Oct 23, 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #1 of 1
2012 34th Annual Manhasset Bay Y.C. Fall Series
Manhasset Bay Fall Series 2012
Log-In to Post/Reply
Manhasset Bay Yacht Club
Port Washington, NY, USA
October 13-14 & 20-21, 2012
Oct. 22 – The weather for the 34th Annual Manhasset Bay Fall Series was atypical but the competition was not. Sunny and warm conditions for all four days of racing were a bonus to the racers. Spotted on the course on Sunday were two ringers, Gumby & Pokey, with Gumby trimming the chute on Breakaway (14092). Picture attached.
IRC was topped by Steve and Heidi Benjamin’s new HPC Spookie with finishes of (3)-2-1-2-3-1-1-3-1. Sundari, Barry Gold & Scott Florio’s Farr 400 duked it out with Adam Lorry’s Soulmate in PHRFA and prevailed despite Adam’s two bullets on the final Sunday. In the J/105 one design division Kincsem took top honors with finishes of 2-1-1-2-2-5-(6)-1. In PHRF B, John Esposito’s Hustler won by a slight edge over Uno Mas, Ryan Walsh & Jon Desmond’s J29 which travelled down from New Bedford YC. The Non-Spinnaker class had six races around government marks with Chieftain, Bob Chuda, coming out on top.
The inshore fleet of Melges 24’s inside Manhasset Bay raced 15 races over the four days and always made it to the party first. Six boats from the Oakcliff Sailing Center in Oyster Bay were topped by Chris Kennedy with 30 points.
The prestigious John B. Thomson Sr. Memorial Trophy was won by Kincsem, Joerg Esdorn/Duncan Hennes, NYYC/American YC for the best performance in a One-Design or IRC class. The Ted Clark Trophy was won for the 6th year in a row by Hustler, John Esposito, Morris Yacht & Beach Club/City Island YC for best performance in PHRF. The Huguenot Trophy, dedicated by Huguenot YC, was won for the second time by American Yacht Club (Sundari, 1st PHRF A & Avra, 2nd IRC).
Results for top three:
Place, Yacht Name, Owner/Skipper, Hometown, Results, Total Points
IRC (IRC - 4 Boats)
1. Spookie, Steve & Heidi Benjamin, Seawanhaka CYC, (3)-2-1-2-3-1-1-3-1, 14 pts
2. Avra, George Petrides, American YC, 2-1-2-1-1-4-4-4-3, 18 pts
3. Georgetown III, George Marks , NSYC - 1-4-3-3-2-2-3-2-4; 20 pts
PHRF A (PHRF - 11 Boats)
1. Sundari, Barry Gold/Scott Florio, American YC, 2-4-2-1-1-(9)-2-2, 14 pts
2. Soulmates, Adam Loory, Huguenot YC, 1-2-(5)-4-4-5-1-1, 18 pts
3. Andiamo, Paul Strauch, Manhasset Bay YC, 3-1-(12/DNF)-2-2.5-7-5-7, 27.5 pts
J/105 (One Design - 9 Boats)
1. Kincsem, Joerg Esdorn/ Duncan Hennes, NYYC/AYC, 2-1-1-2-2-5-(6)-1, 14 pts
2. Eclipse, Damian Emery, Mt. Sinai SA, (4)-4-2-3-3-4-2-4, 22 pts
3. Revelation, George & Alex Wilbanks, Cedar Point YC, 1-2-5-6-1-6-5-(7), 26 pts
PHRF B (PHRF - 8 Boats)
1. Hustler, John & Tony Esposito, Morris Yacht & Beach Club, 1-(3)-2-2-1-1-2-2, 11 pts
2. Uno Mas, Ryan Walsh & Jon Desmond, New Bedford YC, 2-2-(3)-1-2-3-3-1, 14 pts
3. Dreadlocks, Jeffrey Hammer, Lloyd Harbor YC, 4-1-1-(5)-3-2-4-3, 18 pts
Non-spinnaker, PHRF (PHRF - 5 Boats)
1. Chieftain, Robert Chuda,(2)-1-2-1-2-1, 7 pts
2. The Real Macaw, Sid Kiwitt, 1-4/DNF-1-2-(5/DNC), 5/DNC, 13 pts
3. Finn, Brian Finnerty, 3-(5/DNC)-3-3-1-3, 13 pts
Melges 24 (One Design - 6 Boats)
1. Mel 771, Chris Kennedy, 3-(4)-2-3-4-1-1-3-1-2-3-1-1-2-3, 3, 17 pts
2. Mel 768, Luke Lawrence, 1-3-1-2-1-3-(7/DNF)-2-2-4-5-5-2-3-5, 40 pts
3. Mel 759, Vlad Shablinsky, 2-2-(6)-4-2-4-2-6-5-6-6-2-5-1-2, 49 pts
Manhasset Bay YC thanks all the competitors who sailed in this fall classic.
Links to photos: www.manhassetbayyc.org
For questions, please contact Sue Miller: email@example.com