Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Mount Gay Rum hat contest
Team McLube

The Publisher

Oct 16, 2006, 3:58 PM

Post #1 of 34 (100046 views)
Shortcut
Mount Gay Rum hat contest Log-In to Post/Reply

The rules are simple – he or she with the most red hats wins. Since we cannot verify the actual ownership of a Mount Gay Rum hat, we are simply looking for photos that show the most countable red hats. We don’t care if you combine collections with your mates… just show us the hats! You have all week (and weekend) to pull this together, wherein the Scuttlebutt judges will review all the entries beginning Monday, Oct 23 (perhaps over Mount Gay and Tonics). The top three entries will be those with photos that show the most red hats that we can count. Winners will win… Mount Gay Rum gear/schwag.

Reply with your entry, and either attach or insert your photo with your post. Below is an example.

Albatross

Oct 17, 2006, 6:54 AM

Post #2 of 34 (99534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Mount Gay Rum hat contest [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I let my friends borrow my Mount Gay Rum hat collection for this picture, do I win? (2006 J-DAZE J/24 Regatta - Canandaigua Yacht Club)

Wink

Steffi

Oct 17, 2006, 1:26 PM

Post #3 of 34 (99248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Albatross] Mount Gay Rum hat contest [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Nice Try... but zoom that in and you see they are all the SAME hat. Gathering all the people at one Mt. Gay party for a photo seems a bit like not doing your penalty turn when you hit a mark just because no one was there to see you!

Zoom in on mine and you can read every regatta and see they are NOT the same! Honestly, these are all from events I SAILED in!

jwlord@MAC.COM

Oct 18, 2006, 6:36 PM

Post #4 of 34 (98968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steffi] Mount Gay Rum hat contest [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

there is a guy that lives in a nw suburb of chicago, goes by the name john boyle... i believe he has a huge collection of "quality" mt gay hats. how come we havent heard from him? you out there, boyle?
jessica winslow lord

sail.2007

Oct 18, 2006, 11:00 PM

Post #5 of 34 (98888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Mount Gay Rum hat contest [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Ok heres my Contribution, its not many But its big and lives in Halifax Harbour.

jwlord@MAC.COM

Oct 19, 2006, 8:52 PM

Post #6 of 34 (98387 views)
Shortcut
Re: hat contest--> here is it! a winner for sure! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

FROM JOHN BOYLE:

"This island of hats should remind everyone of Barbados. Rather than trying to count the hats (all of them from different events), take my word that there are 105. I prefer my Mt. Gay with orange juice--it makes it a health drink. John Boyle, and the fine sailing vessel MIRAGE, a Beneteau First 42."
jessica winslow lord

jwlord@MAC.COM

Oct 19, 2006, 9:10 PM

Post #7 of 34 (98382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jwlord@MAC.COM] hat contest--> here is it! a winner for sure! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

JOHN'S HATS!
jessica winslow lord

Steffi

Oct 20, 2006, 4:45 AM

Post #8 of 34 (98320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jwlord@MAC.COM] hat contest--> here is it! a winner for sure! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Nice collection John! My hat's off to you! Just curious, what's the oldest one in the pile, and which one is from the farthest port from your home?

capescrod

Oct 20, 2006, 7:40 AM

Post #9 of 34 (98198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steffi] hat contest--> here is it! a winner for sure! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I'm a little embarrassed to say it, but I was a different guy back then - I think it was the '88 BIRW my buddy and I perpertrated a mugging for a MT. Gay hat, under the tent, if that person reads this, I am truly sorry.

Steffi

Oct 20, 2006, 7:46 AM

Post #10 of 34 (98192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [capescrod] hat contest--> here is it! a winner for sure! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I understand! I nearly got arrested in Key West when I took one off the head of the bouncer at Sloppy's! They promised me 4 hats if i would enter the 'whipped cream regatta' (remember those?), because all the other girls were chicken. so I did, and then they didn't give me any hats! I was angry so I grabbed one off the bouncer's head and he chased me down Duvall for it and threatened me with the cops if I didn't give it back...which of course, I did. Ah...the 'good old days'!! LOL!! I think that was back in '90 or so.

capescrod

Oct 20, 2006, 7:52 AM

Post #11 of 34 (98186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steffi] hat contest--> here is it! a winner for sure! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I think it is the color - like a Bull to the cape...

George S

Oct 20, 2006, 9:28 AM

Post #12 of 34 (98118 views)
Shortcut

None. Nada. I really want one, almost stole the one my daughter's roomate had, but I didn't earn it so that was that. Is there a booby prize?

I have two hats from the BEYC, and have had my share of Mount Gay nectar.

George

dick enersen

Oct 20, 2006, 10:06 AM

Post #13 of 34 (98091 views)
Shortcut

I have lost more red caps overboard than most yachties have had hot dinners, but I have carefully preserved this mint piece of memorabilia from the '84 SORC on CONGERE.
If you have categories for "old" or "unique," here's my submission.
cheers, de

capescrod

Oct 20, 2006, 12:21 PM

Post #14 of 34 (98036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dick enersen] Mount Gay Rum hat contest [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I bow down to that hat..

Steffi

Oct 20, 2006, 12:22 PM

Post #15 of 34 (98036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dick enersen] Mount Gay Rum hat contest [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

WOW! Now that IS a treasure! I wish they'd start making visors again!
Did you know that after she was Congere, she became Windmere, and after that she was purchased by a Doctor in Ft. Lauderdale and was renamed Hawkeye. I did the first (and I think it was the last) Key West to Veradero, Cuba race on her! That was in '97. We got line honors but others got us on corrections. Too bad Mt. Gay was not a sponsor for that one!

CayenneIII

Oct 20, 2006, 2:05 PM

Post #16 of 34 (98006 views)
Shortcut

[inline "Cayenne III MG Caps.JPG"]We could find only 60 Mt. Gay caps on our boat, Cayenne III, plus a 2000 Barbados Boatyard Regatta Backpack, a belly bag and 1 fake MG cap (can you find it?) - here they are on the dock in Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela, next to the mothership. Can you find the oh-so-special Marmaduke's Pub Cap #1 from Eastport, MD?

The fun of these caps comes more from the racing than the collecting, but that's fun, too. We acquired 95% of these red caps at regattas we raced in.
Fair winds,
Tony & Ellen

spinbetti

Oct 22, 2006, 12:30 PM

Post #17 of 34 (97855 views)
Shortcut

I have probably given away as many as this and have another bag of them that I couldn't find. These are all regattas that I have sailed. Includes 10 years of KWRW, 6 years of BIRW, 5 years of NYYC Race week, 3 years of Bermuda races, 3 years of Big Boat Series and 3 years of Antigua Race Week and an Admiral's Cup - amongst others. Oldest 1991 KWRW.

jwlord@MAC.COM

Oct 22, 2006, 4:35 PM

Post #18 of 34 (97831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steffi] sloppy's w'cream race.... [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

being the goof i am, i too was talked into getting up on stage to "win" a hat for this guy on our crew who didn't get one. (1994 i think?) won the contest. got the hat. gave it to the dude. did the walk of shame! thanks for reminding me!
jessica winslow lord

The Publisher

Oct 23, 2006, 6:21 AM

Post #19 of 34 (97767 views)
Shortcut

AWARDS CEREMONY

First five entries receive Scuttlebutt caps
1 - Albatross*
2 - Steffi
3 - Jwlord@mac.com /John Boyle
4 - dick enerson
5 - Cayenne lll

Top three with most hats receive Mount Gay Rum gear/schwag
1 - Jwlord@mac.com /John Boyle (at least 60 hats, and possibly the 105 that is claimed)
2 - Cayenne lll (59 hats)
3 - spinbetti (57 hats)

* The judges disqualified Albatross' photo of 105 hats for their savvy attempt to circumvent the poorly written contest rules.

Steffi

Oct 23, 2006, 6:44 AM

Post #20 of 34 (97756 views)
Shortcut

Oh HELL, I think you should give Albatross a prize too... call it the Creative Style award or something! They all look great in their hats!

Thanks for the fun look at other collectors!

southernman

Dec 22, 2006, 12:26 AM

Post #21 of 34 (97128 views)
Shortcut

Very impressive Steffi~

Are ya single ??

southernman

Dec 22, 2006, 12:28 AM

Post #22 of 34 (97127 views)
Shortcut

Corinthian too.......whoa

Are ya single ?

Steffi

Dec 22, 2006, 5:20 AM

Post #23 of 34 (97118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southernman] Mount Gay Rum hat contest [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

www.yachtrace.net

southernman

Dec 22, 2006, 9:00 AM

Post #24 of 34 (97107 views)
Shortcut

www.thankyouforthat.com

Very very nice! Ya just never know.........

jeffry matzdorff

Steffi

Dec 22, 2006, 9:53 AM

Post #25 of 34 (97102 views)
Shortcut

so Southernman? Where are you and are you single and what do you sail? I'd have liked to reply to this one via your own email but I have no idea what it is.

southernman

Dec 22, 2006, 10:18 AM

Post #26 of 34 (97116 views)
Shortcut

I am here:

N 35 58 467
W 118 27 004

Great website you have there. Speaks volumes!

This is a fine venue for this type of activity. I'm sure The Publisher would approve

Other than my sailing cat Punkin of 11 years, I am single and never been married ...since childhood. I live on my boat here in Marina Del Rey where I can enjoy all the nice boats and nice dock parties year round. I suppose I would consider myself more of an extensive ocean cruiser than an avid racer for the last 35 years, but as long as the boat has cloth I am golden. Tons of dinghy sailing in SoCal in my 'yout' but then came college and then came work...but still managed an ocean crossing or three during that time.

Other than our sunset series and other assorted bouy racing, I am very fortunate to be invited from time to time aboard a Jeanneau 52- 'Between The Sheets' which is super competitive here on the west coast with long distance races.

my email is earthakat@msn.com long story but leftovers from my almost wife a few years ago....

jeffry matzdorff is me name. Looking forward to hearing from you

"^..^"

stuartross18

Jan 9, 2007, 7:21 AM

Post #27 of 34 (96993 views)
Shortcut

I know I'm coming in too late to enter, but does anyone want to see what the FIRST red hats looked like, from 1982? There were only 8 produced, as visors, as the original manufacturer screwed up the color on the other 492 that I ordered. They are in the front row, left and center. Others in the photo are an early Antigua Race Week visor from 1986 and a rare white visor from 1987, as well as a Manhattan Yacht Club Blue Chip Challenge hat from 1992. Needless to say, I have tons of other Mount Gay paraphernalia as well.

stuartross18

Jan 9, 2007, 7:23 AM

Post #28 of 34 (96991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stuartross18] Mount Gay Rum hat contest [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Here's the photo.

southernman

Jan 10, 2007, 2:06 PM

Post #29 of 34 (96937 views)
Shortcut

would love to. That's old! LOL

Try not checking the inline option...

Attachments: OLD SCHOOL3.jpg (111 KB)

stuartross18

Jan 10, 2007, 2:10 PM

Post #30 of 34 (96933 views)
Shortcut

southernman

Jan 10, 2007, 2:14 PM

Post #31 of 34 (96930 views)
Shortcut

WOW. Thanks for that. Nice collection.

makoya

Jun 28, 2007, 12:51 PM

Post #32 of 34 (96032 views)
Shortcut

These are the 'Hard' to get hats from Winthrop, MA

Also, no copy right infringement.
Attachments: IMGP2339.JPG (215 KB)
  IMGP2340.JPG (152 KB)

The Publisher

Jul 12, 2007, 6:20 AM

Post #33 of 34 (95732 views)
Shortcut

Looks like the Mount Gay Rum hat contest lives on!

See below, plus here is a link: http://www.nwd42.com/...EDBJOYDIFEJFCDKUi$NO

The Publisher

Aug 28, 2007, 10:07 AM

Post #34 of 34 (94389 views)
Shortcut

Here's a video providing a historical account of the Mount Gay hat: http://www.nshof.org/videos/video4.html

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules