Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Whaddup wid zee Germans?
Team McLube

capescrod

Oct 25, 2006, 6:08 AM

Post #1 of 6 (10026 views)
Shortcut
Whaddup wid zee Germans? Log-In to Post/Reply

The German team (reigning world champions) had its skipper knocked overboard when the boom clocked him. They got him onboard safely and dropped sails, then drifted under the Bay Bridge, where a crew member swam to a piling with the anchor line and tied them to it. Once bailed out, they could set the jib and sail back.

Svimmen zee, shnell!!! Achtung, baby, zee piling aufederzehen...

My German is terrible, but my knowing that this swimming to the piling of a bridge to tie up a floating away boat in a wind storm is of questionable judgement - easy of course to say from my relatively dry cubicle....

The Publisher

Oct 25, 2006, 6:12 AM

Post #2 of 6 (10024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [capescrod] Whaddup wid zee Germans? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

If you are wondering what this thread is about, here is the link to the story about the Germans and the gale at the 2006 Soling Worlds: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/06/1024

capescrod

Oct 25, 2006, 6:20 AM

Post #3 of 6 (10023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Whaddup wid zee Germans? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I just question the judgement here and thought it would be a good thread fodder for the topic "Stoopid stuff that I did that almost got me killed, in retrospect"

PaulK

Oct 25, 2006, 8:05 PM

Post #4 of 6 (10013 views)
Shortcut

Sounds more like "any port in a storm" and "you do what you have to". Where were the crash boats? Retrieving crew from boats that had SUNK. The Bridge is a good distance from where the races are generally held. If they got blown that far, it's likely they'd have gone a lot further if they hadn't gotten tied up. A Soling in rough conditions gets VERY bouncy and uncomfortable with three fully capable crew. Half the boat is out of the water (the front or the back) in a 6' wave, and you're hiking like crazy hoping no one's coming on the other tack that you can't see. They move FAST. Get one crew knocked in the head and tired from being overboard, and you're lucky to get him back. I've lost crew overboard on a Soling spinnaker run - it's no picnic. Tying up to whatever's available - even a government bouy (horrors- that's illegal!) might be the best thing to do in the circumstances.

capescrod

Oct 26, 2006, 5:22 AM

Post #5 of 6 (9999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulK] Whaddup wid zee Germans? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Sorry, not buying...leaving the boat is the wrong move. You might not end up as lucky. Again, currently the only thing I am at the helm of is a 1.2ghz Dell, but c'mon, October is not the time to get in the water in a gale...

PaulK

Oct 26, 2006, 2:39 PM

Post #6 of 6 (9987 views)
Shortcut

I wasn't there, but have raced against Fogh, Walker, and their ilk, in Solings. A crew coming all the way from Germany to Annapolis for the Soling Worlds is likely to know very well what they're doing, likely to be in good condition, and possibly be able to consider that the Chesapeake in October is like a heated pool to them. Other things might have been going on that weren't reported, and which forced them to make an unpalatable (and I agree, less than safe) maneuver. They were there and perhaps avoided something they considered worse by doing what they did.

Viewing the Forums: Eeraja and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules