Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup
Team McLube

JScott

Jul 12, 2013, 5:06 AM

Post #1 of 10 (42866 views)
Shortcut
Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup Log-In to Post/Reply

David Tabor writes in Scuttlebutt #3878 :
The current state of affairs in the America's Cup just goes to prove that while everyone can screw up, the more money you have, the bigger the screw up. The Cups haven't really held any interest for me since the mid 90's, even less so now. And while I probably will try to watch some of the racing, it won't be out of interest for the Cup, but like extreme sports, I will be watching just to see if there's a wipeout. So sorry San Francisco, you got snookered.

One has to conclude that George Morris from Scotland has a point. In the same issue of Scuttlebutt, George was confident that the potential TV audience is there and concluded that " I shall be watching and Craig Leweck will be as well, so that's two already! ". To that he can add a third, David Tabor. David who hasn't had any interest in the Americas Cup since the mid 1990s is now drawn to watch it because of thrills and spills. Has San Francisco been snookered? Maybe not.

willbaillieu

Jul 12, 2013, 3:54 PM

Post #2 of 10 (42852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JScott] Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

If all this wasn't so serious it would be funny. The AC72s are undoubtedly spectacular but they are also lethal.
America's Cup is about match racing, not straight line drag racing. These boats are ridiculously fast but totally unsuited to match racing.
Even the best sailing brains in the world have been unable to get them ready to race against each other. So far, Louis Vuitton has been all sail overs. It is unprecedented.
Despite sailing alone around the course in perfect conditions, the AC72s are often on the edge of disaster. So what happens when we finally get two boats on the course at the same time, in close proximity? Nobody knows, but lethal consequences are a very real possibility.
People may watch, but for all the wrong reasons.
Let us hope that this America's Cup is not just remembered for its disastrous accidents.
The 34th America's Cup and the City of San Francisco deserves a lot better.

Will Baillieu
KA6

tanyaroy

Sep 6, 2013, 4:04 AM

Post #3 of 10 (41659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JScott] Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The interest levels have definitely dropped everywhere! It looks more like an extreme sport, than a tactical sport of match racing.

lbalandis

Sep 8, 2013, 6:29 AM

Post #4 of 10 (41542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tanyaroy] Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The America's Cup Circus appears to be more of a footrace: which team can run the fastest to get to the other side of the boat? And who can crank the fastest? It used to be about sailing. Leo Balandis

tiggertom

Sep 8, 2013, 9:18 PM

Post #5 of 10 (41484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lbalandis] Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Are you guys watching the same America's Cup final as the rest of the world? The first 4 races have given us a pre-start protest, mark 1 rounding scraps including 1 penalty and 1 near-penalty, downwind processions (but subject to boat-handling errors, which can be spectacular), and upwind tacking duals and lead changes. Race 4 had an 8 second delta - not that many IACC monohull races had that close a delta.

Granted that the regatta prior to the final was a total snoozefest. And in race 4 Oracle seems to have learnt that engaging boat on boat with Team NZL doesn't work for them so we may see more deliberate dis-engagement going forward by Oracle.

I for one am looking forward to the rest of the series. It doesn't look like it's going to be whitewash by either team.

willbaillieu

Sep 26, 2013, 2:20 PM

Post #6 of 10 (39772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tiggertom] Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

OK, I am happy to come out publicly and say I was proved wrong.
The 34th America's Cup had drama and thrills like none before it. The freakish AC72s wee sailed by the bravest and most skilful crews that have ever been assembled. They sailed on the red line for most of the races.
We saw the greatest comeback in the history of sport.
The City of San Francisco was beautiful and welcoming.
My only grouch is the lack of some form of Nationality rule for the teams.
The American boat was sailed by Australians, New Zealanders and an Englishman, their syndicate was run by and an Australian and a New Zealander, and Kiwis made most of their parts.
The AC72s are too expensive for anyone to build and campaign, and yes, they are dangerous and unseaworthy, but the event was extraordinary.
Maybe we have seen the last of the AC72s, but I think it was the most amazing Americas Cup ever.
I am grateful for that.

John Leslie

Sep 27, 2013, 8:08 AM

Post #7 of 10 (39733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [willbaillieu] Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I was contemplating the boat design and rather like the idea that there are no limits on the boat design. Just the one issue of cost, which does appear to be high. I would have liked the Indy cars (as a comparison) to have allowed the development of Parnelli Jones' turbine powered car but the officials limited the air intake to effectively eliminate it.

So I like the open development and application of new technology. Even with monohulls, speed was the idea driving the Laser and the scows. And collisions occurred back in the 1960's and before with masts tangling as the boats went around the marks. Perhaps we could limit the cost rather than the engineering? Or limit hull length to 47 feet or limit sail area? I would like to see more countries enter.

As to the requirement of national citizenship for the country of the program, however, I suspect this would lead to fast track citizenship for whomever the team selected. I was happy to see the major networks carrying the races. With the astounding comeback by Oracle, I think that San Francisco got its money's worth.

csewing

Sep 27, 2013, 1:36 PM

Post #8 of 10 (39715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [willbaillieu] Current State of Affairs in the America's Cup [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

So, not to be a downer, but... They didn't play the National Anthem for the winners as is customary in international competitions -- probably because nobody knew the words.

Tekanawai

Sep 29, 2013, 3:42 PM

Post #9 of 10 (39581 views)
Shortcut

Current state of affairs of the Americas Cup:

I'm left wondering which version of the history of the 2013 Cup will prevail. Will it be about the historic and heroic comeback of TeamUSA against impossible odds, or will it be about TeamNZ with the better boat, arguably the better crew, a single race away from taking the Auld Mug as their prize, only to be stopped unceremoniously by a computerized automatic foiling system installed on the Team USA boat midway through the campaign and against which no crew composed of humans could prevail? TeamNZ protested it's use but of course they were overruled by the Cup committee, presumably because the committee possesses at least as much of the requisite technological understanding as Oracle of the performance envelope of such a system on the AC72.

Mal

Oct 15, 2013, 5:55 PM

Post #10 of 10 (38760 views)
Shortcut

Accusations of some magic and illegal system have been well disproved. A classic case of a potentially superior boat being fine tuned and a crew learning to sail it .... just in the nick of time. That combined with a bit of dumb luck with a time limit and a wind limit. Say what you will but OTUSA won the Cup.

Amazingly, there are still sour grapes among the old guard sailing community despite the most successful and viewed America's Cup in history. Good on ya for your later post, Will. Arguably the greatest comeback in sports history. I am sure glad I made the trip and anxiously await the next contest.

You can't beat the entertainment value of this old thread, http://forum.sailingscuttlebutt.com/DISCUSSION_C6/Dock_Talk_F5/New_era_for_34th_Americas_Cup_P10552

I'll include the most ironic quote of it all, Noel said, "Now I could get excited about a 72' Moth!" Little did any of us know.
Check Six .......Mal

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules