Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Sailing Open Race Regatta 2007 Proposed
Team McLube

sail.2007

Oct 11, 2006, 6:15 AM

Post #1 of 8 (11467 views)
Shortcut
Sailing Open Race Regatta 2007 Proposed Log-In to Post/Reply

A "One Design" Race Event is being planned for the summer of 2007, the evet will be open to all whom have an interest in the event. The boats are supplied and are aproximately 20ft in legnth. Including captain & Crew 3 persons in total are required in this event. The total prize payout for this event will be $234,000.00 in cash plus other related prizes. the event location will be in atlantic canada, and is dependant on the number of registrants.
email: sail.2007@hotmail.com
for more information on this event... thankyou!
http://ca.geocities.com/sail.2007@rogers.com

PaulK

Oct 11, 2006, 8:50 PM

Post #2 of 8 (11452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sail.2007] Sailing Open Race Regatta 2007 Proposed [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

They're having the Lightning NA's in Halifax and giving out $200,000 in cash and prizes????

sail.2007

Oct 11, 2006, 9:18 PM

Post #3 of 8 (11451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulK] Sailing Open Race Regatta 2007 Proposed [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

This is interesting I will look that one up too thanks for the info!

The Publisher

Oct 16, 2006, 11:51 AM

Post #4 of 8 (11407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sail.2007] Sailing Open Race Regatta 2007 Proposed [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Scuttlebutt is trying to verify this event, but here is more info that was sent to us:

Sailing 2007

Notice of Invitation

$234,000.00 in Cash Prizes!

Email: sail.2007@hotmail.com

An Invitation of intent to hold a "one Design" sailing race is extended internationally to sailors whom have an interest in the event

Event Location: Atlantic Canada

Specifically Petitcodiac lake in Riverview, Moncton & Dieppe Tri-Cities

An official Notice of Race will be sent out to all interested parties in the New Year.

An official website including an online registration area will be sent to all interested parties sometime in January of the New Year where Registrants will be accepted for placement in their series of races on a first come first serve basis.

The Event will take place over the summer period of June, July & August; you will only need to be here during the time of your Elimination's round of racing which is approximately 10 days depending on the weather. If successful in your eliminations round, you will be required to return for either the challenger or defender series. Should you win either of these, the Match race series of "challenger" vs. "defender" follows immediately afterwards

A minimum number of entrants are required for this event to take place!

Captain’s & Crew

Each sailboat shall have one captain and two Crew

Number of 3 persons

Each boat shall start and finish a race with all persons on board

Any boat Captain or crew that is a known sailor or professional must declare so in the registration form that he is. No worries you may still enter.

When selecting the dates of your "Eliminations race grouping" any known professional sailor will be indicated by a *asterix* next to their name.

In the event of multiple professional sailors these sailors shall fill the same grouping for eliminations.

Sailboats or that of "One Design" and will be supplied.

Their size is between 20-23 feet in length

We have narrowed down or selections and are actively seeking our boat sponsor.

These boats are all spinnaker equipped, and this is no white sail event, meaning that the downwind leg will require the use of a spinnaker.

Course changes? The course is set prior the race start and will not change once a race has commenced.

Each boat shall fly from their stern a flag of their country of origin

Racing rules of sailing shall apply.

Eliminations Round

Lake Petitcodiac 2007 International Event

The event will consist of 12 sailboats “one design” donated for the event Period by our official manufacturer

120 skippers

240 Crewmen

10 series of 9 Races

Each sailboat will have 3 persons in total: 1 Captain & 2 crew

12 boats will race a series of 9 races in total, against one another to determine the 1st, 2nd and third place winners from accumulated points.

Points are awarded as follows:

Eliminations:

• 3 points 1st place winner
  • 2 points second place winner
  • 1 point 3rd Place winner

At the end of the 5th race, best 4 boats (points accumulated) advance! (Race #6 & race #7)Points rest to 0 at the end of the 7th race best 2 boats advance! (Race #8 & race #9 Match race)Points rest to 0

Match race begins should there be a tie; a 3rd race shall take place to declare 1st and 2nd place winners. Any tie of decision = match race for determination of winner.

1st and 2nd Place both guaranteed placement in 70 finals series

1st place shall advance to "Defender" series

2cnd place shall advance to "challenger" series.

Prize payout 1st round:

• 1st place = $5,000.00
  • 2nd place = $4,000.00
  • 3rd place = $2,800.00
Total 1st round = $11,800.00 Prizes & Awards Challenger round

Challenger Series:

All second place sailboats from Eliminations rounds will race in a best of 5 series (points system).

1st Place wil advance to a match race series as the official challenger

Prize payout challenger series

• 1st place = $3,000.00
  • 2nd place = $2,000.00
  • 3rd place = $1,000.00

Total Challenger round = $6,000.00

Prizes & Awards Defender round

Defender Series:

All First place sailboats from Eliminations round shall race in a best of 5 series (points system)

shall there be after 5 races a tie for points an additional race will declare the winner of their applicable series.

1st Place advances to match race series as the official defender.

Prize payout challenger series

• 1st place = $5,000.00
  • 2nd place = $3,000.00
  • 3rd place = $2,000.00

Total Challenger round = $10,000.00

Prizes & Awards Challenger Vs. Defender match Race

Challenger vs. Defender series

Best of 9 series Match Race Total Prize payout $100,000.00, title & Cup

Each race shall equal one point to the race winner.

Each race shall have a prize payout to the winner of $5,000.00 deducting from the total prize payout of $100,000.00

The overall winner of the best of 9 series shall win the balance of the $100,000.00 prize.

Example:

boat (A) wins race 1 boat (B) wins race 3

boat (A) wins race 2 boat (B) wins race 5

boat (A) wins race 4 boat (B) wins race 6

boat (B) wins race 7

boat (B) wins race 8

• Boat (A) won $15,000.00 from the total prize payout of $100,000.00
  • Boat (B) won $25,000.00 from the total prize payout of $100,000.00

Boat (B) has won the series as well in the above example, as it is now impossible for boat (A) to achieve either a tie or a victory.

Boat (B) is declared the winner of race 9 receiving an additional $5,000.00 as well wins the balance of the 100,000.00 purse. A total of $85,000.00

The total winnings for boat (B), works out to the following provided he has won 1st in his eliminations round:

· $5,000.00

· $5,000.00

Total Winnings of $95,000.00

*Note if Boat (B) eliminated his opponent early in the finals his prize winning would have then totaled $110,000.00.

What’s the entrance fee? $2,800.00 this includes your crew.

Who May enter? Open to anyone with good sailing knowledge, competitive,

And has $2,800.00 to enter.

Do I have to stay in Moncton and race all summer? NO, you and your crew only need to be here for time you race. Approximately 9 days for eliminations, if you win you will need to return again in august for the 70 finals, the finals follow immediately after the 70 finals.

I want to do this but I am unsure if I can coordinate the time off my busy schedule? This is not a problem, as groups of elimination rounds run summer long, and if you book early your placement and your 20% deposit (final payment due buy may 15th 2007)

Only one question remains: Do you have what it takes to win?

Interested parties are requested to email their interest in this event to: sail.2007@hotmail.com

Please indicate your degree of interest in participating in this event from the following scale

Scale:

1 -am interested in more information on this event but not likely to race in it.

5 - 50/50 chance I will race this event.

10 - I am so there, my boots are on and I am already halfway out the door.

Please also give your name and which country you are from.

sail.2007

Oct 17, 2006, 10:59 PM

Post #5 of 8 (11371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Sailing Open Race Regatta 2007 Proposed [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Ok, I have set up a temporary information site with the above info etc. It will eventually link to a more complete, and professional site In the new year. Its http://ca.geocities.com/sail.2007@rogers.com
hopefully you can just click on the link here, and it takes you there. I look forward to any feedback that anyone may have on the event. thanks

The Publisher

Oct 18, 2006, 5:03 PM

Post #6 of 8 (11344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Sailing Open Race Regatta 2007 Proposed [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Scuttlebutt asked the organizer a few questions: whether the prize money would solely come from anticipated entry fees or other sources, how many entries did they need for his event to occur, what got this idea started, and whether they have you done other events. Here was the reply:

The Prize money is generated through the registration fee's, also included in those fees are other related costs to hold the event. Over and above the Main prize amounts already stated, there would be other Prizes very good ones we expect, as we are currently seeking sponsors for the event. They are not currently apart of the info packet I sent of course, as they are not yet secured or completed, once all is in place they will be apart of the on-line sailing site, that will be set up for those who have expressed an interest in competing in this event.

Being a sailor, racer, competitor myself, I have sailed boats ranging from 16ft - 45ft and everything in between, (although I have not sailed the boat I intend to use for this event) as for my own boat it was built in Lunenburg NS and is called a Falcon 16 made by Macvey yachts in 1965, we boast 3 of the classics in our fleet, and race them each year, No worries these are not the boats that will be used for this event. I have experienced some pretty awesome weather in the Atlantic Ocean, and in the lake where I intend to hold the event (I am the undefeated champ on this lake, and my marina has dubbed me commodore of Lake Petitcodiac 3 years running). Each time I race in a sailing event, I think of what could be done different to make it better. Spending endless hours carefully thinking out this event, trying to foresee any problems that could arise, then thinking out solutions etc.

I asked myself, what would I like to see in a sailing event? What is the one thing that would attract me to it, and make me want to be apart of something like this?

The answer to the second question was simple Money & Prizes.

As for the first one it gets more complicated, I thought to myself, it would have to be an fair, equal playing field, before I spent my dollar on it. Meaning each boat would have to be exactly the same "One design", that it would have to based on skill of seamanship, Captain & Crew.

Being a fan of the America's cup and the history involved, the 100 Gunies cup of old schooners etc. I thought, imagine if one could race against one of these great modern day names in sailing, whom have earned their sailing history. But then faced the reality that the average everyday sailor would never get the opportunity to do so. I also believe that given the chance, sum of these average everyday sailors could and would win over the pro's. My hope here is that maybe these same pro's would have an interest in my sailing event, thinking it were easy money and register. If this happens they are first restricted to one of the series held for all pro, two of which, the best two will advance, meaning that no average sailor would meet a pro in competition until the 70 finals, at this point the competitive average guy would be a most worthy opponent. Not guaranteeing here that any Pro's will attend the event, but just-in-case a provision has been made here. What a challenge this would be, and imagine winning, ( I hope I get to the 70 finals should they show, or not show, laughing here)

I would like to hold this race every 2 - 4 years if a success.

I thought it would be interesting to allow the inaugural Competitors themselves come up with the Cup name. Still thinking on this.

I also thought that, I would have to want to know, how many boats would I have to beet to win my money back (break even point). The answer to this by the way is 9 (nine) boats, as in your elimination round 12 boats race, finish in 3rd place overall in your series of nine races against these same boats and you win your money back.

You asked, how many entries to make it happen? 120 is the goal. If less I have to take out my calculator, scratch my head, reassess, sweat, stress and make a well-informed decision.

I also thought what if I received more? The answer to this is simply again, first come 1st served on both the choosing of elimination dates (pro's restricted to one series date) as well the registration. This is the reason for knowing in advance who intends to compete, as (2) two separate dates for registering (60 on each date) will be sent in advance to them, and its on these days registrations will occur in the order they are received. Adjustments for time zones will be calculated to ensure all a fair chance.

I though if I were to go overseas and race or even on the other coast would I need to arrange for a boat or sail my own there, this would weigh heavy on my decision. The answer on this is no the boats will be supplied. As well as a training day for you to become familiar with it and your chosen crew.

To answer your next Question: have I done other events? yes not on this scale though, and for the most part a participant. But I have a great desire, want, positive attitude, and more help each day, not to mention 3 cities around me.

I hope that I answered your questions, if you have more email me anytime at either email address.

MJ Daggett

sail.2007

Oct 19, 2006, 12:13 AM

Post #7 of 8 (11333 views)
Shortcut

After thinking tonight on a email I recieved, I am thinking that it mabee difficult to understand If a person was reading it the first time, so here is the break down more basic, keep in mind only one eliminations round or series of races per entrant:
  • series 1 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00
  • series 2 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00
  • series3 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00
  • series 4 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00
  • series 5 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00 reserved for Pro series
  • series 6 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00 reserved for Corporate challenges
  • series 7 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00
  • series 8 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00
  • series 9 eliminations 9 races $11,800.00
  • series 10 eliminations 9 races$11,800.00
  • series challenger 5 races $6,000.00
  • series Defender 5 races $10,000.00
  • series challenger Vs. Defender 9 races $100,000.00
  • total: $234,000.00

sail.2007

Oct 24, 2006, 10:18 AM

Post #8 of 8 (11272 views)
Shortcut

We are proud to announce we have our boat sponsor for the Event
On October 23rd 2006 we have secured committment of sponsorship. We are quite Excited about the "Ultimate 20" as it was Our first choice of selection. You can read more on this boat at thier website

http://www.ultimatesailboats.com/u20.html

Viewing the Forums: ryanbabraham and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules