Mar 14, 2018, 2:56 PM
Post #1 of 1
Lead Sailing Instructors and Sailing Instructors
Experienced Sailing Instructors at Seattle Yacht Club
Log-In to Post/Reply
Seattle Yacht Club is seeking experienced Instructors for summer of 2018. The program runs from June 18 – August 31, with a mandatory Instructor Orientation on Saturday, June 16th.
The Lead Instructors will work with the Sailing Director and Sailing Programs Coordinator in organizing the program, ensuring safety in the operations, and serving as liaisons between the Instructors, students, parents, and SYC staff.
In this position, the Lead Instructors:
· Are responsible for the large class groups and daily lesson plans.
· Oversee and ensure that the Instructors assisting them in their class groups are prepared and have the resources to facilitate instruction for the advanced, intermediate, and beginning sailors of each class group.
· Take responsibility for projects within the program, including safety boat cleanliness and maintenance, sailboat storage and maintenance, and classroom resource allocation, in addition to instructing a class section.
Lead Instructor Requirements:
Typically, a Lead Instructor will be an experienced and accomplished sailor and instructor, ideally having completed or currently attending college. Must be at least Level 1 certified. Current CPR/First Aid certification or ability to obtain before summer is required.
We seek 8 – 10 weeks of availability. Work hours are 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
We are seeking instructors who:
· Are at least 18 years old
· Are capable small-boat sailors, comfortable in all wind conditions
· Have previous instructing experience
· Hold a current US Sailing Level 1 Certification
· Hold a current CPR/First Aid certification or ability to obtain before the summer.
· Are enthusiastic and have an open attitude toward developing skills as sailors and instructors
· Are available for at least 6 – 8 weeks between June 18 and August 31. Work hours are 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
Staff Composition: The weekly staff at Seattle Yacht Club will be approximately composed of the following positions: 4 – 5 Lead Instructors, 5+ Instructors, and 3 – 5 volunteer Junior Instructors. Additional supervision will be provided by the Sailing Programs Coordinator, Sailing Director, and Race Team Coach.
More about the Seattle Yacht Club Summer Sailing Program:
2018 Brochure: Click HERE.
Program Mission Statement: To teach sailing as a sport to enjoy and participate in for a lifetime in an environment promoting fun, safety, self-reliance and good sportsmanship; and to provide quality instruction in boating – related activities including physical fitness, water safety and seamanship.
Program Description: The Summer Sailing Program at Seattle Yacht Club instructs 600+ sailors each year, ranging from 7 to 18 years old, as well as adult sailors in evening classes. Instruction takes place in the Club’s fleets of Vanguard 15’s, 420’s, Lasers, and Optimists. Powerboats used to support the program range from 13’ inflatable Avons, to two 19’ Boston Whaler offshore support boats. We utilize U.S. Sailing’s Small Boat Sailor (Little Red Book) and Small Boat Racer (Little Green Book) curriculum, and the Learn Sailing Right book, and occasionally enhance this instruction with videos and video taping of our students. Each student receives a photo, T-shirt, Little Red or Green Book, and Certificate at the end of the sailing class session.
We teach students ranging from beginning sailors through coaching of advanced racing sailors. We instruct on Portage Bay near the Yacht Club’s main Clubhouse. Our instructor-to-student ratio ranges from 3:1 to 10:1. The classes are broken down into Class Groups based roughly on age of students, and within these groups the class may be broken into sections based on experience and skill assessment. We emphasize developing junior sailors for a lifetime of enjoyment and involvement in sailing. The program recently received the Prosser Award for Excellence in Sailing Instruction from the US Sailing Association.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
· Angela Frost, Sailing Programs Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Brian Ledbetter, Sailing Director: email@example.com