Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Orange Bowl
Team McLube

Deleted

Jan 1, 2006, 10:16 PM

Post #1 of 7 (10295 views)
Shortcut
Orange Bowl Log-In to Post/Reply

With 500 youth heading to Miami for the Orange Bowl, flying there either on christmas day, with many driving on or before christmas, you wonder whatever happened to spending the holidays with your family? How the hell did this event elevate so high while conflicting with a humungous holiday?

John Tormey

Jan 2, 2006, 6:28 AM

Post #2 of 7 (10264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guest] Orange Bowl [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

This does seem pretty f'd up. Losing family time is a trend - a bad one - and this event stokes the fire.

Deleted

Jan 2, 2006, 9:24 AM

Post #3 of 7 (10256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Tormey] Orange Bowl [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

what are you talking about? i went down there and sailed. left the 26 granted i live in fl but you didnt have to be there until the morning of the 27th. spend the whole f'ing week with the fam. i spent more time with mine than if id been at home going out with my friends every night.

Deleted

Jan 2, 2006, 10:11 AM

Post #4 of 7 (10252 views)
Shortcut

Who says all the competitors celebrate Christmas, and those that do, what’s to say that their families are still celebrating with them, just on the airplane or in a hotel, why do you have to celebrate it at home. For many this is an actual family vacation. For the majority of the sailors their families are there with them and this is no different then any other vacation. The other argument is the top competitors here are at the top of their sport and that is just a sacrifice that you have to make. Many events fall on holidays like Christmas, Easter, and thanksgiving, the high school nationals are always on mothers day. Other sports have this problem too, football especially, so don't go bashing a very well run and successful regatta.

Deleted

Jan 2, 2006, 12:59 PM

Post #5 of 7 (10246 views)
Shortcut

Not too many times during the year when the kids AND parents can get away. Since the kids are out of school, and most working adults have the option of taking time off work around the holidays, this event works. Sure, some entrants are travelling long distance, and perhaps buying plane tix from Cali for the whole clan doesn't make sense. But when was the last time that youth sports didn't somehow impact our normal lives.

This event works because of its minimal impact... plus its butt cold up in the north, and Miami weather offers us a tease of summer.

Deleted
akotoun@hotmail.com

Jan 2, 2006, 2:09 PM

Post #6 of 7 (10238 views)
Shortcut

Well lets think. Ummm hang out with grandma and have her pinch my cheeks a few more times...OR go to fla, break out the board shorts, hang out with 499 other kids, and get some great sailing in.

Half of them most likely got new sails or other a super sexy sailing gadget. Time to break it out!

barnhole9154

Dec 13, 2006, 8:55 PM

Post #7 of 7 (9963 views)
Shortcut

If you live anywhere where it gets colder than 60 degrees over the course of the year, you are stoked to get the chance to go sail dinghies in Miami, Florida. By the way, I live in CA and it ain't that bad. We open presents, eat some breakfast, say goodbye to grandparents, on a plane to Florida with my dad by 1:00 and there by 9:00 pm. Get a short day practice on the water and then a week of almost garaunteed great sailing in 70 degree water. Also, you get some of the best youth competition in the country.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules