ForumIndex CLASSIFIED ADS Search Posts SEARCH

Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Coronado Yacht Club Announces Youth Clinic for “Next Generation”
Team McLube

The Publisher

Mar 5, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #1 of 1 (14516 views)
Shortcut
Coronado Yacht Club Announces Youth Clinic for “Next Generation” Log-In to Post/Reply

Many people in southern California recognized that many kids who applied to the prestigious CISA Advanced Youth Racing Clinic did not get accepted mostly because of space limitations at host Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in Long Beach, CA. Coronado Yacht Club Head Coach Jon Rogers took the initiative to create an alternative clinic for sailors that will attend big clinics and the US Youth Championship in the years to come.

“Every year I heard how difficult the selection decisions were for the CISA Board, so we created a clinic for those kids that they had to turn away, " said Rogers. Every year between 40-80 kids get notified that they would have to wait at least another year to get in. “The CISA Clinic changes kids’ lives, I know, I attended it a couple times 30 years ago. My coaches were Dave Perry and Peter Isler who are still mentors for me to this day.”

This year the “Coronado Clinic” (looking for a sponsor) will run 2 ½ days starting the afternoon of April 12. The plan calls for on the water evaluations, coordinated group drills and races where the emphasis is on game planning and tactics for the more experienced teams and aggressive technique and boat set up changes for those in the back. By Sunday the goal is that all teams will have some top 3 finishes in the races. Other activities planned are geared toward personal responsibility and “focused fitness” where nutrition, hydration, visualization and cross training are taught, again to help long-term performance. “Anyone can lift weights and build strength. What I call our “Bueno Sailing Program” system teaches a combination of muscle focus or performance visualization while building strength and flexibility”.

The goal Rogers says is not just an on the water boat handling clinic. It is to create both short-term and long-term improvement plans. “We want to inspire and fast-track the kids so their results will improve and they will make the Boards decision next year, non-negotiable”. In addition, he added “The challenge will be to provide guidance that nurtures their long-term improvement by instilling realistic goal setting, quality practice (with and without coaching), attention to detail and mental toughness which we all know separates the good from the great.”

In order to be inclusive, build up the clinic and bring kids together, there is a 50% discount to out of state sailors. Sailors not from California who have applied without acceptance to a clinic or recommendation from their club coach can attend and only play ½ of the $285 fee.

The Coronado Yacht Club Jr Program can be contacted at jroffice@coronadoyc.org or contact Coach Jon directly at jrogers@coronadoyc.org.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules