Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes?
Team McLube

hookinnhangon

Jan 12, 2006, 8:18 AM

Post #1 of 31 (264708 views)
Shortcut
Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes? Log-In to Post/Reply

Any reccomendations for warm weather boat shoes?

I have a pair of Salomon water pros, which are a bit clunky and not a great fit as they are more for rafting I think.

Looking for shoes that work well on a boat, in warm weather and are not so specific that I can't wear them on shore.

Fluffy

Jan 12, 2006, 9:57 AM

Post #2 of 31 (264702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookinnhangon] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Keens

Now you can shut down this thread and go out and buy a pair!

hookinnhangon

Jan 12, 2006, 10:25 AM

Post #3 of 31 (264699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fluffy] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

but they are so...er, "big toed" ;-)

sugargeorge

Jan 12, 2006, 12:17 PM

Post #4 of 31 (264686 views)
Shortcut

I've been wearing Sperry Topsiders for some 50 years now. If you choose to do so, be sure you get a pair with a thicker sole--about 1/2 inch, and not the 1/4 inch (your feet will thank you at the end of a long day on concrete). If you want a bargain, wait 'til they're on sale at West Marine or Boater's World. You can find $65 Topsiders for around $20 on clearance.

Other brands to consider: West Marine, Dexter (only source I have found for double-width shoes), and Rockport.
--Steve Greatrex
Soverel 33 R. Honey Bear
Coronado, California

J105Puff

Jan 12, 2006, 3:17 PM

Post #5 of 31 (264668 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by J105Puff [In reply to]

Mummy

Jan 12, 2006, 3:41 PM

Post #6 of 31 (264667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J105Puff] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

While the Keens are really a nice fit for me, that big rubber toebox makes the shoes SOOOO hot that I couldn't wear them and took them back to the store. If you don't mind hot feet then they are great.

Atilla The Hun

Jan 13, 2006, 5:58 AM

Post #7 of 31 (264641 views)
Shortcut

If you wanna go for a runner type option all of the below are good. A guy I sail with wears a pair of Slam Match race and he raves about them

Harken Trimmer Deck shoe
http://www.harkenstore.com/...66&409Z56LC7WCAY
Harken Speedgrip II Deck Shoe
http://www.harkenstore.com/...66&409Z56LC4VK3M
Slam Navigators
http://www.slam.it/...05&Id_Colore=250
Slam Match Race
http://www.slam.it/...05&Id_Colore=963
Slam Minstrals
http://www.slam.it/...05&Id_Colore=150

Other than that any old flips will do. I suppose you gotta decide do you wanna go for a runner option or a docksider type option. for bigger boats I would suggest that a harder sole is more benificial than a soft one that is provided by dingy boats. it does hurt when steping on ropes thrown on the deck in a soft sole.

There are many manufactures and types of docksider type shoes, the classical admirals by dubarry
http://www.dubarryboots.com/catalogue/22 but for god's sake under no circumstances buy a pair of flat shoe's. You have to have some sort of support in them. I have a pair of Seabago dock sides for casual wear that i have gone sailing in a few times but my feet still got a bit too hot (no socks). http://www.sebago.com/....aspx?ParentNavID=PM

hope you found this usefull
rgds,
Atilla

yar

Jan 13, 2006, 6:30 PM

Post #8 of 31 (264609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atilla The Hun] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Like sugergeorge, I wear ancient Topsiders. I feel like R.V.Winkle after seeing the Slam line realizing there's an alternative to moccasins, or Gill boots. I gotta get a pair of them Match Races'. Thank you for providing the info.
www.ratboat.org

FASTNFURIOUS

Jan 14, 2006, 1:43 AM

Post #9 of 31 (264600 views)
Shortcut

I generally wear a pair of dubarry boots, but i guess over here in Ireland the weather would be generally much cooler than most US sailing areas.

I was wondering why the VOR crews are mainly wearing the old style wellington sailing boots instead of the the relatively new style dubarry goretex boots? I am planning a number of offshores this year and am wondering should i get a pair of old style wellington sailing boots?

The dubarrys are great and warm when they are waterproof of course but once they wear down and lose their waterproofness they are useless although they still look ok from the outside. I would say they have a life of about 5-6 years, obviously depending on their use.

FnF

Atilla The Hun

Jan 14, 2006, 2:50 AM

Post #10 of 31 (264595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FASTNFURIOUS] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
I was wondering why the VOR crews are mainly wearing the old style wellington sailing boots instead of the the relatively new style dubarry goretex boots?

its because they are neophrene lined. they provide simular comfort to the dubarry boats but since they are not gortex they wont grow a leak. important when on deck in a VO70 being sprayed by the fire hose. and when they do get wet inside its nice and warm like a wet suit.

I dont think you'll need a pair of these. they really come into their own in tough conditions, they are a bit overkill. these are not genearlly the boat of choice in ireland as you pointed out, but I would suggest that the DB's only have a life time of 2years at most before they start leaking. i would alway recommend going the extra mile to get a pair of dubarry Seaquest as on: http://pineapplesails.com/dubarry/boots/3802sequest2.htm

As for the old style wellies you only need these in storm like conditions like on the VO70. the crew of skandia also prefer the welly style as you can see when they abandon ship as seen on http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/photos/04/sh1228/

in addittion with the newer style DBs since they are cloth lined they are very hard to get out of when wet. the cloth seperates from the boot when you are pulling your foot out. I have seen somobody have to cut a DB boot off because of this, mind the pair in question had several years of service completed.

Personally I think that a good solution is to have a pair of simple nylon tube gaiter as seen in the aformentioned skandia picture with your pair of DB shamrocks. mind i cant seem to find anywhere to buy them in shop other than mountainering style ones.
rgds,
attila

mark washeim

Jan 14, 2006, 3:45 AM

Post #11 of 31 (264594 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Keens

Now you can shut down this thread and go out and buy a pair!

WORD

Atilla The Hun

Jan 15, 2006, 11:23 AM

Post #12 of 31 (264563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mark washeim] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Grumpy SOD!

lavoile

Jan 18, 2006, 3:35 PM

Post #13 of 31 (264509 views)
Shortcut

i think sailing anarchy has about 20 really informative posts on this topic already....

Atilla The Hun

Jan 19, 2006, 1:32 AM

Post #14 of 31 (264492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lavoile] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

well I'am not a user of anarchy... but you did tempt me to have a look and the only thread i could find was about dinghy boots... http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25832&hl=shoe
you think you could point some of those 'really imformative threads' to kill this thread properly....
rgds,
Atilla

Fluffy

Jan 19, 2006, 9:52 AM

Post #15 of 31 (264470 views)
Shortcut

The threads are there, but unfortunetly I'm not allowed to post links to Sailing Anarchy.

The last time I posted a link it was deleted and I was informed that links to Sailing Anarchy are not allowed on this forum.

Note: Sadly, SA chooses to bash Scuttlebutt at every opportunity. Not the makings for a great relationship, so we would rather not have the Scuttlebutt Forums provide links to their site. Enough said. - Scuttlebutt

Steve Gregory

Jan 19, 2006, 8:45 PM

Post #16 of 31 (264427 views)
Shortcut

Makes sense to me. Now... back to the hoofs. How's bare feet sound?

msherman

Jan 21, 2006, 5:04 AM

Post #17 of 31 (264402 views)
Shortcut

What about Helly Hansen Hydro Power?

Andy_334

Jan 21, 2006, 2:34 PM

Post #18 of 31 (264392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msherman] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Sperry Figawi Boat shoes for warm weather, and Sperry Figawi Foul Weather Boots the rest of the time!

They come up small, to buy a half size larger than you think.

Jimmykey

Feb 27, 2006, 9:25 AM

Post #19 of 31 (264236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy_334] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Sailing in the Great Lakes, on a SC70 were weight is an issue, most of the crew have go the way of water proof socks. I have two sets, one regular and one tall set of SealSkinz socks. I have fast drying Technica shoes. Weight of boots X 12 crew members is something to consider. Also if you do happen to go over, it tuff to swim with boots on.

Bird Man

Feb 28, 2006, 10:52 PM

Post #20 of 31 (264198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jimmykey] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Coming from a dingy sailing background im a huge fan of chuck taylor high tops. I love them in any weather, any temperature and on any size boat. Plus, you cannot beat the price, $30, and if you pay more, keep looking.

Monty

Mar 1, 2006, 12:16 PM

Post #21 of 31 (264176 views)
Shortcut

All of you, go on, you must work for the shoemakers. None of you have have any real experience in course racing or summertime dinghy sailing. Why am I the first to answer with the obvious? Did I miss something?

The best shoe among serious crew for summertime around-the-buoys racing is the Converse All Star Chuck Taylor high top. White is my favorite, becasue I'm a traditionalist. Many foredecks prefer the gothic black canvas shoe, for reasons that are only dimly understood. Silly people insist on mixing red and green pairs, but this doubles the cost of footwear, or they get confused half the time.

Why a canvas high top sneaker? It won't bust the budget and it's got sole that can't be beat for gripping, espeically on modern sailboat decks. A Sperry may look better at the club, but that waffled sole is only good for teak decks. How dated is that? Go ahead, keep on wearing Sperry's, and try to do a task quickly. You'll break your neck, compared to the Taylor's.

And if you won't be seen at the club without a coutured shoe and a coordinated outfit, you can put your Solomons on before walking down the dock. But the Chuck Taylors work better for performing tasks on the boat. And in the summertime, they're almost as much fun as going barefoot, a lot safer on the toes, and have all the grip you need.

Cheers!

dacapo

Mar 2, 2006, 11:30 AM

Post #22 of 31 (264145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Monty] Best Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

monty...I can't disagree with you concerning the price, and the "Coolness" fo Con all-stars. but have you tried to wear Chuck T's over the course of a multiple day race?? There is NO support. Especially on the tops of the feet.
Everyone has their own favorites. Sperry, Dubarry, et. all are real good shoes (Some look better than others, some cost almost as much as a new piece of electronics) From my experiences, it's either flip flops for general farting around the boat or a pair of Merril Watersport Ultras. They are lightweight, mesh sides, not to "clunky" dry fast, super traction and not very expensive.

Peace, (17 days til spring)

Mike C.

BowTek

Mar 3, 2006, 6:33 AM

Post #23 of 31 (264122 views)
Shortcut

I am an admitted gearwhore and Bowman....bad combo.....I am a freak about shoes... sail in San Francisco and Florida and have tried just about every shoe out there. The hands down best shoe I have found are the Sperry SB870 made for Sperry by New Balance...GREAT wet traction and support, come in various widths, cool in the FL heat and nice and warm in SF with Sealskins socks. I have tried most of the others and keep going back to this shoe.

BTW the guy who recommended bare feet has to be an emergency room physician trying to come up with a way to pay for his new carbon fiber spinnaker pole.

eericm

Mar 3, 2006, 8:45 AM

Post #24 of 31 (264113 views)
Shortcut

I haven't got a recommendation since, for 20 of the last 37 years of sailing, I've worn the cheapest canvass boat shoes I can find. I was wondering though if any of you have been dissappointed by the use of hollow waffle soles that crush down after a while and create a lumpy surface to stand on. I have come across several brands that have gone this route and I find it very irritating. Foam intermediate soles accomplish the same weight (and cost) reduction while avoiding the early failure & discomfort. As far as sipping, waffles, converse stlye treads, etc. I find all work and fail depending on the circumstances but never wear a foam (e.g., hush puppy) type outer sole which will grip like glue on dry decks and turn to ice on damp decks. And, of course leather or any smooth sole will not work in wet. For Racing get lace ups, for dress get leather, and storms get boots just don't go bare foot if your sailing short handed since that's the one time you'll probably break a toe. I hadn't kicked a deck fitting in years and nailed one hard just last week out single-handing. Boy, was I glad I had shoes on! If you have a pair of hollow soled shoes that have crushed down and turned into a lumpy mess inside give that vendor a piece of your mind!!! One of the most popular boat shoe brands have really ticked me off going cheap, especially when I think of the list prices for their products!

PillySutty

Mar 10, 2006, 6:01 AM

Post #25 of 31 (263957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookinnhangon] Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I can't believe I'm doing this- threads such as this one go down as truly lame....but yet so alluring.

Teva Helm :these shoes truly rule- great traction, super fast to dry, no stinky after one season.

I feel dirty

jglynn1.2

Mar 10, 2006, 3:51 PM

Post #26 of 31 (263912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PillySutty] Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Chuck Taylors all the way, on really long races your feet feel like they've been hammered by bricks, but the grip is unbeatable and they have cool drain holes. I break out my red white and blue ones for Memorial day and July 4th races. I prefer the high tops as they offer a little more support and look better on my size 15 feet, oh yeah I can't find much else that fits. For winter sailing I use Giant Nokia fishing boots so I look like Herman Munster.

trough

Mar 21, 2006, 6:48 AM

Post #27 of 31 (263795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jglynn1.2] Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

can't support the Chuck Taylor vote, much as I'd like to...the combo of Chuck's, salt water and my feet make one heck of a smell after a few days...

There are so many new designs coming out. The Salomon and Keen folks lead in the "cutaway" styles last year and everyone is copying them (for the good) this year. You can't swing a cat without hitting a new, really good design. Keep looking because all the new version 2 stuff will be better than last years.

SailTrim

Mar 21, 2006, 9:35 AM

Post #28 of 31 (263791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trough] Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Aside from my tiger striped tanned feet, my Keens kicked butt at both Key West and Miami Race week ~ enough said. However, I am looking to try out the SLAM sneaker style. My toes get a little cold. However, Keens and Smartwool socks: ROCK!

SailingProShop

Apr 7, 2006, 6:43 AM

Post #29 of 31 (263583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookinnhangon] Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Dubarry FIJIs hands down. Best grip, most comfortable and made with Pittard's leather.

http://www.sailingproshop.com/...isplay.asp?PID=17762

Mummy

Apr 7, 2006, 11:41 AM

Post #30 of 31 (263574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailingProShop] Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Sorry Mark, too heavy, too ugly, and at 55 I am not yet old enough or conservative enough to be caught dead wearing those.

SailTrim

Apr 8, 2006, 3:15 PM

Post #31 of 31 (263556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailingProShop] Best Warm Weather Boat Shoes? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

PirateUnsureMadCrazyUnimpressed to clunky sailing shoes!!!!!!!

SmileWinkCoolBlushLaughSly to lightweight quick drying SLAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM shoes!! Ha ha!

How about the best Frostbite sailing glove ~ I hate losing feeling to my fingers during spring JY15 racing: Brrrrrrr! New Topic???

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules