Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
420 - need info
Team McLube

jimjomac

Oct 25, 2006, 9:56 AM

Post #1 of 3 (6989 views)
Shortcut
420 - need info Log-In to Post/Reply

I inherited an old 420, but will not be able to use it. In order to sell it, I need to know the model year and builder. Does anyone know how to determine that, or what a fair asking price would be? The nameplate is a little hard to read, but I got this much off of it:

Model 420
PT NO PT0120
??? NO US11584

I assume the ??? says serial number. The boat is serviceable, needs a small amount of bottom 'glass work near the c'board trunk, needs plywood spray shields replaced, needs plywood rudder replaced (I have a piece of superb marine ply that can be included for rudder). Plywood c'board only needs refinishing. All rigging & spinnaker included. St Mary's County, Maryland.

If anyone can tell me more, or lead me to another source of info, I'll be most appreciative!

buzzardsbay

Oct 27, 2006, 6:17 AM

Post #2 of 3 (6968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimjomac] 420 - need info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

On the outside upper corner of the starboard transom there should be a Hull Identification Number (HIN). If not, then the boat is older than 1973, the year the US Coast Guard began requiring HIN numbers on all boats. It sounds like you have an old International 420, you might consider looking the class association (www.420sailing.org) up on the web and asking their class secretary for any information from the builders plaque.

jimjomac

Oct 30, 2006, 6:02 AM

Post #3 of 3 (6946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buzzardsbay] 420 - need info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Thanks, that may help. There is no HIN on the transwom, only the metal plate, so I know it's old. I didn't know the CG's reg on transom HIN applied to small sailboats. I've been looking at www.club420.org and Vanguard's site (the latter of course being useless for info on old boats). I had not found www.420sailing.org in my searches so I'll definately check it out.

One question: Is "International" a brand or class? I had the impression AMF was an early builder, but I'm probably mixing up with Sunfish.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules