Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
New Docks at Baltimore Sailing Center
Team McLube

Alicia

Oct 25, 2006, 2:00 PM

Post #1 of 2 (8370 views)
Shortcut
New Docks at Baltimore Sailing Center Log-In to Post/Reply

I am quoting from another Downtown sailing center members letter to Scuttlebutt below that was published last week. Elsewhere on this site we keep talking about having more kids and adults able to enjoy the fun of sailing. If it were not for the downtown sailing center I would not be able to afford sailing as a hobby and there are hundreds of others that feel the same way.

"Hello,
I am writing to Scuttlebutt in hopes you might post this request either on your web site or include it in your newsletter, or both.
You may know of the Downtown Sailing Center in Baltimore's Inner Harbor through having one of our sailing instructors, Steve Manson, selected to participate in Roy Disney's Morning Light Transpac movie (as documented in Scuttlebutt). Steve is a hard working, bright, ambitious, and thoroughly agreeable young man who has made us all very proud of him and the program at the DSC in which he learned to sail and now teaches others.
The project we have undertaken is detailed below. Several months ago, the DSC initiated an ambitious plan to remove and replace its floating docks with donated concrete docks from the Inner Harbor Marina in Baltimore, MD. I, as well as all the members and the Board of the DSC, have contributed monetarily to meet our Phase 1 goal. We have recently learned that the timeline for Phase 1 completion has been accelerated. I recently volunteered to haul old pilings and assorted debris pulled from the Patapsco River on Monday and Tuesday, October 23rd and 24th.
As a dedicated group of skippers, crew, instructors, and generally all around sailing enthusiasts, we appreciate anything your loyal band of 'Buttheads' can do to help us with this fund-raiser. For additional information, please contact Jerry Hauprich, our Executive Director, or Colleen Donlin, our Office Manager - both can be reached at (410) 727-0722.
Thank you for your time and interest. Enjoy sailing this Fall!
Sincerely,
Curtis"

Jim Gretzky

Oct 27, 2006, 6:49 AM

Post #2 of 2 (8334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alicia] New Docks at Baltimore Sailing Center [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I was heavily involved with DSC when it was formed in the early 1990's when I lived in Baltimore. This is an organization that has grown from a handful of members to become an important part of the community. They have shown the way toward providing access to the the water for all members of the community. They provide opportunities for every skill level with a fleet that includes J-22's, Sonars and the Access Dinghies.

I have been particularly pleased to see the various outreach programs that they have instituted. Thousands of inner city kids have been given a chance to get out on the water and broaden their horizons! The DSC is a wonderful example of sailors not just giving something back to our sport but also to the community as a whole. We need more organizations like the Downtown Sailing Center!

As in many communities, access to the water can be a difficult and expensive proposition. This is a organization that can use all the support that Members of Scuttlebutt can provide toward maintaining and improving their facilities. My contribution is on the way!

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules