Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Olympic Team Approach - pls discuss
Team McLube

blowboater

Nov 6, 2006, 7:35 AM

Post #1 of 2 (5498 views)
Shortcut
Olympic Team Approach - pls discuss Log-In to Post/Reply

I am curious to hear what others have to say about the change in the approach to building our Olympic Team as reported in the last few issues of Scuttlebutt. It seems we are "doing" better in terms of international results and standings than in the recent past. But I am not sure I understand some of the parts to the approach, and to what extent the changes have helped the cause, or if the "improvements" (in individual results, which I guess is the yeardstick?) are really caused by other factors (like a "blip" of particularly well-prepared sailors coming out at the same time):
  1. Money is obviously an important factor and it is reported that this has changed considerably. But is money going to individuals really as good as money going into the "infrastructure" of the system that produces sailors.
  2. The change to individual support from class support is interesting in this regard. What do other countries do? Certainly one can see the strength in classes, which reflects participation in sailing overall, as much stronger in other countries. One always tends to think that big, strong overall programs yield the best elite as the bigger programs give the elite the most training, experience, competition and social/sponsor recognition.
  3. No payments nor reimbursements to volunteers? Did I read that right? Is there no professional staff in that org? What do other countries do?
  4. Are we benchmarking ourselves in several aspects (not just short term results of indovidual sailors) against other programs and understanding how we are doing and how we differ from others?

Your thoughts?

msherman

Nov 7, 2006, 9:41 AM

Post #2 of 2 (5475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blowboater] Olympic Team Approach - pls discuss [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Re: a comment from a Letter to the Editor:

It's incredible to me that there can be record numbers of young sailors at regional and national junior events and just 10 US boats at the 470 pre-Olympic regatta.

Not sure what the problem is, but something seems to be way out of whack in the model if the interest in the Olympics is so spotty (and one class couldn't even have their pre-Olympic regatta because of lack of interest?).

I guess the model is to not build from the ground up, but to simply have an elite?

Viewing the Forums: aloha11x and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules