Why didn't the J125 succeed? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I think there are currently 2 for sale. One in SoCal asking $175 I believe. Try SA classifieds iirc. If you buy one can I come for a ride?

Left Coaster

Nov 3, 2005, 2:38 PM

Post #5 of 15 (39598 views)
Shortcut

Maybe it sold? I've looked in SA classifieds, Yachtworld, Yachtcouncil, Google searched...

Mummy

Nov 3, 2005, 3:00 PM

Post #6 of 15 (39586 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm, I know I just saw it in the last 2 weeks. I am sure if you posted up on SA asking if there were any for sale you would get the right contact. I know Len who owns one of the SoCal ones is always reading SA. Or buy Trevor's Sweet Jane, the J90 that is the same as the J125 only smaller.

Bird Man

Nov 3, 2005, 6:17 PM

Post #7 of 15 (39550 views)
Shortcut

Dont by Sweet Jane, my old man is split betweem the 90 and a mumm

money shot

Nov 4, 2005, 12:57 AM

Post #8 of 15 (39515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bird Man] Why didn't the J125 succeed? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

the yellow j-125 is sold
in trans pac the 125 made up like over 6+ hrs in one day on us , it was like they were holding back the first half . sandbagers.

Mummy

Nov 4, 2005, 8:42 AM

Post #9 of 15 (39490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bird Man] Why didn't the J125 succeed? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Well, if you want to go fast offshore without the wipeouts that happen all too often on the Mumm, then the J90 is the right boat. If you want to race OD then obviously the Mumm is the right boat. Or you could but a Hendo 30 and be somewhere in the middle.

ForedeckSkuffle

Nov 9, 2005, 1:12 PM

Post #10 of 15 (39390 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well, if you want to go fast offshore without the wipeouts that happen all too often on the Mumm, then the J90 is the right boat. If you want to race OD then obviously the Mumm is the right boat. Or you could but a Hendo 30 and be somewhere in the middle.

Middle of the fleet finish, would be about right. That roundup issue is not worse on a Mumm, unless your crew isn't up for the ride.

Mummy

Nov 9, 2005, 1:46 PM

Post #11 of 15 (39385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ForedeckSkuffle] Why didn't the J125 succeed? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Hmmmm, why then do we see such spectacular wipeout footage from the Mumm30 fleet? Even in the Tour de Voile with professional crews we see huge wipeouts. Seems like saying the J24 doesn't have stability issues.

Btw, I happen to like the Mumms and think they are a great boat, fast downwind, just that when they crash they crash big. In comparison the J90 is on rails. I also happen to like sprit boats so I would buy the Hendo before I would buy a Mumm (I don't care about OD) although if I could afford it the J would be in my slip.

ForedeckSkuffle

Nov 9, 2005, 2:06 PM

Post #12 of 15 (39381 views)
Shortcut

Never seen a J90 out in breeze, they go home when the big dogs come out to play. Sprit boats are snooze fests for those not athletically inclined. All that meat on the rail and no talent.

OD. When you want to know how well you can sail as opposed to how good your rating is...

Mummy

Nov 9, 2005, 2:21 PM

Post #13 of 15 (39378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ForedeckSkuffle] Why didn't the J125 succeed? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Well, fact of the matter is you may have never seen a J90 period. They only built 5. 3 of those are in SF where it always blows hard and one is in New Orleans but did the single handed transpac last year. So they are out there when it blows hard they just might not be out where you play.

I agree that OD is a better test, it just doesn't exist where I sail uless I want to sail Optis. In order to sail OD I would need to trade the normal 15-20 knots of wind we usually have for 6-10 knots and I would rather sail in breeze.

Left Coaster

Nov 11, 2005, 5:44 PM

Post #14 of 15 (39311 views)
Shortcut

One design is so much more fun than PHRF or any handicap system. If there was a OD fleet in the northwest for boats over 35' I'd be all over it. I had a J35 when we had 8-9 boats on a start. Now I don't think there is a single design over 35' that saw more than two entries in PSSC or Grand Prix. I'd love to race OD locally but I want a big boat to ultimately do one of the races to Hawaii, there just aren't any OD big boat options in the northwest. I was ready to buy a J120 but three of them left the area in the last 6 months so now there are only two.

Bird Man

Nov 12, 2005, 11:18 PM

Post #15 of 15 (39291 views)
Shortcut

for the price of a 120 you can get a farr 40 with sails indeacent condition, and im preatty sure they are all over the place, and the one design racing rocks

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules