Wink Shameless plug for my friend.

Cool boat. 5 are to be state side in August!! and affordable

www.annapolisperformanceyachts.com

Deleted

Jan 2, 2006, 7:05 PM

Post #2 of 34 (81666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guest] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Keep me from going to the website... what's the story behind this latest entry into the crowded new boat market?

Deleted

Jan 3, 2006, 1:58 PM

Post #3 of 34 (81611 views)
Shortcut

30 foot epoxy racer cruiser. Retractable keel and rudder, lots of carbon, and a king sized aft berth. All for $70k plus shipping ($4k?), sails and electronics. New company in Annapolis, built in Bulgaria. Polars look fast.

DGreenleaf

Jan 3, 2006, 2:24 PM

Post #4 of 34 (81606 views)
Shortcut

Ugly boat.

....moving on.

Hypotenuse

Jan 3, 2006, 4:34 PM

Post #5 of 34 (81585 views)
Shortcut

You're right, that is quite the fornicatorium back there.

Pretty it ain't; purposeful is a better look, I think.

Any of that's mouse nuts compared to whether it'll sail to its rating.

Deleted

Jan 3, 2006, 5:29 PM

Post #6 of 34 (81580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hypotenuse] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I think thats a nice boat. It looks like a lot of boats we've got down here in NZ. The toilet's in a interesting place, could be fun to use while underway. But the big berth down aft looks good.

Bird Man

Jan 3, 2006, 6:13 PM

Post #7 of 34 (81568 views)
Shortcut

looks like a C&C 99 with a bow sprit, ie, another Cruiser/racer that will continue to dilute the market. If you want to cruise, get a cruising boat, and if you want to race get a racing boat, and if you want to do get a smaller cruising boat and get a small boat to race, you will enjoy your cruising time more and learn more racing in a smal boat, and probally have more fun also.

Roy

Jan 3, 2006, 7:35 PM

Post #8 of 34 (81553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bird Man] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Looks a lot like the Columbia 30. I have my doubts that it can be built and outfitted as shown and still weigh only 3,833 pounds. I also wonder if it will be able to sail upwind in a breeze with all that sail area and only 1,250 pounds of ballast on a max beam of only 8.92 feet and 5'-11" headroom (that's a tall 30 footer). There has been a lot of so-called dual purpose boats in this size range that look like good boats, but I don't see many being sold.

Deleted

Jan 5, 2006, 8:33 AM

Post #9 of 34 (81492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roy] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I am actually one of the principles in the Annapolis 30. My name is Doug Bullock. I was just cruising through here and saw the A30 thread and was like wow....didn't know anyone had posted anything on scuttlebutt.

The over all weight of the boat has actually gone down. We are currently doing another weight study because we have moved to cored laminate bulkheads.
The heel predictions are great too. We would be happy to provide them to any interested person. The polars on this boat are indicating that the A30 will be very good upwind. It was one of the fundamental requirements when we set out to design the boat as we do alot of W/L course racing here.

The head room is a huge bonus. It is alot of room for a 30 footer. We wanted as much room while not causing the boat to look "tall" on the outside. The reason for the beam is for ease of shipping. This boat will fit into a tall container. It is a boat in a box so to speak. This significantly reduces shipping cost.

I will keep an eye out for any other questions if people have them. Not trying to sell a boat on here...just thought I would answer questions for the inquiring minds.....

Deleted
info@annapolisperformanceyachts

Jan 5, 2006, 8:37 AM

Post #10 of 34 (81490 views)
Shortcut

Ohh just saw the other post....as for performance we are expecting the boat to PHRF out in the 50's.....so we are not really trying to compete with the C and C 99. I personally think the C and C is a great sailing boat. I have raced against them several times and the owners seem to love them. That is really the name of the game....having fun and enjoying your boat.

Mummy

Jan 10, 2006, 4:28 PM

Post #11 of 34 (81303 views)
Shortcut

Gonna be a long haul Doug if people can't tell the difference between a POS like the 99 and your boat. Well, they aren't who you are selling to anyway. Good luck.

jussailtheboat

Jan 10, 2006, 7:07 PM

Post #12 of 34 (81284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mummy] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Actually I inquired, and they are up to hull 8 already. I'd say after 3 weeks, at most, of being "out there" sailors must be seeing something. I also heard the March issue of Sailing World will have a ditty. 6 are order contracts, 2 are hull deposits. Delivery claims still late August. It will be interesting.

dougbullock

Jan 11, 2006, 10:48 AM

Post #13 of 34 (81237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jussailtheboat] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Justsailtheboat has good information....who are you and where do you live....I smell espionage...lol

Well about the only similarity to the 99 is the epoxy hull....we said well.... we might as well do the whole boat in epoxy...Like I said we are very performance oriented....we just wanted a comfortable place to pass out after a race or bring back a female type to. I wonder if the wives/girlfriends will complain about surfing at 14 knots while out with the family on non-race weekends?

BTW, we have just gone to cored bulkheads. There is absolutely no marine ply or balsa in this whole boat. I would rather be sailing than working on the boat and that is why we have gone with the best of everything we can find.......

mainsheeter

Feb 3, 2006, 5:51 PM

Post #14 of 34 (81088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dougbullock] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Except for the beam on the A30, there seems to be a lot of similarity with the Rodger Martin Quest 30 or 33. I guess the reduced beam is a convenience in shipping from Eastern Europe, but overall, they look a lot alike. The polars on the A30 are a lot faster than the Quest 30. I wonder if there was any design influence there??

dougbullock

Feb 3, 2006, 9:58 PM

Post #15 of 34 (81076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mainsheeter] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

No there aren't really any design influences there. The actual hull form was influenced more by a previous design of Rob Ladd's.....a boat named Beowolf..it was a very successful nationally campaigned MORC boat a few years back. Now we changed alot from that design. We made the hull more stable, obviously used newer consruction which dropped weight, lenghtened the waterline, put a big carbon rig in her, and put every go fast item we could think of on the boat. There has been some major changes to the boat that we will be announcing in the next week or so. I know they will be a home run. Stay tuned. It is going to be hard to beleave that we are for real on this price point when you hear of the upgrades for the same price, but beleave me we have made this happen.
As for performance it is my opinion that the quest and the A30 are not even in the same ball park. Some have tried to label the boat as a racer cruiser but when was the last time a 30 foot boat that was going to rate in the low 50s was labels a R/C. This is a performance boat(the upgrades will put the doubters to rest....trust me) that you can actually sleep on. Really name one other boat you can buy any where near new for the same price and have that kind of performance and still be able to sleep the crew comfortably or more importantly take your wife/SO out over night without them wanting to kill you. We are normal guys with families and friends who sail and don't sail....so a boat has to be alot of things in one to make it truly worth the finaincial commitment.....regardless of price.
Rob Ladd has been absolutely spectacular. We went at him with challenge after challenge and he stepped up and came at us with some really great solutions. We said from the begining that this boat would not be done unless it absolutely met all of our criteria and it really does. It has exceded most of them. I really think this boat will be alot of fun and meet all of our needs, that is why I am going to have the first one of the production line. I hope other think as highly of it as I do.....we really are proud of it. Feel free to contact me through our website and I will be happy to take you out for a sail when the first 5 boats get here August 01. We will all be signed up for CBYRA Race Week and we will be in the Annapolis Boat Show in Oct.

dougbullock

Feb 3, 2006, 10:06 PM

Post #16 of 34 (81075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mainsheeter] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

As for the beam. The reason for the beam was simply..... We can ship it in a tall container from Europe. It will be about 3k from Bulgaria to Baltimore instead of 14-15k on deck. Yes, that's right you can ship the boat to Europe and fly your crew over for about the same price as it would cost to ship a J105 to Key West from Annapolis. BTW we have already set up distributorship in Europe and are working on Australia, Philipines, and SE Asia. The response in Europe has been absolutely phenominal.....should be alot of fun travelling back and forth with the boat for big regattas.

Also ease of trailering......you don't need any permits......this boat is ramp launchable and will definately be travelling to all kinds of regattas...including Key West.

mainsheeter

Feb 4, 2006, 7:21 AM

Post #17 of 34 (81064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dougbullock] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Doug: Thanks for the informative update. It does in fact sound and looks like a winner. One additional comment; Will it have water ballast, or for that matter, won't she be a little tender for shorthanded offshore passages? Maybe she wasn't conceived for this and that's an explanation, but could someone do the Newport-Bermuda 1-2 with the A30 in reasonable safety?

dougbullock

Feb 4, 2006, 7:45 AM

Post #18 of 34 (81058 views)
Shortcut

Actually with some weight savings.....it is all a part of the announcement we are going to make in the next week or so....We put some more weght in the bulb. The Disp/W ratio is now like 45 or even a little more but we need to finish the weight study before I will say a number for definate.

I think the boat will be very competative short handed. It is a very simple lay out that will be a non over lapping jib very quickly in like 12-14 knots so that is good for single handling....remember the beam is a little narrow....not overly so but that makes putting 5 gorrillas on the rail not worth it. This bodes well for short handed sailing when crew problems arise too. Trust me it will make all kinds of sense when the announcement comes out.

As for Burmuda....We are doing the certs now. These changes I mention above have blindsided us and we felt we had to go for it and that has derailed our paper work schedule. The boats are still completely on schedule but paper work things like certs have been pushed back a few weeks or so. That being said I have done Bermuda....both Annapolis and Newport and if you are going on a 30 footer I will meet you in Bermuda with Dark and Stormies in hand. I like 40 plus feet under me for that type of sailing......just my preference. I have always wanted to do Ft Liquerdale to Key West and never seemd to have done it so that may be in my future plans on the A30.

Surfer

Feb 4, 2006, 8:36 PM

Post #19 of 34 (81037 views)
Shortcut

Err...

...what is it's PHRF rating?

Obviously, one design is not a possibility for a 'while'.

That said, cool 30'er.

Rating?

-Surfer

dougbullock

Feb 4, 2006, 8:51 PM

Post #20 of 34 (81034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Surfer] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Actually OD on the Ches Bay will prbably happen pretty quick. We have 5 boats that will be here Aug 01, 2006. Just takes 7 boats for our own start....

As for PHRF we are expecting mid/low 50's on Ches Bay. We are awaiting our designers IRC preliminary cert......

Surfer

Feb 4, 2006, 8:59 PM

Post #21 of 34 (81032 views)
Shortcut

Low 50's...hmm...

...one of the boats I campaign is a Sydney Harbor 38 O.D.
We rate PHRF like 37. Without any lappers, and no mast head kite,
which is symmetrical anyway, we have problems in lighter winds in PHRF stuff.
That said, once the wind gets over 8 kts have better chance to correct out good.

I assume the new 30 does not have any overlapping jibs...but does it offer a mast head A-kite?

Sorry for being lazy and not digging that up myself.

TIA.

-Surfer

dougbullock

Feb 5, 2006, 6:50 AM

Post #22 of 34 (81023 views)
Shortcut

OD we are going to race with non overlapping headsails but PHRF you are free to do as you wish. There is a draft of the OD rules and class constitution on the website. They will be ratified by the first 10 owners. I will most likely go with a 150 and a 100. The 150 will allow for better sheeting angles than a 130 and most PHRF board assume a 150 anyways. The kite is a masthead assym and the mast is a 7/8 fractional rig. Chris Mitchell, of Team New Zealand fame is the mast designer. The mast will be made out of SP systems carbon. Infact the whole boat is SP systems.

The goal with this boat was to make an inexpensive fast sailboat the you could also afford to campaign. That being said there is no restriction on sail material just how many sails you can buy per calendar year.

Surfer

Feb 5, 2006, 8:55 AM

Post #23 of 34 (81014 views)
Shortcut

Doug...

...I gota tell you based on what you've described here,
and by taking another good look at the 30 on the website,
This books looks very attractive.

30' is a good length for berthing availability. The retractable
keel improves the attractiveness an owner to drag his boat
to different racing venues, the carbon spars, the masthead A-Kite,
no lappers in O.D., and the composite hull make a compelling case.

BTW, looking at the bulb on this boat a kelp cutter would be great?
Any plans for one as an option?

Thanks...looks like a winner to me.

-Surfer

Surfer

Feb 5, 2006, 9:00 AM

Post #24 of 34 (81013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DGreenleaf] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Funny how subjective appearences are.

Judging from the renderings I thought it's a
good looking boat. But it had numerous simularities
with the Sydney 38 I sail on so I am biased.

-Surfer

dougbullock

Feb 5, 2006, 3:20 PM

Post #25 of 34 (80994 views)
Shortcut

Actually I was just talking to the builder and designer about that. One of the principles in APY is a San Fran guy who just happens to live in the right coast now. His plans are to go back. A kelp cutter will definately be an option....probably standard equipment to maintain OD integrity. OD integrity is very very important to us. We are going through massive quality control processes to insure this.

Yes it does look like the Sydney in alot of ways. It is funny how a design process moves the overall looks towards a point. The boat really looked a lot different at the beginning. I was looking at some of the original renderings the other day and laughed.

I will make sure to post the upgrades I talked about earlier when we are going to make them public. Also there will be a public presentation on the boat in Annapolis in early March....most likely the 9th at Pussers. If anyone would like to attend send me an email through our site and I will make sure to send the particulars out when they are final.

SW Sailor

Feb 8, 2006, 10:55 AM

Post #26 of 34 (80910 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Are any sold up in Long Island Sound? Cant wait to see it!!

dougbullock

Feb 9, 2006, 6:00 AM

Post #27 of 34 (80878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SW Sailor] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

None are sold in Long Island as of now but we have some people that are very interested. I think the boat will be great in LI Sound. I really think the boat will be good in those consitions. As a guy that will be racing the A30 I would love to get some boats up in LI sound. I would definately trailer the boat up to do some racing with you guys. You would also be a 4-5 hour trip for any Ches Bay events too. I am already thinking about Block Island 2007 for sure.

We will be doing a public presentation in March on the boat in the Annapolis area. It will be announced in the next few days if you would be interested in coming down to talk to us. If anyone is interested feel free to contact us. I will anounce on here to for anyone that is interested.

SailTrim

Feb 9, 2006, 6:10 AM

Post #28 of 34 (80874 views)
Shortcut

When you come up to the Sound, be sure to keep the folks at WindCheck sailing magazine in the loop. They love to do boat reviews and test sails. It is an excellent venue to get the word out across the sound ouside the 'butt and word of mouth. BIRW'07 is an excellent venue and as things progess their maybe some other New England events you may want to consider.

SW Sailor

Feb 9, 2006, 7:56 AM

Post #29 of 34 (80871 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Sounds great cant wait ! There will be a big intrest up here I an
sure keep us in formed.We will come down to Annapolis also!
Thanks

dougbullock

Feb 9, 2006, 12:01 PM

Post #30 of 34 (80862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailTrim] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

We definately will keep Windcheck in the loop. They have already contacted us and we are working to incorporate them into our marketing plans. I personally love magazine like windcheck and spinsheet. The sport really has a need for local sailing/boating publications. Also keep an eye out for us in Sailing World next issue. We will be in the Tech, tip, and industry trends section.

mainsheeter

Feb 22, 2006, 12:07 PM

Post #31 of 34 (80710 views)
Shortcut

Doug: I've been checking out the A30 web-page daily for last couple of weeks looking for the new announcements but they haven't come up yet. Any estimate when they will publish. I know the A30 will comply with Cat 1 offshore requirements but I'm really crossing my fingers that you will consider water ballast for shorthanded offshore races; such light displacement with two guys will be hard to keep down...

dougbullock

Feb 23, 2006, 3:56 PM

Post #32 of 34 (80671 views)
Shortcut

New updates on the site should be up by Friday mid -day. I will give a run down on them now. On the water ballast issue....We talked about this early on but it just is not all that beneficial in our boats design........now some of these might address some concerns....

1. The boat is all SP systems now. The hull and deck construction has changed a bit. The outer layer is still E glass/epoxy and cored with Corcell(Deck is high density foam from SP). The big difference is the inner skin is now Carbon and Epoxy. SP Systems engineers are really excited about this because they think it will be tremendously stiff and remain so for a long,long time. The interior bulkheads and furniture is now cored laminates as well using E glass/Carbon and Epoxy. All laminates are vacum bagged and heat cured.
2. West Marines PBO rigging is now standard.
3. We added a 2nd ring frame. Now on the leading edge and trailing edge of the keel box a continuous ring frame supports the keel box, shrouds, mast step/compression post, and the single point lift. Take a look at the renderings of the interior on the website to see this. Everything is tied in together....this is very strong.
4. Chris Mitchell (Team New Zealand Mast Designer, CEO of AES) has finished the mast design. The 7/8 fract rig that is over engineered to create a very strong rig. We felt that going with a 7/8 rig was important because of the big assym kite. Chris is an absolute joy to work with and we highly recomend him for anyones mast design needs.

With this construction, the boat is going to be extremely stong. It is actually over engineered. The carbon will make the boat very stiff for years. Also with the weight savings....we were able to put 400 lbs in the bulb. The D/W ratio is now about 45. With the center of effort being so low and the D/W ratio I think this boat is going to be very stiff in a breeze and actually will make a great single or double handed sailboat. All this was accomplished in the last month with no increase to price because of the great reception this boat has received on web sites like this.

I would like to invite anyone who is interested in the boat to come to our Annapolis 30 Showcase at the Annapolis Waterfront Mariott March 16, 2006 to meet the team, Rob Ladd, and a bunch of Industry Reps who are supplying equipment for the boat. There will be presentations and an informal question and answer session to learn about the boat and the equipment on it. Hope to see you all there. We ask that you give us an RSVP to our email... info@annapolisperformanceyachts.com but it is not required.

ALso check the boat out in the latest issues of Sailing World and Spinsheet. The first boats will be here in August...and we will be attending the Annapolis Boat Show in October.

GL Flake

Feb 23, 2006, 7:40 PM

Post #33 of 34 (80661 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

2. West Marines PBO rigging is now standard.

How often does this have to be replaced and what is the cost?

dougbullock

Feb 23, 2006, 11:42 PM

Post #34 of 34 (80655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GL Flake] The new boat "Annapolis 30" [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Actually no one knows is the truth on how long it will last because it is a brand new product. West Marine's PBO rigging has a 3 year warranty which is more than any rod rigging I have heard about.

This is not the old PBO most people have seen or heard about. It is completely covered and re-engineered. U/V is not an issue with it because of the covering. The weight savings is astronomical over other riggings. It is also a lot stronger than conventional rigging. Even if you end up having to replace it in 6-7 years which I don't think you will....it will be about 2k at that point......Saving this much weight aloft is a huge plus in terms of performance and the only way to go as we see it.

Come on down and talk to West Marine's Tommy Mercer at the Showcase on March 16th on the boat. He will be doing a presentation on PBO and have samples for peple to touch and look over.

I also just uploaded the PBO brochure on our website in the technology section. It is very informative......recomend anyone who is interested give it a look.....

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules