Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
VOR 70's and skippers defences
Team McLube

Cal Tomlinson

Jan 13, 2006, 7:59 AM

Post #1 of 3 (6777 views)
Shortcut
VOR 70's and skippers defences Log-In to Post/Reply

Mike Sanderson's defence of the VOR 70, while interesting and authoritive, is flawed. It is written from a boat that has thus far proved to be trouble free - one of 3 out of 7. He implies that because the Open 60 class have had breakdowns and keel losses, that it is OK for VOR 70s have these problems as well.

Frankly - in either class it is not!

Let's not forget that there have been a lot of massive rescue efforts involved with both the Vendee and Around Alone as well as numerous fatalities, in some cases both crew and boat lost without trace. One can only imagine the fallout if a boat with 11 onboard is lost at sea.

The VOR 70 class has allowed designers to put their hands into the performance cookie jar with a mere nod to the fundementals of seaworthy design. It has pushed the costs of a credible campaign out of reach of most of the professional sailing world and has decimated the size and ultimately the stature of the event.

Faced with a choice of exciting racing or exciting design, I know what option I would take. Besides - we are 2/3rds into leg 2 and no-one has gone below 45 deg S.

At the other side of the world there is a very brave girl on a 72 ft boat on her own at 53 deg S in 50 knots, coming the other way. Far more noteworthy in my view.

lucas

Jan 13, 2006, 12:40 PM

Post #2 of 3 (6765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cal Tomlinson] VOR 70's and skippers defences [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
Faced with a choice of exciting racing or exciting design, I know what option I would take. Besides - we are 2/3rds into leg 2 and no-one has gone below 45 deg S.

Maybe that's just because these yachts top out in about 30 knots of windspeed, whilst those VO60 just needed 45+knots or so. As many crews have stated: without these ice-gates they'd probably haven't gone much further south. And have you seen this: http://team.abnamro.com/web/show/id=107902 looks to me as this is quite stressfull as well. This doesn't mean I don't respect what Dee Caffari is doing, just think that is more of an adventure compared to this full on racing. Incomparable in my eyes, but both as noteworthy. I just like the racing better and the fact that the VO70 is on the edge of technology.
To finish first, first one has to finish

USA8016

Jan 21, 2006, 5:10 AM

Post #3 of 3 (6697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cal Tomlinson] VOR 70's and skippers defences [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Well, I must say that the emails coming from the boats are swaying my opinion about the relative safety of these boats and the idea that the competitors know better than any one....

...then I think back on both my own experiences in various endeavors and those of friends on the first W60's event...a participant is so "invested" in a positive outcome that they are not objective. I mean, how many times have we all done stupid things and had no choice but to ignore the alternatives! Blush

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules