Thank you Tom Leweck
Team McLube

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Publisher

Dec 12, 2006, 9:25 AM

Post #1 of 43 (196745 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Tom Leweck Log-In to Post/Reply

Back in the early days of Scuttlebutt, communication for the sport was accomplished primarily by print publications. Doesn’t that seem like a long time ago? The Internet has had a significant effect in our lives, and Scuttlebutt has been riding this wave as it has changed the means by which sailing news is delivered.

The Scuttlebutt newsletter is approaching its tenth year, where Tom Leweck has largely been in charge of the 2200+ issues that have been published. While Tom will forever remain the official “Curmudgeon”, he has loosened his grip on the day-to-day editing of the newsletter, and is attempting to ‘really retire’ this time. Tom will undoubtedly remain a strong presence with the publication, where his professionalism and high standards have set a benchmark that Scuttlebutt will continue to live by.

For the holidays, what do you give someone who has made this kind of commitment? How about a pat on the back?

To honor this pending milestone, we are hoping that the ‘buttheads could take a moment to reply to this thread with a note of thanks.

John Tormey

Dec 12, 2006, 11:59 AM

Post #2 of 43 (196705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Thank you Tom Leweck [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Thanks for Scuttlebutt. Great publication, gets better each year. Really appreciate it!

HNRT

Dec 12, 2006, 3:40 PM

Post #3 of 43 (196692 views)
Shortcut

Nice job Tom! I can always rely on Butt giving me what I need to know, and that I can trust the info. You set a pretty high bar.

ddsail

Dec 12, 2006, 6:31 PM

Post #4 of 43 (196670 views)
Shortcut

Tom; Old sailor, old friend, old shipmate. Bravo Zulu for another outstanding job. Warmest Holiday regards. Dave DeLoSly

Tim Bohan

Dec 12, 2006, 6:33 PM

Post #5 of 43 (196669 views)
Shortcut

Tom, thanks to Scuttlebutt sailors from all over the world can stay connected and discuss all the issues that are important to all of us, you have made the world of sailing a smaller and better place. We all thank you very much, please keep up the great work, and I hope you have a very big 10yr. anniversary party!

thataway

Dec 12, 2006, 6:53 PM

Post #6 of 43 (196656 views)
Shortcut

Tom,
You and Scuttlebutt have done a tremendous amount for the world of sailing. The newsletters have always been in good tasste, right on track and well done. The subjects varied and pertinant. The readers responses to the point and well recieved. The forum tops it all off.

Here's to a long time more of Scuttlebutt and the world of sailing!

Bob Austin
Pensacola, FL

ddierks
Deleted

Dec 12, 2006, 7:40 PM

Post #7 of 43 (196637 views)
Shortcut

What do you give someone who has made this kind of commitment? Simple . . . LTPC! Thanks Tom.
Dean and the boys at RB&G!

JPed

Dec 12, 2006, 7:45 PM

Post #8 of 43 (196633 views)
Shortcut

Huge thanks to Tom! Living up here in Wisconsin it feels like the sailing season is rather short. Every day I get Scuttlebutt it lets me dream about sailing again.... and any day I can do that is a good day.

ddeisinger

Dec 12, 2006, 8:23 PM

Post #9 of 43 (196612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JPed] Thank you Tom Leweck [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Thanks for taking the Bad with the Sh*ty and keeping this offshore virtual rag going. Cheers from SFO.

shipwreckwave

Dec 12, 2006, 11:45 PM

Post #10 of 43 (196581 views)
Shortcut

It is the first thing I read in the mornings. It really brings the much needed energy to start the day. Informative, compact and fun.. Thank you ver much.
Yesim Unal
Istanbul-Turkey

Humbug
Deleted

Dec 13, 2006, 2:42 AM

Post #11 of 43 (196557 views)
Shortcut

Excellent source of news and basic
"glue" for far flung sailors... thank you so much...
John Holmberg, Bitter End, British Virgin Islands

mark washeim

Dec 13, 2006, 3:46 AM

Post #12 of 43 (196550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Humbug] Thank you Tom Leweck [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

As an industry professional I need to stay on top of the news and trends of the sailing world. Scuttlebutt is – by far – the best source for daily sailing news available. You’ve made it so easy to stay in the game. Thanks for that.

Mark Loe

Dec 13, 2006, 4:29 AM

Post #13 of 43 (196537 views)
Shortcut

Hi Tom, thanks for keeping us up to date with the latest "scuttlebutt" here in Trinidad, West Indies.

One105guy

Dec 13, 2006, 5:04 AM

Post #14 of 43 (196510 views)
Shortcut

Tom,

When the water is so hard you can walk on it. When you want to know what is happening with your favorite sailing event. When you want to know the inside of what is happening and where "You are the Man". Thank you it is appreciated.

J Harwood-Bee

Dec 13, 2006, 5:20 AM

Post #15 of 43 (196499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark Loe] Thank you Tom Leweck [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Tom
Many congratulations and thanks for the excellent service you continue to provide the sailing community. 'SCUTT' is a daily addiction and essential reading for those of us associated with sailing who wish to keep abreast of what is happening on and off the water. Long may you continue.

Seasons greetings to you and your team.

John Harwood-Bee
Chairman
Project 100 Ltd.

Chris Woods

Dec 13, 2006, 6:08 AM

Post #16 of 43 (196475 views)
Shortcut

Scuttlebutt has become such a wonderful resource for the sport, keeping us all connected to what is happening around the world. I sincerely hope you have tremendous pride is an accomplishment that has done so much for sailing. Thank you!

Chris

Chris
NYYC Team Racing

Captain Hook

Dec 13, 2006, 6:27 AM

Post #17 of 43 (196466 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Back in the early days of Scuttlebutt, communication for the sport was accomplished primarily by print publications. Doesn’t that seem like a long time ago? The Internet has had a significant effect in our lives, and Scuttlebutt has been riding this wave as it has changed the means by which sailing news is delivered.

The Scuttlebutt newsletter is approaching its tenth year, where Tom Leweck has largely been in charge of the 2200+ issues that have been published. While Tom will forever remain the official “Curmudgeon”, he has loosened his grip on the day-to-day editing of the newsletter, and is attempting to ‘really retire’ this time. Tom will undoubtedly remain a strong presence with the publication, where his professionalism and high standards have set a benchmark that Scuttlebutt will continue to live by.

For the holidays, what do you give someone who has made this kind of commitment? How about a pat on the back?

To honor this pending milestone, we are hoping that the ‘buttheads could take a moment to reply to this thread with a note of thanks.

SmileSmile I have enjoyed the 'Butt for the past 10 years. I especially enjoy the 'speed to press' of one-design racing updates. Thanks to Tom for
providing this terrific service to the racing community!!

TC

Dec 13, 2006, 6:39 AM

Post #18 of 43 (196455 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Tom, Thanks from someone in the industry that needs to know what's going on without waiting around for magazines. Your well chosen topics and news keeps us as well as owners and competitors well informed and your pioneering in the electronic media is much appreciated. Tink Chambers

hstevens

Dec 13, 2006, 7:08 AM

Post #19 of 43 (196439 views)
Shortcut

Tom,

Congratulations and thank you for such a tremendous job over the past ten years! For somebody that rides a desk more than I used to ride the rail, Scuttlebutt is a necessity for keeping sane.

All the best to you during the Holidays and in 2007,

Howie Stevens

SailTrim

Dec 13, 2006, 7:10 AM

Post #20 of 43 (196438 views)
Shortcut

I love the 'butt! It pairs with my coffee, my life and has been a key influencing factor in making my dream career a reality. Thank you for the time and effort invested in bringing a global community together.

Fair Winds,

~Jennifer

www.sailtrim.org

Walbolt

Dec 13, 2006, 7:10 AM

Post #21 of 43 (196438 views)
Shortcut

I've become addicted! But thanks, it's a daily requirement for me.

Alicia

Dec 13, 2006, 7:39 AM

Post #22 of 43 (196430 views)
Shortcut

Tom- I have never met you. I may never meet you but scuttlebutt is one of three online news sources I read every day. Washingtonpost.com and CNN.com have nothing on you guys even when it is cold and gray(like today) and I am stuck looking at the water from an office window rather then crewing a boat.

steveo

Dec 13, 2006, 7:53 AM

Post #23 of 43 (196423 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations Tom and thank you for a fantastic job. From a long time subscriber and fellow CYC mate.

Steve Wright

sonnet

Dec 13, 2006, 8:37 AM

Post #24 of 43 (196403 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations on a Scuttlebutt and a life of sailing. I have watched you through Humbug, Squirrel Cage, Lollypop and more sophisticated efforts. It is great that through Scuttlebutt your interest and knowledge is shared through the sailing community. Really without Scuttlebutt a lot of people wouldn't have much of a sailing community through part of the year.

Keep going Tom!

Bob Cox

Badger

Dec 13, 2006, 8:39 AM

Post #25 of 43 (196400 views)
Shortcut

The program continues to grow up, from hobby to profession, from ad-free to supported, but the news keeps coming in spite of it all. For those with extra time on their hands the blog is a great addition. Finding a way to balance the needs of most sailors is a never ending challenge--each sailor is passionate about their own areas of participation and wants full coverage of their niche! Yet, Tom continues on, bit by bit, guiding in Corinthian spirit and helping the sport in ways that could not have been conceived even 30 years ago. We look forward to more, thank you, and keep on keepin' on!

masonc

Dec 13, 2006, 8:45 AM

Post #26 of 43 (196362 views)
Shortcut

I've read the damn thing for 10 years. What more can I say.

Jim Fulton

Dec 13, 2006, 10:05 AM

Post #27 of 43 (196328 views)
Shortcut

Scuttlebutt is as important to me as the morning paper--more so on most days. Thanks for all you've done and keep up the good work.

Jim Fulton

sails4fun

Dec 13, 2006, 10:23 AM

Post #28 of 43 (196321 views)
Shortcut

Tom,
You have given a voice to those that enjoy our sport, a resource to those that can sometimes only read about our sport and an insight into many of the greats of our sport.
Thanks for having the insight to see the world from a sailboat.
Bruce Brown

starboat

Dec 13, 2006, 11:44 AM

Post #29 of 43 (196279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Tormey] Thank you Tom Leweck [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Sly Thanks Tom,You do a great job. The photos and videos are FANTASTIC
Keep it up.Dick Hovey

Gene McCarthy

Dec 13, 2006, 12:15 PM

Post #30 of 43 (196275 views)
Shortcut

Successful great Americans were not so in the first ten years of efforts - Turner, Comer - Look how Tom Leweck is beating the averages, buy some of his stock, it will pay dividends very soon.

Gene McCarthy

David F

Dec 13, 2006, 12:23 PM

Post #31 of 43 (196270 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Tom
Scuttlebutt is how I start my day at the office.

Butch

Dec 13, 2006, 1:50 PM

Post #32 of 43 (196254 views)
Shortcut

Dear Tom,
You started something really unique ten years ago. Now everyone is climbing on the bandwagon but you were the pioneer! You did the sport a great service! Thanks!
Butch
PS-You should rejoin the Masters at the Bitter End! It was not the same without you!

bob pickett

Dec 13, 2006, 3:04 PM

Post #33 of 43 (196241 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the great information and timely news.
beaujames

Tom Kirwan

Dec 13, 2006, 3:25 PM

Post #34 of 43 (196240 views)
Shortcut

While we all rely on you for keeping up with the "Big Dogs", the real magic is the time you spend on us little guys.
Thanks for your support and assistance with all those threads on "getting boats on the water" and the never-ending "what can we do about the ratings".
Maybe as a semi-retiree you can come down to CVYC and Race Your Home.
Thanks again.
Another Tom

knowsalot

Dec 13, 2006, 3:41 PM

Post #35 of 43 (196239 views)
Shortcut

Heck Yes - I'm more than happy to jump on this ol' "band wagon!" WAY TO GO CURMUDGEON! Tom Leweck has indeed done an incredible job, and all us Buttheads (and yet-to-be Buttheads) owe him a HUGE debt of gratitude. Next time you're on Maui, give a shout, there's a couple of cold ones with your name on 'em at the LYC!

Ron Wall
LYC Commodore ('96)

barnhole9154

Dec 13, 2006, 7:45 PM

Post #36 of 43 (196206 views)
Shortcut

I can't go to bed without reading Scuttlebutt

jamieh

Dec 13, 2006, 9:12 PM

Post #37 of 43 (196194 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Tom for the all the great work that you have put into Scuttlebutt, and all that you have done to make sailing a more visible sport. Your daily updates keeps everyone on top of whatever avenue of sailing they persue. Your hard work is highly appreciated!! Hope to see you soon in Jamestown!
Jamie

The Publisher

Dec 14, 2006, 5:40 AM

Post #38 of 43 (196155 views)
Shortcut

Posted elsewhere in the Forum by gilasailr:

Thank you for the best of its kind! I hope you get as much from this as WE get from it!
Great Job - the community appreciates it!

My non-sailing friends get links forwarded from time to time and have taken an interest in the sport and its news.

Thanks,
Gary O.
Take Care Have Fun Go Sail

kathyw

Dec 14, 2006, 10:58 AM

Post #39 of 43 (196128 views)
Shortcut

Scuttlebutt revolutionized communication in the sailing community! Where else could one rub shoulders with the likes of Lowell North, Peter Harken, Olin Stephens and the like and hear their opinions. Magazines are wonderful but always two months behind. Everyday Scuttlebutt keeps us in touch with the excitement of sailing and the people who love the sport. The only other place you can get information and have such great discussions is at a post-race party. Thanks Tom for all your hard work. I don't think anyone realizes just how much time and effort goes into putting out an issue.

Kathy W.

Bob Pistay

Dec 14, 2006, 11:30 AM

Post #40 of 43 (196125 views)
Shortcut

T Brewster,
Congratulations Tom, i do not beleive for one second that retirement is the proper word. From CAl 25s to Santuna 22s, to Cal 20s, all those classes and many more, could not wait for you to move on to another class so that someone else could place. Ultimately the key board is the big winner.
Cheers,
Bob Pistay

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules