Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Club 420 with J/24 spinnaker
Team McLube

The Publisher

Sep 5, 2006, 3:33 PM

Post #1 of 12 (23543 views)
Shortcut
Club 420 with J/24 spinnaker Log-In to Post/Reply

These photos from Nate Rosenberg show the masthead chute that he rigged on his Club 420. Said Nate, "I made it from a J/24 spinnaker that I modified and then I also made an extendable bowsprit out of Laser spars to hold it. I think its pretty cool, and so does everyone else I show, so I figured maybe you guys could put it on here."

Yep... pretty cool.

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

mvs

Sep 6, 2006, 2:00 AM

Post #2 of 12 (23380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Club 420 with J/24 spinnaker [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Your 420 looks reminiscent of a Bob Miller/ Ben Lexcen 1960's 18' skiff (Taipan/Venom). Nice work, Its always fun to sail over rigged.

JTReiley

Sep 6, 2006, 5:35 AM

Post #3 of 12 (23319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Club 420 with J/24 spinnaker [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Nate- Nice work. Great Pictures. Perhaps this will help get the Club 420 closer to the International 420 which would plane upwind. Would you have any interest in trying a bigger mast (think Laser Radial going "up" to a full rig) to make the boat more fun?

The kids at Pleon Yacht Club have been rigging 420s, Lasers with all kinds of oversize sails for years on one or two days a season since at leat 1969, but we always have problems getting the spin poles to be an appropriate size and leads to the right position. Would you add a couple of picture of how you attached the sprit and sheet blocks? thanks

mvs

Sep 6, 2006, 6:17 AM

Post #4 of 12 (23288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JTReiley] Club 420 with J/24 spinnaker [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

One way of attaching the pole to the spar, would be to use a "snotter".
a snotter is a short strop(just longer than the cicumference of the mast) with a eye splice(one smaller than the other) at either end. You wrap the strop around the mast and feed the small eye through the large eye. you clip the pole end to the small eye and under load the snotter wiil stay put.
To keep the pole down, you could attach a loop to the stem and feed the pole through on the hoist. The kite appear to be sheeted off the stern quarters. Bear in mind, without whisker wires the pole will bend off to leeward under pressure. Nate's boat is over rigged and flying in little breeze, I don't know how well the setup would work in 15 knots plus.

oddballvi

Sep 6, 2006, 5:28 PM

Post #5 of 12 (23097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mvs] Club 420 with J/24 spinnaker [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I used lines with purchase systems that went from the middle of the pole to the turnbuckles, which I strapped on as hard as I could, to keep the pole from moving. I took it out the other day in 15kts plus, and although at times we were a bit overpowered, by heading low and playing the main a lot, we were able to plane continuously downwind on a very broad reach. I also thought the pole might bend, but even when we were almost flipping, it seemed to not budge. And your snotter thing sounds about right, I basically tied to pole onto the mast as hard as I could with some rope.
I would send pics of how I attached all the parts of the pole and how it works, but I am at school in boston. To attach the blocks to the stern I had to drill holes in the rail, but that was the largest modification the boat required. from there I ran a line to the original spinnaker blocks, so as to keep the sheet out of the skippers way. I rigged an uphaul, downhaul, and outhaul for the pole, and had cleats on the fiberglass part that holds the mast in the middle of the boat (the partners?).
My next step is actually finding a properly shaped sail. This sail is still symmetrical, and although it is fast, if it were properly shaped I am sure it would be all that much faster. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a similarly sized kite from another boat that could be a replacement?

mvs

Sep 7, 2006, 12:57 AM

Post #6 of 12 (22797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oddballvi] Club 420 with J/24 spinnaker [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

What about a 29er kite? They fly theirs from above the hounds, you'll be flying yours from the masthead. It might fit. The laser mast sections are quite stiff.
You're quite right about bearing off in a gust, it keeps you in the gust for longer and planing, which eases the load on everything. Bear up in lull's, to keep moving to the next gust.
I am sailing historic 18's and we use snotters to attach the pole to the mast. The boats are wooden so it's very easy to make modifications.

oddballvi

Sep 7, 2006, 4:27 PM

Post #7 of 12 (22183 views)
Shortcut

I don't think the hoist would be the right height, but when the 29er xx comes out I bet one of those would work.

mvs

Sep 8, 2006, 1:08 AM

Post #8 of 12 (22130 views)
Shortcut

Why not get a 29erXX?

oddballvi

Sep 8, 2006, 2:59 PM

Post #9 of 12 (22084 views)
Shortcut

Well i very well may, but if I do I will have a chute and try it on my 420. kill 2 birds with one stone

mvs

Sep 8, 2006, 3:28 PM

Post #10 of 12 (22079 views)
Shortcut

Ask your local sailmaker to recut your J24 kite, They might be able to get a better shape.

mvs

Sep 8, 2006, 4:02 PM

Post #11 of 12 (22074 views)
Shortcut

Thought I'd post this image of an old 18' skiff blasting. If you have a close look you'll see the extension on the mainsail leech. This is called a ringtail. It obviously gives you more sail area, but also balances the rig downhill. Please click on the attachment below to see image, I am browsing with Safari and cannot add image to post

Attachments: Aberdare original 1930's.jpg (31.3 KB)

barnhole9154

Dec 13, 2006, 8:40 PM

Post #12 of 12 (21531 views)
Shortcut

That's sick Nate, your probably planing in like 8 knots

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules