Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Foiling Aussie 18
Team McLube

Doug Lord

Sep 3, 2006, 9:32 PM

Post #1 of 20 (47514 views)
Shortcut
Foiling Aussie 18 Log-In to Post/Reply

Check out the video on this site. This is a joint project between John Ilett (john@fastacraft.com) and some guys in Switzerland. This is the largest sailboat to foil on just two foils - in history!

Edit:For those that don't know: John is THE pioneer developer of the foiler Moth-the first sailboat in history to foil on just two foils....
http://www.jeanpierreziegert.ch/06_video.html

tailer

Sep 5, 2006, 2:59 PM

Post #2 of 20 (47470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Doug Lord] Foiling Aussie 18 [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

WOW! that looks soooo cool! (unfortunately the vid isn't coming up, but just the pics are unbelievable!)

mvs

Sep 6, 2006, 2:22 AM

Post #3 of 20 (47463 views)
Shortcut

Michael Carter (Sydney Flying Squadron) has attached folis to the wings of his 18' skiff. Its still a work in progress though he has had some mad rides.It has to blow a bit to get Carter's skiff hurtling and to overcome the inherent drag of the larger foils.
I must sail that the Tfoils appear to be the way forward as the system entails simplicity and low drag.

Tornado_ALIVE

Sep 6, 2006, 4:11 AM

Post #4 of 20 (47458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mvs] Foiling Aussie 18 [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Tornado_ALIVE

Sep 6, 2006, 4:18 AM

Post #5 of 20 (47457 views)
Shortcut

May be 3 T foils are the go...... Think of the leverage

Or may be 1 foil

Doug Lord

Sep 6, 2006, 5:01 AM

Post #6 of 20 (47454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tornado_ALIVE] Foiling Aussie 18 [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In the Moth class the surface piercing foils as shown on the pix from Tornado Alive were almost as fast or a bit faster than an older version of the bi-foil arrangement off the wind. But thanks to the technique developed by Rohan Veal of sailing heeled to windward the t-foil is far superior upwind- out pointing and out footing most boats the Moth goes up against including the 49er and A class cats in conditions above 10 knots! (See http://www.rohanveal.com, http://www.foiler1.com/foiler_moth.html and the Aussie A class site)

mvs

Sep 6, 2006, 6:00 AM

Post #7 of 20 (47448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tornado_ALIVE] Foiling Aussie 18 [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Thanks for supplying the snap of Michael Carter. I think if you had an experienced 18' crew on the tfoiler 18 they would have produced a better showing. The guys on the swiss skiff appear to be too far aft and not huddled up together to maintain good balance.

Doug Lord

Sep 6, 2006, 8:25 AM

Post #8 of 20 (47437 views)
Shortcut

The owner of the 18 also owns a foiler Moth but has very little experience on it. This video was the very FIRST time this boat was sailed on foils and two out of three of the guys had no foiling experience.
John Ilett thinks that they should have moved the rudder gantry further aft to improve pitch stability; they decided to give at go like you see it. John thinks that if they shorten the wand a bit and get some practice that they'll do a whole lot better. For the first time on the first bi-foil monofoiler in history to sail with three people the performance is nothing short of outstanding.

mvs

Sep 6, 2006, 2:33 PM

Post #9 of 20 (47430 views)
Shortcut

The guys have done a great job first time up. Sailing skiffs is all about sailing on the edge. Imagine if they had Rohan Veal and Simon Payne on board. The Tfoils are definitely the future, if class rules allow, all the Sydney 18's wiil have them fitted next season(07-08).

jpz

Sep 7, 2006, 11:37 AM

Post #10 of 20 (47410 views)
Shortcut

Hi guys. Happy to be there.
It is done : 6 kts of wind and took off with genaker up and good speed : 14.7 kts
You've got to get informed on my website
http://www.jeanpierreziegert.ch

mvs

Sep 7, 2006, 12:32 PM

Post #11 of 20 (47403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jpz] Foiling Aussie 18 [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Salut Jean-Pierre, I can't wait to see what speeds you hit in more breeze!
When you are fully rigged and ready to go(and in the water), do you capsize the skiff to put the centreboard in?

jpz

Sep 8, 2006, 12:20 AM

Post #12 of 20 (47391 views)
Shortcut

have a look on my website, the video of the towing (without mast) will show you how it works.
1 put from under the center board
2 push it up
3 bing the boat down
4 put the boat in the watter
5 go sailing
6 have good fun....
once in watter do not need to capsize the boat.
As you know you will capsize if you are making big mistake during sailing (of course)
chears.

mvs

Sep 8, 2006, 1:06 AM

Post #13 of 20 (47389 views)
Shortcut

Your centreboard is obviously longer than a standard, I was wondering how you avoided the boom.I've seen the video, looked like fun getting towed.
I can't wait to see footage of you guys under kite in 20 plus knots.

jpz

Sep 8, 2006, 10:59 AM

Post #14 of 20 (47377 views)
Shortcut

you got to see this....

yeah......

http://www.jeanpierreziegert.ch/05_photo.html

mvs

Sep 8, 2006, 3:12 PM

Post #15 of 20 (47370 views)
Shortcut

Great photo,It looks bloody brilliant. You guys are certainly tearing up the learning curve! You may have turned the 18' s back into a development class again. They were getting all worked up about the square top mains and vortexes etc etc, but I think you guys are really leading the charge.
Everyone in the 18's are going to have to look long and hard at what you are doing and act accordingly. I think it may have the knock on effect of attracting spectatators. I've seen the foiler moths on Sydney Harbour many times and it still takes your breath away when they get up and zip along. No wake and little resistance, they look like dragonflies darting about. I've noticed you've increased the wing width, They were at one point 30' wide. When I sailed them they were 18' wide, then they dropped to the current 14'.

jpz

Sep 15, 2006, 4:35 AM

Post #16 of 20 (47335 views)
Shortcut

got to see the new video of the flying with light, sorry very light wind conditions. I'll let your guys talk about the speed and any kind of instability....

http://www.jeanpierreziegert.ch/06_video.html

mvs

Sep 15, 2006, 9:40 PM

Post #17 of 20 (47326 views)
Shortcut

Your kite looks very flat, it has hardly any luff round. What the reasoning?
The video is great and it's amazing how quickly the boat jumps up on the foils. Is it easier to sail two handed? Look forward to your reply!

jpz

Sep 15, 2006, 11:23 PM

Post #18 of 20 (47324 views)
Shortcut

Hello, until now unfortunatly, I've not the time to sail with them. But every year we sail the race called "the double". so we're used to sail only two.
I did talk to Thomas (the owner of the boat) and they said it is realy easy and his not planing to sail without the foils anymore.
Yesterday, got Jordi Calafat and Peter Evans sailing my moth. Check out my video. I did sailed the last part... wind was going away.

The genaker code 0 is desined for racing in light wind and closed reach even up wind when there is almost no wind. It is like a genoa.

http://www.jeanpierreziegert.ch

TackGybe

Sep 20, 2006, 7:22 AM

Post #19 of 20 (47256 views)
Shortcut

SOOOO FREAKIN' FINE!!!!!

GREAT JOB!!!!

You are doing something really, really special for the sport!!!!

Thank you!

atefooterz

Sep 24, 2006, 6:22 PM

Post #20 of 20 (47218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TackGybe] Foiling Aussie 18 [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Terrific project jpz !! i always thought the T foil was the simplest best route for 18ftr foiling.

twitter @8footerz

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules