Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70?
Team McLube

mvs

Jan 5, 2006, 7:22 PM

Post #1 of 9 (12447 views)
Shortcut
Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70? Log-In to Post/Reply

it would appear to me, that with a new technology you'd have an edge in commissioning the leading exponents. Look at the string of canting keeled Wild Oats (IX-XI) or Alfa Romeo. These boats have performed very well with no major breakdowns.

Deleted

Jan 5, 2006, 10:00 PM

Post #2 of 9 (12434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mvs] Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I bet R/P would have loved to have a VOR entry, but since they were busy designing all the canting maxis, they probably didn't miss much the headache that this race surely provides. Then there's the Farr office, that hadn't done any canters, that invested loads of VOR R&D time before getting any orders so as to lure in some of the teams, got em, and now seems to have screwed them.

Anyone else see the irony. R/P knows how to do the canters, but is not in the race. Farr was a novice, but designed most of the fleet. Am I missing something?

Deleted

Jan 6, 2006, 12:08 AM

Post #3 of 9 (12429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guest] Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

You are talking absolute crap.

Engineering issues, not design are the main thing.

Farr didn't engineer stuff like the Rams etc, in much the same way that R/P don't. In fact, R/P's engineering and detail is absolutely apalling.

And did anyone see Patches go over a 1m wave and explode her keel box?

Deleted

Jan 6, 2006, 3:27 AM

Post #4 of 9 (12425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mvs] Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

well they don't like to tke the boats offshore'cos they stuff the bows down the mine....and they've had more than few failures in systems if not majors on the mechanicals.
Also, not having to push the envelope when there is no competition....that really helps!

Doug Lord

Jan 10, 2006, 7:51 PM

Post #5 of 9 (12325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guest] Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Reichel-Pugh are the reigning experts in implementing CBTF technology and CBTF is without a doubt the fastest canting keel technology bar none. Unfortunately, the Volvo rules limit keel cant to 40 or 45 -substantially below the 50-55 ideal for CBTF.
But I'd be willing to bet that if Reichel-Pugh had designed a Volvo 70 even w/o CBTF that it would have beaten the fleet....

the_sphincter

Jan 11, 2006, 8:52 AM

Post #6 of 9 (12289 views)
Shortcut

" Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70?" because no one comissioned them to design one.

reggie

Jan 12, 2006, 10:45 AM

Post #7 of 9 (12241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [the_sphincter] Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
" Why is there not a Reichel-Pugh VO70?" because no one comissioned them to design one.

Umm, R/P doesn't seem to have much of a track record in designing to a rule...I'd say JK and BF win that argument hands down.

kbianculli

Jan 12, 2006, 11:07 AM

Post #8 of 9 (12237 views)
Shortcut

Farr is a novice!? There isn't a design office in the world with the same experience as Farr when it comes to racing around the world. R/P designs great boats for things like transpac but I haven't seen too many of them sailing across the bottom of the Indian Ocean. Also, the Farr office has done a canting keel design prior to the Volvo boats. They designed Jean-Pierre Dick's Open 60 Vibrac-Paprec which just won the Transat Jacques Vabre.

Atilla The Hun

Jan 13, 2006, 11:50 AM

Post #9 of 9 (12206 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
And did anyone see Patches go over a 1m wave and explode her keel box?

Wasn't that more to do with Green Marine?

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules