Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Did I miss something ~ VOR
Team McLube

SailTrim

Jan 5, 2006, 4:34 PM

Post #1 of 4 (9737 views)
Shortcut
Did I miss something ~ VOR Log-In to Post/Reply

Step away for half a day and come back to some serious silliness.

I just finished reading all the post/replies to the VOR and got lost with the volly between the opinions of whether or not they should continue. Well for one, not up to any of us and two; these men and women involved with this race are at the fore-front of bringing the sport, technology and nature to a higher level in an extremely ever changing environment. To stay on top, someone has to go to the edge and face fear straight in the eyes and make a choice. Is it scary and dangerous . . . of course, but if we didn't have such folks in the world we'd all be huddled on some continent still figuring out if the world was flat . . .but instead braves souls struck out and crossed the oceans and proved it was round.

Furthermore, lives can be lost in other sailing venues, why so hard on the VOR? If my last days on this earth were spent surfing the ocean waves at 30 knots . . ROCK ON! My family would sleep know I lived my life the way I chose . . . same to the men out in the Southern Ocean . . . who are we to judge them.

No intention to offend, just dissapointed in what I was hearing from my sailing community.

RC

Jan 6, 2006, 9:04 AM

Post #2 of 4 (9701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailTrim] Did I miss something ~ VOR [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Well, other than the extreme minority of radical libertarians, EVERY "sport on the edge" has a limit, from racing cars, downhill skiing, even parachute competitions...if something is considered really unsafe that was not anticipated, they change plans.

The concept of "my family, friends" etc. would want me to die doing what I loved is so assinine: "Yeah, he drown in the Southern Ocean after it was obvious the boats were unsafe...." is like saying "He didn't look where he was walking and got hit by a bus, but he was listening to his favorite song on his iPod, so we are happy he went that way...."

SailTrim

Jan 6, 2006, 4:46 PM

Post #3 of 4 (9681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RC] Did I miss something ~ VOR [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I do agree with you in terms of "limits", you are correct. However, those limits need to be discovered some how and there needs to exist crazy folks to test them.

I felt badly, you actually made me chuckle in your responce to my comment in regards to "die doing what you love, etc" . . . . I thought I was the only person who used the word "assinine". At any rate, I was intentionally going to an extreme with that remark. Basically, I do not believe that the crews/skippers of these boats are niave to what they have signed up for, nor are their family members. Furthermore, if you (that is meant to be general)are truly following this event, it comes accross that safety is first and foremost on everyone's mind. The boat handling, etc . . . the desicions, etc are all made with crew safety in mind. I have been following this event very closely and that may possibly be why I feel so comfortable where others don't.

No one wants to see people get hurt in this sport, and I think that is very clear in the VOR, even when they take it to the extreme. Finally, I agree that this event is dangerous, however, disagree in regards to blanket and say that they are "obviously unsafe".

Anways, thank you for your feedback. I may not agree, but I don't completely disagree either.

Deleted

Jan 7, 2006, 11:22 AM

Post #4 of 4 (9664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailTrim] Did I miss something ~ VOR [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Yeah, obviously they work hard at safety. But just as obviously, the intertia of the financial "machine" that is the VOR comes into play. They don't do long delays and restarts very well. But just think about a brand new fleet with such a high percentage of catastrophic breakdown being sent into the Southern Ocean. Certainly if there was no "time table" then they'd come back and reassess. There are few parallels for such actions. Again, any other sport would probably be black flagged....or at least yellow flagged. Look what happened to the tire issue in Indianapolis for F-1 this year.

, mostly under-tested (obviously) fleet

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules