Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Overheard at the BVI Pro-Am about Coutts
Team McLube

The Publisher

Nov 7, 2006, 11:24 AM

Post #1 of 4 (7733 views)
Shortcut
Overheard at the BVI Pro-Am about Coutts Log-In to Post/Reply

At the recently completed Pro-Am Regatta sponsored by vineyard vines at the Bitter End YC in the BVI, one of the guests made the following statement after stepping off the IC 24 she sailed on as a crew for Russell Coutts, "Russell Coutts has to be the nicest person in the world."

When the Curmudgeon mentioned the quote to Coutts, his face lit up with a huge smile and he said, "Put that in Scuttlebutt -- I think you may find a few Kiwis who will disagree." Well -- it's a thread we really do not want to open up in the newsletter, but those with opinions on the subject are welcome to reply with your comments here.

wmrigger

Nov 9, 2006, 10:04 AM

Post #2 of 4 (7453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Overheard at the BVI Pro-Am about Coutts [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

My wife and I had breakfast with Russell Coutts at the Cal Cup. The sleds were gone so we were sailing Melges 24s and the club was putting on a breakfast. Russell was living in San Francisco at the time so when he and his crew joined our table we had a long conversation about the bay area, sailing, and golfing at Pebble Beach.

I admit to being a bit star struck when he sat down next to me, but he displayed as much interest in our comments as we did in his. We left breakfast feeling like we had met the Tiger Woods of sailing, and really liked him. Coutts would have won that regatta if he had restarted the last race (he was OCS), they ended up second to Ullman (another nice guy) we were third. Not many sports where you can be a weekend warrior and still get to meet and play against the best in the world.

rudder head

Nov 10, 2006, 7:20 AM

Post #3 of 4 (7357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Overheard at the BVI Pro-Am about Coutts [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I recently met Coutts and his family at the BEYC and think they are very friendly people. Russell seem some what private, but you can't blame someone for being private or event cautious. I think he is a good guy.

atefooterz

Nov 11, 2006, 2:53 AM

Post #4 of 4 (7320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rudder head] Overheard at the BVI Pro-Am about Coutts [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

My only face to face encounters with the bloke was way back in the day when he thought he could sail an 18footer on the Grand Prix Circuit & win ....he did have the very best of gear etc and all that however "eighteen footers are eighteen footers! " ,glad to see he made some better progress back in the keelboats .... Lol Wink

twitter @8footerz

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules