Scuttlebutt Website SCUTTLEBUTT
SAILING NEWS
ForumIndex CLASSIFIED ADS Search Posts SEARCH

Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2?
Team McLube

The Publisher

Jan 19, 2006, 12:06 PM

Post #1 of 22 (141526 views)
Shortcut
Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? Log-In to Post/Reply

Following the finish of Leg 2 of the Volvo Ocean Race in Melbourne, Australia, there is scheduled an In-port race on February 4. Given the number of breakdowns within the VOR fleet during Leg 2 (and the previous problems during Leg 1), we wondered if it made any sense to abandon this buoy race, and use that extra time to insure that the fleet is fully prepared for Leg 3.

Good arguments on either side of this, so we polled the 'buttheads from Jan 19-23 on what they thought:

Should the VOR abandon the In-port race after the finish of Leg 2 to provide more time for repairs to the fleet?

Final Results:

Yes - 41.30%
No - 58.70%

Add your comments below.

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

Swuzzlebubble

Jan 19, 2006, 2:42 PM

Post #2 of 22 (141504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Should VOR abondon In-port race? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Would unfairly disadvantage those who have their boats ready to race.
Including those who have made decisions to retire or continue during this leg based on the schedule in Melbourne.

And the local government and sponsors would be badly burnt.

Now that Leyton Hewitt is out of the tennis the Volvo racing might even get into the local press too.

Up to individual entrants if they can get out there.

Looking forward to getting out there myself for a look.Cool

jdm

Jan 19, 2006, 6:51 PM

Post #3 of 22 (141479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swuzzlebubble] Should VOR abondon In-port race? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Maybe I am being weak of mind, but then the Farr boys have excelled there, but why not give everybody another two weeks to get their boat fixed. And I mean so they might have a chance of getting to SAmerica.

John Tormey

Jan 19, 2006, 8:54 PM

Post #4 of 22 (141447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Should VOR abondon In-port race? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Hell yes they should cut out the buoy race. Nobody cares about this race except for the sponsors and the townspeople. The VOR must focus on the big picture, and that is the public is eager to see these boats race... all of them.

Enough about the ABN Amro boats being better prepared, and that this idea is to take away from their effort. It is time for all the boats to finish a leg, and if it means abandoning the buoy race to gain several extra days of prep time, then you got to do it.

HNRT

Jan 20, 2006, 6:50 AM

Post #5 of 22 (141405 views)
Shortcut

I wonder what the SI's call for? Changing the sked might not be an option at all, but it does make for chatter, however idle. I can see how the overall sked is fixed. Too much to do with sponsor events and transportation arrangements to change. Pulling the buoy race is an idea, though, I can see the ABN boats wanting to keep playing. Might offer good karma for them to support the idea, as the tables can turn soon on them too. Like the Indianapolis Colts winning all season, only to trip up near the end. It is good to lose a couple early to keep ya hungry.

JeffTo

Jan 20, 2006, 7:15 AM

Post #6 of 22 (141398 views)
Shortcut

Do not cancel.

I believe that the boats suffering multiple breakdowns should be told by the organizers: "You have not built a boat that can safely sail the next leg. Please abandon the race or ship your boat to South America."

Harsh? -- yes, but it would force the engineers to sharpen their pencils a little more next time. The only way to find the edge is to step over it a little, but once you've found it don't jump!

Jeff Tompkins
An old E-scow'er from the midwest

martin

Jan 20, 2006, 8:31 AM

Post #7 of 22 (141377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Might as well let 'em. Those that can't, won't join in and the boats in one piece can use all the publicity they can get.

Deleted
rjlewy@cox.net

Jan 20, 2006, 9:12 AM

Post #8 of 22 (141373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Since the in-port racing is part of the advertising promise made to sponsors, let the boats that are fit to race, race.

Deleted

Jan 21, 2006, 3:53 AM

Post #9 of 22 (141333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guest] Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Hell yes they should abandon it.

And bring down the Volvo Extreme 40s to show em how it's done

Deleted
mwsole@hotmail.com

Jan 22, 2006, 1:13 PM

Post #10 of 22 (141254 views)
Shortcut

The inshore race should go ahead as planned. It would be unfair for the teams that have been able to finish to make such a major change to the schedule. Yes it will be hard for Brasil 1 and ING Brunel (maybe less so) but the inshore races play a large part in the sponsorship successas well as the points table. Everybody knew that these amazing racing yachts will have some difficulties but a lesser class of yacht would not be in the spirit of the VOR. I'm sure all the sailors are great sportsmen and would want to face the challenge rather than be handed a get out of jail free card.
Matt Sole, Isle of Wight

Deleted
pelucca53@hotmail.com

Jan 23, 2006, 2:37 AM

Post #11 of 22 (141193 views)
Shortcut

The in-port race is part of the race program. I not see another reason for the abandon the in-port race another of the reasons that on the current sailing races.

Deleted
fhegler@carolina.rr.com

Jan 23, 2006, 6:37 AM

Post #12 of 22 (141178 views)
Shortcut

The scheduled race should be sailed. The competitors that built light and fast boats should enjoy both the ecstasy and the agony of their designs and fabrications. All should not be made to suffer or miss the opportunity of the race.

Deleted
jhb@figmentgroup.co.uk

Jan 23, 2006, 7:54 AM

Post #13 of 22 (141171 views)
Shortcut

Definitely Not. The boats capable of participating should. Those unable, tough luck.

John Harwood-Bee

In Reply To

Deleted
williamharrison@earthlink.net

Jan 23, 2006, 10:34 AM

Post #14 of 22 (141160 views)
Shortcut

The race shouldnot be delayed since 1) the competitors chose their boats and should have to live with the design flaws and 2) spectators and local businesses have been planning on this for some time.

The designers should be held accountable for their designs - good or bad. The teams that have not busted up their boats should be rewarded for good designs and building. The others only have themselves to blame.

Each crew will have to make the determination whether to race or not based upon boat and weather conditions. Do not penalize the spectators and local businesses for designers and builders that cut corners or tried to be too far out front. Instead, reward those that built a better baot.

Hypotenuse

Jan 24, 2006, 10:16 AM

Post #15 of 22 (140880 views)
Shortcut

Abandon in-port race? No.

Skipper's decision to participate? Yes.

Best choice of action? Make sure the flopper has a stopper before you go out on her....

SailTrim

Jan 25, 2006, 8:52 PM

Post #16 of 22 (140819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hypotenuse] Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The HUGE VOR supporter I am, can't wait for the inport race (wish I was there) and that remark about a stopper for the flopper had me in stitches!!!!

WillieT

Feb 1, 2006, 6:04 AM

Post #17 of 22 (140741 views)
Shortcut

They should have done this. Brasil1 is on a truck somewhere mid-continent, and the rest of the teams are scrambling to get ready for it. Reading the stories in 'butt, you do not get the impression that any team will be too prepared for the buoy race and presumably the next leg.

------------------

Dreaming of the BVI...

Montrose

Feb 2, 2006, 4:48 AM

Post #18 of 22 (140726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WillieT] Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Oh the irony. Listening to these teams talk about how great these boats are, but how they are new beasts and need refinement. Then they say how they are scrambling to get ready for the in-port race, particularly with remeasurement at this stop. Not really the perfect scenario,

------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Elvestrom, "If, in the course of victory you have not won the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing at all."

Surfer

Feb 4, 2006, 8:36 AM

Post #19 of 22 (140686 views)
Shortcut

The inshore buoy races a critical aspect of this great
yacht racing format.

What a great race yesterday.

Mike Sanderson and team are really putting pressure
on the entire fleet. This must be troubling to many
of the teams.

Looks like AA1 is the boat to cover...if anyone can get
even a boat length lead.

-Surfer

Swuzzlebubble

Feb 6, 2006, 4:33 PM

Post #20 of 22 (140643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Surfer] Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Highlight of the day was ABN1 scattering the spectator fleet at the finish doing 25kts!

Attachments: abnfinish.jpg (21.5 KB)

SailTrim

Feb 6, 2006, 7:23 PM

Post #21 of 22 (140633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swuzzlebubble] Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Awesome, I would give just about anything to be on one of those spectator boats watching in awe as one of those V70's goes screaming by! Anyone have an extra spot on a boat for the Annapolis In-port?? I'll pay in Mount Gay??

Montrose

Feb 10, 2006, 10:29 AM

Post #22 of 22 (140585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Montrose] Should VOR abondon In-port race after Leg 2? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The racers survived, but what if Brasil had dropped their rig? I'd say the VOR dodged a big bullet, and are lucky that the next leg has a pit-stop in Wllington.

Fair assessment that this next leg will determine whether the VOR can turn it around. More boat drama and you can officially stick a fork in this version.

------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Elvestrom, "If, in the course of victory you have not won the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing at all."

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules