Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
New Rule regarding throwing overboard trash
Team McLube

Dan O'Brien

Jan 8, 2013, 8:43 PM

Post #1 of 2 (11804 views)
Shortcut
New Rule regarding throwing overboard trash Log-In to Post/Reply

Lahaina Yacht Club was always considered a free wheeling place. But in 1972 we institued the Ecology Rule. If you tossed anything into the water you were automatically disqualified. It is a matter of respecting the water you sail on. Believe me, it completely stopped the thoughtless arrogance. Why has it taken so long for the rest of the world to get the idea? I say good on the rule makers they finally have made a rule we can understand and shows those who participate are dead serious in their love of the water.
Dan O'Brien

The Publisher

Jan 10, 2013, 6:52 AM

Post #2 of 2 (11786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dan O'Brien] New Rule regarding throwing overboard trash [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

From Andrew Burton:
So I learn in Scuttlebutt 3749 that we have a new rule: RRS 55 Trash Disposal - "A competitor shall not intentionally put trash in the water."

Really? Is this what our sport has come to? How is this rule remotely connected to sailing? As a rule of good citizenship, yes, fine. But this ridiculous rule has no place in the RRS.

Don't get me wrong, I hate garbage going into the water, and I was one of the first in my area to bring multiple serving beverage containers and reusable cups on my boat (when Heineken started making mini kegs), but we don't need to address either problem in the Racing Rules of Sailing. I thought rule-makers were trying to reduce the number of rules for competitors.

What's next; an admonition to parents of Opti sailors not to provide their offspring with sugary carbonated beverages?

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules