Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Wing Tip Rig
Team McLube

Doug Lord

Jul 27, 2006, 6:58 PM

Post #1 of 5 (11627 views)
Shortcut
Wing Tip Rig Log-In to Post/Reply

For the guy asking about names for the modern ACC square top rigs: when this model was first produced(no longer available) 11 years ago I called this modern gaff rig a "Wing Tip Rig"....

Alun James

Jul 30, 2006, 4:58 PM

Post #2 of 5 (11558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Doug Lord] Wing Tip Rig [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Please explain to me (in words of one syllable cause I must be dumb) how this is a gaff rig.

Where are the peak and throat halyards? Where is the sheet for the jack topsail?

The Bermuda rig was a natural extension of the gaff rig and the "wing tip" sail is natural extension of the conventional sail (not the rig) it is STILL a Bermuda rig. Arguably copied from competition wind surfers.

For all that (from a distance) it looks like a gaff rig - it is not one.

Doug Lord

Jul 30, 2006, 5:10 PM

Post #3 of 5 (11557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alun James] Wing Tip Rig [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

You can clearly see the "peak" halyard and the "throat" halyard is there as well. It's as much a gaff as the old Fish class mains I grew up sailing.... Further it has the facillity to adjust the upper outhaul. I originally used this rig on a 16' hydrofoil in 1975 before there were any square topped sails on anything to the best of my knowledge. The application of the rig to an ACC model was a natural even though the model was 11 years ahead of it's time. The "gaff" allowed the use of a nominally rectangular planform w/o the upper diagonal full batten used on most modern squaretops, and permitted short battens for the rest of the sail since the "roach" was very small. Full length battens don't work too well on models so it was close to the ideal rig. In racing these boats adjusting the upper outhaul appeared to be important even though it could only be done on shore.

Alun James

Jul 30, 2006, 9:15 PM

Post #4 of 5 (11548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Doug Lord] Wing Tip Rig [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I guess I am more happy with the comparison given in your explanation.

You would equate the full batten to the gaff boom?

The throat halyard is simple as it is by proxy the main halyard acting on both "sails". Where is the peak halyard?

OR, are you suggesting that the square main is a gaff sail all by itself and that there is no topsail?

Doug Lord

Jul 31, 2006, 3:05 AM

Post #5 of 5 (11545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alun James] Wing Tip Rig [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The diagonal upper batten on most square tipped rigs is NOT a gaff because it supports the sail from within the sail; the gaff on my model supports the sail from outside the sail.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules