Mar 13, 2018, 7:56 AM
Post #1 of 1
Gundalow Company seeks Executive Director in Portsmouth, NH
Log-In to Post/Reply
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic responsibility for Gundalow Company's staff, crew, programs, fundraising, operations and execution of its mission. She or he will initially develop a deep knowledge of Gundalow Company’s core marine environmental and experiential education programs for school groups, the public, and River Rats Camp, as well as year-round operations, community collaborations, and business plan.
Leadership & Management:
• Ensure ongoing year-round programmatic excellence with program evaluation
• Update and review 2017- 2019 Strategic Plan with board, staff and crew, and recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
• Ensure all safety and operations standards for PISCATAQUA are met in compliance with the US Coast Guard
• Ensure that a long-range plan for maintaining PISCATAQUA to a high standard is always a priority
• Actively engage with and energize Gundalow Company volunteers, board members, committees, collaborating organizations, and funders
• Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio on each board committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as in other towns in the Piscataqua Region
• Lead, coach, develop, and retain Gundalow Company's high-performing staff, captain and crew
• Ensure effective systems to track progress of public sails, and regularly evaluate program components and events, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
Fundraising, Marketing & Communications:
• Expand revenue generated through public sails, corporate sponsorship, annual fund, membership and year-round fundraising events to support existing program operations and ensure that all students are able to participate in programs regardless of their ability to pay
• Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to social media to print media with the goal of creating a stronger brand
• Use external presence and relationships with local colleagues to seek new opportunities that fulfill the mission
• Maintain and expand relationships with local Chambers of Commerce, tourism partners, hotels, B&B’s, restaurants and AirBnb hosts to increase average number of passengers per trip on PISCATAQUA
• Maintain and expand relationships with regional partners, City of Portsmouth, neighboring nonprofits, community leaders in the tourism industry and Tall Ships America members
The ED will be thoroughly committed to Gundalow Company's mission. Candidates should have proven leadership, fundraising, grant writing, marketing and relationship management experience.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
• Senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and expanding a nonprofit organization with a similar or larger budget and staff; evidence of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
• Unwavering commitment to experiential/marine/environmental education programs
• Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
• Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
• Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
• Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
• Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, visionary and self-directed
About the Gundalow Company
The nonprofit Gundalow Company, based in Portsmouth, NH, was founded in 2002 with a mission to “protect the Piscataqua Region’s maritime heritage and environment through education and action.” To fulfill the mission, the gundalow PISCATAQUA was built in 2011 as a sailing classroom. The Gundalow Company now runs an award-winning program for 100 groups of 4th-12th graders annually, and approximately 320 day sails and private charters for the public May through October. A new camp, “River Rats,” began in 2017 with 130 campers. With a year-round staff of six, an additional seasonal staff/crew of ten, plus over 100 volunteers, the Gundalow Company is active year-round. It runs educational programs and events during the off-season December-April. The Gundalow Company is a financially stable, vibrant, forwardlooking organization located in a charming, historic seaport town with a dynamic community of residents and tourists.
Send resume with cover letter as a PDF file by April 15th 2018 to info at gundalow.org addressed to “Gundalow Company Executive Director Search Committee.”
Include contact information for at least three references. Salary commensurate with experience.
Anticipated starting date July 15- August 1, 2018.