Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Velux 5-Oceans
Team McLube

soloslr

Dec 4, 2006, 2:47 PM

Post #1 of 4 (6973 views)
Shortcut
Velux 5-Oceans Log-In to Post/Reply

With Bernard Stamm comfortably in Freemantle, his closest pursuer still 900 miles away and the rest almost 4,000 miles back, is the VELUX 5-Oceans still a race? There is no doubt about the severity of the damage that drove Alex Thompson and Mike Golding to shore, but what remains is one competitive boat and sailor, one competitive sailor on an uncompetitive boat and three semi-hapless adventurers poking along behind. Five boats separated by thousands of miles and boatloads of skill does not draw much interest.

Gumby

Dec 5, 2006, 7:57 AM

Post #2 of 4 (6959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [soloslr] Velux 5-Oceans [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Yep. Huge difference from the 2002 race where there was great competition in two classes. While you have to admire RJK for going around again, he is just not the same calibre sailor as Stamm. Stamm is bemoaning the loss of his small jib because it is the right size to use in 50 knots, the storm jib is too small, and RJK is complaining because he is out of whiskey.

reefer

Dec 5, 2006, 8:00 AM

Post #3 of 4 (6959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [soloslr] Velux 5-Oceans [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

yeah, the fleet/sport is getting a bit thin, for sure. But man, what an adventure!!

I love Robin KJ's quote in:

"I have come to the conclusion that I have not entered a race, I have entered an obstacle course and the actual race is becoming increasingly irrelevant to this particular leg."

That says it all...about many things in life. I do wish I could do that race one day, until then I will think of all the "obstacles" in my own daily "race"!

HNRT

Dec 5, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #4 of 4 (6956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reefer] Velux 5-Oceans [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Distance "racing" now requires as much sailing skill as writing skill. However, a key component is knowing the characters, and having lost two main players, there are only two more than have any far-reaching recognition. Can RJK carry this race with his observations, cause it seems like Stamm is the silent type?

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules