Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
EIGHT BELLS - Bill Cheek
Team McLube

The Publisher

Jul 10, 2012, 1:22 PM

Post #1 of 6 (14667 views)
Shortcut
EIGHT BELLS - Bill Cheek Log-In to Post/Reply

It is with sadness that the sailing community is notified that Bill Cheek, Canada’s longest current serving International Judge (1989) and International Race Officer (1991) passed away on Friday, July 6 after a living with cancer for a number of years.

Bill was deeply involved with the development of race officials on many levels. As President of the Canadian Yachting Association (CYA) during the early eighties, through his support, the formalization of the Judges Program occurred in 1982 and the manual for the Race Management Program was finalized in 1988.

In 1988, Bill became a member of the ISAF (then IYRU) Race Management Sub-Committee. Bill taught seven Race Management Seminars during the next few years including the Louis Vuitton group in San Diego and Royal Yacht Squadron at Cowes. He was the IYRU Consultant for the Bravo Race Committee at the Korean Olympics in 1988 and participated in the 1996 Savannah Olympics.

Bill trained race committees for several Canada Summer Games as well as other organizations including the IMSC (International Military Sports Council - the second largest sports body in the world after the IOC organizing various sporting events, including the Military World Games for the armed forces of 133 member countries.)

Bill was a member of the CYA Rules Committee and the CYA Appeals Committee for many years. Appointed Emeritus status in both committees in 2003, until a few months ago he actively participated in discussions.

Bill Cheek was a Past Commodore of the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club, Hamilton ON and participated regularly in its affairs including mentoring many race officers over the years. A short time ago he wrote “I get the most pleasure running my own club’s three annual events: RHYC Open Regatta, the Easter Seals Regatta; and RHYC Turkey Regatta held on the (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend. I have been doing them for years, enjoying the company of my peers.”

Bill was respected on a national and international level and his counsel often sought.

He will be greatly missed by those who knew him; worked with him; and were mentored by him.

I was privileged to call him ‘friend’.

Leo Reise – CAN IJ
Chairman CYA Judges Sub-Committee
Chairman CYA Rules Committee

The Publisher

Jul 10, 2012, 1:30 PM

Post #2 of 6 (14637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] EIGHT BELLS - Bill Cheek [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Subject: Bill Cheek

Canada has lost a good one. Bill, thank you for all you did for sailing. Thank you for all you taught me. Smooth Sailing. David Searle

_/)
~~~~~~~~~
David Searle

Senior National Race Officer
Race Management Master Course Conductor
Club Judge

The Publisher

Jul 10, 2012, 1:32 PM

Post #3 of 6 (14629 views)
Shortcut

To: <editor@sailingscuttlebutt.com>
Subject: Bill Cheek, Hamilton ONT, I-Judge - RIP
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 22:39:42 -0400

Sad news, but what a great life he had. I first worked w/ Bill in ’98 at the Snipe Nationals on Gull Lake (MI) and many times thereafter. He was always full of great stories and sage advice. He was a great friend and mentor and always the first to call when we needed a Judge. – Eric Lind, Suttons Bay MI

ggiffin

Jul 10, 2012, 7:47 PM

Post #4 of 6 (14556 views)
Shortcut

There are few who's dedication and contribution to the sport of sailing is as great as Bill's. There are none who officiated for 3 generations of my own family.

Thank you Bill! May you rest in peace.

Gerry
Gerry Giffin
Past President
Canadian Yachting Association
Chester, Nova Scotia

Gweneth Crook

Jul 11, 2012, 8:17 AM

Post #5 of 6 (14526 views)
Shortcut

I remember Bill fondly. He worked several Snipe regattas, always the first to reply to a request for a Jury member from my Father. He was an excellent International Judge and a great person, he will be missed. My thoughts are with his family.

The Publisher

Jul 12, 2012, 9:15 AM

Post #6 of 6 (14488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gweneth Crook] EIGHT BELLS - Bill Cheek [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Subject: Eight Bells
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:33:30 -0400
To: editor@sailingscuttlebutt.com

William Cheek

Condolences
Cheek, William Anthony “Bill” Peacefully on July 6, 2012 at the Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice, Bill, in his 86th year, left us as the wind went out of his sails. Beloved husband of Helena Cheek (Koziol) for 63 years. Loving father of Christine (Lloyd) Maclam , Gerri (David) Staples and John (Rose) Cheek. Devoted grandpa to grandsons John, Andrew, Corey and Ryan, and great-grandpa to Savannah, Austin and Everly. Brother of Jennifer Cheek of Bristol, England. Throughout his 12 year struggle with cancer, he lived with optimism, determination and a positive attitude, living each day to the fullest. He had a wonderful sense of humour, made those around him feel comfortable with conversation and his stories and was especially proud of his hobby of building ships in bottles. He was Past Commodore of the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club, Past President of OSA and CYA, and an International Race Officer serving as a race officer and consultant for the Olympic Games in Korea (1988) and in Atlanta (1996). He received a great deal of pleasure running sailing events at the RHYC as well as judging at International Regattas. Bill took pride in his involvement as an officer with the Sea Cadets and the Naval Reserve at HMCS STAR. After Bill retired from Stelco, Superintendent at Canadian Drawn Steel, he spent many years serving as a CESO volunteer. Sincere appreciation and thank you to the staff of the Juravinski Cancer Centre, Ward C3 at the Juravinski Hospital, Dr. S. Hotte, Dr. P. Craigie, and the staff of the Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice for their caring and compassion. Cremation has taken place. A celebration of Bill’s life will be held at a later date. As an expression of sympathy, donations to the Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice would be appreciated by the family. Online condolences can be made at www.canadiancremation.com

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules