Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Boat Building, Why not Mexico?
Team McLube

JP

Jan 17, 2006, 5:12 PM

Post #1 of 8 (13332 views)
Shortcut
Boat Building, Why not Mexico? Log-In to Post/Reply

Why are builders turning to eastern Europe and China? Why not Mexico? Anybody have any insight?

Simon

Jan 18, 2006, 4:34 AM

Post #2 of 8 (13317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JP] Boat Building, Why not Mexico? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

china is easy ... the workers want to get ahead and therefore work hard ...

JP

Jan 18, 2006, 5:46 PM

Post #3 of 8 (13290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Simon] Boat Building, Why not Mexico? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Fair assessment however, every Mexican I have worked with and met also desires to get ahead and they are, very hard workers. The point I'm trying to make is... build a boat in Mexico, reasonable labor cost, probably no duty, design not limited by container dimensions and project management might (might) be easier considering location.

Concerning the A 30, I admire the boat and the direction the class is taking. Had I seen the A30 presentation 3 months earlier, I'd be riding the builder like a rented mule for a copy.

Beyond that, deliver any good boat at a fair price, a class association with integrity, and the boat will sell. Make it a price point and that is what you have, a boat and a class based on price. It sounds rather disposable.

Steve Gregory

Jan 19, 2006, 8:49 PM

Post #4 of 8 (13261 views)
Shortcut

Agreed. There are plenty doing it, but it seems like a lot of hurdles, given the vast differences in cultures. Maybe if you are based in Asia or Australasia you would consider going to China, but if I was based in America, no way.

dougbullock

Jan 20, 2006, 6:57 AM

Post #5 of 8 (13252 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Fair assessment however, every Mexican I have worked with and met also desires to get ahead and they are, very hard workers. The point I'm trying to make is... build a boat in Mexico, reasonable labor cost, probably no duty, design not limited by container dimensions and project management might (might) be easier considering location.

Concerning the A 30, I admire the boat and the direction the class is taking. Had I seen the A30 presentation 3 months earlier, I'd be riding the builder like a rented mule for a copy.

Beyond that, deliver any good boat at a fair price, a class association with integrity, and the boat will sell. Make it a price point and that is what you have, a boat and a class based on price. It sounds rather disposable.

We actually briefly looked at Mexico and very seriously looked at China for the A30. We ended up having issues with both countries.....There were "administration fees" and other issues. Bulgaria is an amazing place with a government that really encourages business and an extremely well educated and motivated workforce. The tax situation is spectacular in Bulgaria and they are very stable looking to become a full member of the EU. One of the big pluses is the fact some of the world's leading composite companies are very close. That is a great bonus as your materials supply chain is a truck ride away instead of shipping halfway around the world on container ships.

JP....we would welcome any questions or comments on the boat anyone has. Also stay tuned guys there are some huge upgrades being announced shortly....They will be a home run! And yes NO increase in price. The buzz is incredibly powerfull in the industry and we thank everyone for there great response to the boat!

JP

Jan 24, 2006, 6:22 PM

Post #6 of 8 (13201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dougbullock] Boat Building, Why not Mexico? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Interesting regarding the admin. fees. I'm sure quality is without question and thanks for the enlightenment with respect to suppliers. It appears your project is managed well and you did your homework when you set criteria for design.

Montrose

Feb 2, 2006, 4:57 AM

Post #7 of 8 (13129 views)
Shortcut

A buddy says the best mexican drive-thru eateries are the ones that screw up your order. Not really a ringing endorsement. Boat building is in millimeters, and the folks in this country seem to only go down to centimeters.

------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Elvestrom, "If, in the course of victory you have not won the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing at all."

jack tarr

Jan 21, 2007, 10:42 AM

Post #8 of 8 (12672 views)
Shortcut

Pirateahrrrrr just an opine ...materials,mexico,s import laws,ie wood,mexicans are good people 2

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules