Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Who drives your boat?
Team McLube

The Publisher

Dec 4, 2006, 5:11 AM

Post #1 of 3 (6553 views)
Shortcut
Who drives your boat? Log-In to Post/Reply

Bruce submitted this letter to the Scuttlebutt newsletter, and now it's posted here for further comments:

* From Bruce Bates, Durham, NH: As a sailor who has raced and cruised for over 50 years, will someone please explain to me what the fun is in sitting in the main hatch and watching professionals drive your boat? I would rather come in last over and over and have the satisfaction of having done my best on my own than pay people to race for me.

PaulK

Dec 4, 2006, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 3 (6530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Who drives your boat? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Guess some people just like to watch. That's why getting TV coverage of sailboat racing is so vital to our sport. It's so that they can watch and not have to get wet either. I don't like getting wet, but I can't stand just watching.

HNRT

Dec 5, 2006, 8:42 AM

Post #3 of 3 (6483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulK] Who drives your boat? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Interesting connection with TV. I like going to sports events, but I miss not having instant replay. Must be my A.D.D. (or the beers).

What's important to realize that on most boats, the helmsman's job is to just steer. Sure there is more to it than just keeping the telltales flowing - they need to be able to steer thru situations. But since the tactician should be verbally steering the boat too, the helmsman's job is simpler than most think. There are plenty of folks who aren't very good sailors on their own, but they have learned how to steer.

My guess is that some people like having the control of owning their own boat, but don't have the patience and concentration needed to steer it when racing.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules