Is your vessel Ocean Safe Certified?
Team McLube

The Publisher

May 17, 2012, 3:04 PM

Post #1 of 11 (24546 views)
Shortcut
Is your vessel Ocean Safe Certified? Log-In to Post/Reply

As sailors, the ocean is our playground, and for some, it is our office. Every day we go out on the water we make an impact on our ocean, yet so many people are unaware of that very impact. So here are some alarming stats for you:

* There is a garbage patch in the North Pacific containing enough rubbish to cover Australia 3m deep. There are 4 other garbage patches, one in every major ocean.
* The world uses 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags every year and it contributes to 100,000+ marine deaths from plastic suffocation and entanglement. Add another 1 million sea birds to that figure.
* The world drinks 200 billion liters of bottled water every year, contributing 20.5 million tonnes of greenhouse gasses to the environment and using enough oil to fill every bottle of water 25% full of oil. Only 30% of plastic water bottles are recycled around the world.

So if I said to you that the ocean produces 60-80% of the worlds oxygen and that our every day habits are slowly killing it, would it make you think twice? Yes I am saying that your habits may be risking the very air we breathe.

So how many of you use plastic water bottles on your boat. O.K so your tank water tastes funny so you decide the easiest way to provide water to your crew is in plastic water bottles. It's easy and convenient right? Let's look at the stats. First of all why does bottled water have a used by date? Water doesn't go off or our world would be in trouble. It is simply because by that date, it is expected that the plastic bottle has leeched enough toxins into the water to make it toxic to humans, and if you leave it in the sun you will have experienced that plastic taste. It is a product known as Bisphenol A (BPA). More and more studies are being released showing this substance, and other toxins from plastic, are causing all sorts of health issues including Autism, cancers and ADHD. Then you have the bottle which you recycle right? Firstly the caps are not recyclable and only 30% of bottles are sent for recycling with 60% of America's plastic going to India to be down-cycled (created into products that can't be recycled.

Whilst I can quote how many animals die from plastic bags, I can't quote how many engines die or overheat from plastic bag ingestion. The dreaded plastic bag in the inlet is annoying to say the least and whilst many say they don't throw plastic bags in the ocean, the fact that 50% come from the rubbish dump will tell you that it is a major problem. Using an alternative is so easy so when you take your provisions to your boat next, please use a reusable bag. And if you're one of those lunatics that put plastic bags on your shrouds and lifelines to keep birds off, hope that I never run into you. They don't do the job and they end up fluttering in the wind, and break free into the ocean where they can end up killing a turtle or dolphin. Trust me I've pulled out three dead turtles because of plastic bags, it's not fun. Bunting is easier and more effective and the oceans will love you for it.

At Ocean Crusaders we focus on educating people of the issues our oceans face. We run an education program for primary school students to teach them about the animals in our oceans and what issues they are facing and how they can change their every day habits to help. The response is amazing so if someone who hasn't seen most of the world can make a difference, surely us as ocean users can make a difference. It's not hard. In fact when it comes to rubbish, why is it that children under 15 contribute only 1.5% of all rubbish yet once they hit 15 they become the biggest rubbish creators. Have a look at the graph. Which age group are you in?

So here is a challenge for every one who owns a yacht. At Ocean Crusaders we have developed an Ocean Safe Certification program for yachts and boats. It is free of charge to join and it shows that you are committed to looking after our playground. It doesn't take much either. All you have to do is go to our website at www.OceanCrusaders.org/sailing and follow the links to our Ocean Safe Certified Yacht program. If you can commit to 5 of our key guidelines, then you become certified.

The guidelines include never using plastic bags to bring provisions to your boat, not buying bottled water, instead using S/S reusable bottles and filling up from larger containers, using eco friendly bottom paints, recycling, using eco friendly cleaning agents and never using plastic plates and utensils. Pick 5, fill out a form and we'll send you a sticker for your boat to show your support.

If one person couldn't make a difference then we would not exist. Every product you see around you, the computer you are currently on, the phone you use, the pen you write with, they were all one persons dream and they have made a difference. You simply changing your habits, particularly when you go down to your boat, well you could save the life of a turtle, you could save an engine being blown up from overheating and better still, you are helping our ocean live so we can breathe in the future.

For more information on all of the above, visit our website at www.OceanCrusaders.org Please also like us on facebook. www.facebook.com/OceanCrusaders

Download the lessons for your kids from our education program pages and maybe you'll learn something too. They are designed for school teachers to present to their class. If we don't have your country up there and you can help us get our program into your country, touch base with us.

But most importantly, please REDUCE the amount of plastic you are using, REUSE any plastic you have to use and when you've finished with it, please RECYCLE it. It's our actions today that determine the future.

Ocean Crusaders was started by Ian Thomson having picked up 8 dead turtles out of the oceans of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. He began his campaign by setting the world record for the fastest solo circumnavigation of Australia. The campaign is run by volunteers and no one takes a wage, with all funds going to the delivery and development of the education program. Of course we always seek sponsors to enable us to do more and in particular are seeking a sponsor for the Ocean Safe Certified Yacht Program. If you can help please contact info@OceanCrusaders.org

Thanks
Ian Thomson
Founder
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ocean Crusaders
www.OceanCrusaders.org

ph: +61(0)4 1293 2808
sk: OceanCrusaders
----------------------------------------------------------------

johnc7777

May 18, 2012, 7:25 AM

Post #2 of 11 (24307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Is your vessel Ocean Safe Certified? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Bullshlt. I can't believe this wasn't written as opinion only. His facts are totally bullshlt. 500 billion to 1 trillion is like saying is it once around the sun or is it twice?
This is how much water is in the ocean according to NOAA
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/oceanwater.html
and
Australia is this big
7,741,220 sq km

The math doesn't work.

Yes - you are going to hell according to Ian and send him money to save your soul!! Jimmy Swaggert will be proud!!

That being said - the real point is don't use plastic unless you have to and dispose of it properly if you do. Let's make sure other countries do the same. If you want to spend your money on Ian or the people that pay his salary - also think about someone in your own hometown that could really help locally.

That link is here
http://oceancrusaders.org/our-sponsors/

I'll probably buy a pair of these off their website. Floater Photochromic Acetate Polarised. I am sure the next time I lose a pair overboard that they are totally biodegradable without anything that will pollute our ocean.

The Publisher

May 20, 2012, 6:59 AM

Post #3 of 11 (24164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnc7777] Is your vessel Ocean Safe Certified? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The claim by Ian Thomson, Ocean Crusaders, that there is enough garbage in the North Pacific to cover Australia 3 metres deep is, in a word, rubbish. Where does this nonsense come from? That would be several hundred trillion tonnes, yet the entire planet's annual production of garbage is estimated to be 4 - 5 billion tonnes (answers.com), 100,000 times less.

The world does have terrible pollution problems, but by far the most serious are on shore. The mindless repetition of preposterous exagerations such as this costs the environment movement credibility, and diverts attention from where the real problems lie. In forty years of offshore ocean sailing I have been through these so called ocean repositories more times than I can count. Certainly there is some trash in the oceans, but nothing like what is being postulated. The fabled oceans of junk just aren't there.

Regards, Bob Colpitts

The Publisher

May 20, 2012, 7:00 AM

Post #4 of 11 (24162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Is your vessel Ocean Safe Certified? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

It seems another greenie, tree-hugging alarmist has emerged in the form of Ian Thomson, of Ocean Crusaders, making typical outrageous and un-provable claims. Just pluck any figure out of the air that suits their purpose, multiply it many times over for dramatic effect, and declare it as FACT! No reason to substantiate the claims! "Experts" it seems, don't have to!

In S'butt he states.... * "There is a garbage patch in the North Pacific containing enough rubbish to cover Australia 3m deep".

Well, I live in Australia, have sailed around most of it, and have driven across it from the East coast to the West coast, and there's no way there is enough garbage anywhere to cover it, let alone to a height of 3 Metres. The surface area of Australia is 7,741,220 sq mtrs. I have also sailed across what is described as the South Pacific Gyre, and apart from the occasional fishing float and one or two bottles, I saw no evidence of pollution.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia's Great Pacific Garbage Patch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch Well worth a look, and enough factual information to discredit Mr Thomson and his ilk. "Although many media and advocacy reports have suggested that the patch extends over an area larger than the continental U.S., recent research sponsored by the National Science Foundation suggests the affected area may be twice the size of Hawaii, while a recent study concluded that the patch might be smaller."

It would seem Mr Thomson is another of those self-proclaimed, and no doubt unqualified "experts" that are jumping on the bandwagon in droves, no doubt with a view to making a few $$$. We have several here in Australia, one of which is a certain Professor Tim Flannery who claims with absolute certainty that the East Coast of Australia.....he ignores the other 3 coasts....will soon become inundated under 8 metres of water caused by rising sea levels, which in turn is caused by man-made Global Warming! Judging by his claims, if we don't drown in the next few years, we will most certainly fry! I don't think he's read Archimedes.

I distinctly remember those crooked TV Evangelists of a few years ago, and the tricks they got up to separating gullible people from their money.

These "experts" are no different!
Steve Old
Australia

The Publisher

May 20, 2012, 7:04 AM

Post #5 of 11 (24159 views)
Shortcut

Further to your story on Ocean pollution, I would like to let you know about 2 recent shopping experiences:

I went into a supermarket in Fort Lauderdale 2 weeks ago, bought one bottle (2 litres) of fizzy drink. At the cashier, the lady placed it into not one but two plastic bags. When I told her I do not need a plastic bag to carry one bottle, she looked at me surprised, and said everybody else does...

Last week I went in a Supermarket in the south of France, buying plenty of the yummy food they have there. At the cash register, I had to buy two bags that will get re-used. They do not have plastic bags anymore. The French survived the transition from plastic to reusable bags.

Reynald Neron

steveold

May 20, 2012, 7:52 PM

Post #6 of 11 (24123 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

As sailors, the ocean is our playground, and for some, it is our office. Every day we go out on the water we make an impact on our ocean, yet so many people are unaware of that very impact. So here are some alarming stats for you:

* There is a garbage patch in the North Pacific containing enough rubbish to cover Australia 3m deep. There are 4 other garbage patches, one in every major ocean.
* The world uses 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags every year and it contributes to 100,000+ marine deaths from plastic suffocation and entanglement. Add another 1 million sea birds to that figure.
* The world drinks 200 billion liters of bottled water every year, contributing 20.5 million tonnes of greenhouse gasses to the environment and using enough oil to fill every bottle of water 25% full of oil. Only 30% of plastic water bottles are recycled around the world.

So if I said to you that the ocean produces 60-80% of the worlds oxygen and that our every day habits are slowly killing it, would it make you think twice? Yes I am saying that your habits may be risking the very air we breathe.

So how many of you use plastic water bottles on your boat. O.K so your tank water tastes funny so you decide the easiest way to provide water to your crew is in plastic water bottles. It's easy and convenient right? Let's look at the stats. First of all why does bottled water have a used by date? Water doesn't go off or our world would be in trouble. It is simply because by that date, it is expected that the plastic bottle has leeched enough toxins into the water to make it toxic to humans, and if you leave it in the sun you will have experienced that plastic taste. It is a product known as Bisphenol A (BPA). More and more studies are being released showing this substance, and other toxins from plastic, are causing all sorts of health issues including Autism, cancers and ADHD. Then you have the bottle which you recycle right? Firstly the caps are not recyclable and only 30% of bottles are sent for recycling with 60% of America's plastic going to India to be down-cycled (created into products that can't be recycled.

Whilst I can quote how many animals die from plastic bags, I can't quote how many engines die or overheat from plastic bag ingestion. The dreaded plastic bag in the inlet is annoying to say the least and whilst many say they don't throw plastic bags in the ocean, the fact that 50% come from the rubbish dump will tell you that it is a major problem. Using an alternative is so easy so when you take your provisions to your boat next, please use a reusable bag. And if you're one of those lunatics that put plastic bags on your shrouds and lifelines to keep birds off, hope that I never run into you. They don't do the job and they end up fluttering in the wind, and break free into the ocean where they can end up killing a turtle or dolphin. Trust me I've pulled out three dead turtles because of plastic bags, it's not fun. Bunting is easier and more effective and the oceans will love you for it.

At Ocean Crusaders we focus on educating people of the issues our oceans face. We run an education program for primary school students to teach them about the animals in our oceans and what issues they are facing and how they can change their every day habits to help. The response is amazing so if someone who hasn't seen most of the world can make a difference, surely us as ocean users can make a difference. It's not hard. In fact when it comes to rubbish, why is it that children under 15 contribute only 1.5% of all rubbish yet once they hit 15 they become the biggest rubbish creators. Have a look at the graph. Which age group are you in?

So here is a challenge for every one who owns a yacht. At Ocean Crusaders we have developed an Ocean Safe Certification program for yachts and boats. It is free of charge to join and it shows that you are committed to looking after our playground. It doesn't take much either. All you have to do is go to our website at www.OceanCrusaders.org/sailing and follow the links to our Ocean Safe Certified Yacht program. If you can commit to 5 of our key guidelines, then you become certified.

The guidelines include never using plastic bags to bring provisions to your boat, not buying bottled water, instead using S/S reusable bottles and filling up from larger containers, using eco friendly bottom paints, recycling, using eco friendly cleaning agents and never using plastic plates and utensils. Pick 5, fill out a form and we'll send you a sticker for your boat to show your support.

If one person couldn't make a difference then we would not exist. Every product you see around you, the computer you are currently on, the phone you use, the pen you write with, they were all one persons dream and they have made a difference. You simply changing your habits, particularly when you go down to your boat, well you could save the life of a turtle, you could save an engine being blown up from overheating and better still, you are helping our ocean live so we can breathe in the future.

For more information on all of the above, visit our website at www.OceanCrusaders.org Please also like us on facebook. www.facebook.com/OceanCrusaders

Download the lessons for your kids from our education program pages and maybe you'll learn something too. They are designed for school teachers to present to their class. If we don't have your country up there and you can help us get our program into your country, touch base with us.

But most importantly, please REDUCE the amount of plastic you are using, REUSE any plastic you have to use and when you've finished with it, please RECYCLE it. It's our actions today that determine the future.

Ocean Crusaders was started by Ian Thomson having picked up 8 dead turtles out of the oceans of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. He began his campaign by setting the world record for the fastest solo circumnavigation of Australia. The campaign is run by volunteers and no one takes a wage, with all funds going to the delivery and development of the education program. Of course we always seek sponsors to enable us to do more and in particular are seeking a sponsor for the Ocean Safe Certified Yacht Program. If you can help please contact info@OceanCrusaders.org

Thanks
Ian Thomson
Founder
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ocean Crusaders
www.OceanCrusaders.org

ph: +61(0)4 1293 2808
sk: OceanCrusaders
----------------------------------------------------------------

steveold

May 20, 2012, 8:01 PM

Post #7 of 11 (24122 views)
Shortcut

Seems this Thomson bloke is also full of bullshit on another front. He's now claiming the record for the solo circumnavigation of Australia. The WSSRC, of course, have no record of him. Round Australia. Singlehanded 6536 Aug -11 Big Wave Rider C 46 14.02 Bruce Arms AUS 38d 21h 41m 42s 6.9They correctly list Bruce Arms as the record-holder. Round Australia. Singlehanded 6536 Aug -11 Big Wave Rider C 46 14.02 Bruce Arms AUS 38d 21h 41m 42s 6.9 Mr Thomson, if you wish to claim a sailing record, it must be officially verified, and your claim doesn't rate a mention! You're an absolute disgrace to not only Australian sailors, but to yachtsmen the world over.

OceanCrusaders

May 22, 2012, 5:22 PM

Post #8 of 11 (23981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveold] Is your vessel Ocean Safe Certified? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Steve,

You have criticised our efforts in every way saying we claim alot without research however on the sailing front, maybe you should check into the Performance Certificates at http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/...ce-certificates.html and in particular #32. I did sail around Australia and broke the record albeit with one stop. I made this stop as a professional sailor when my systems went down. I didn't want to cause a navigation hazard like some other sailors do when and went in for repairs. I still am the fastest monohull around Australia. Yes Bruce Arms broke the outright record but on your assumption then David Beard must not have sailed around when he set the original record of 68 days on the boat Scaffie II. And if you only go by WSSRC records then Jessica Watson didn't sail around the world either.

As to your comments on the trash and not having seen it, you obviously know very little. Can you count the pieces of plankton in the ocean? No you can't see them and that is what a lot of the plastic is down to. As quoted by Algalita Research Foundation, in the north pacific gyre the ration found from their troll nets was 45 pieces of plastic to every living plankton. You need a microscope to see it. And you can't tell how much of the plastic is already in the creatures of the ocean or on the ocean floor. Remember a lot of the world's trash sinks to the ocean floor at depths we have never been to before.

But you are missing the point. You are criticising an operation that is out to raise awareness and stop the use of plastic. It doesn't matter how much plastic is created, it is all doing damage and every time you are lazy and use a plastic bag or drink from a plastic bottle you are damaging the environment. You are also risking your own health and your families.

The ocean is our playground and we all need to look after it. Criticising those that are doing everything we can to look after it, that won't help anybody.

And for you reference, Ocean Crusaders and it's former operating names SOS Ocean Racing and Save Our Seas International have never received money from anyone. It is 100% funded by my own work and passion. And if you had seen the 8 turtles I have pulled out of the ocean, 3 of which had plastic to blame for their deaths, maybe you too would have some passion for the cause rather than trying to belittle us. I can tell you that those turtles are hard evidence that there is a problem, much larger than anyone realises.

Kind regards,
Ian Thomson

OceanCrusaders

May 22, 2012, 5:43 PM

Post #9 of 11 (23979 views)
Shortcut

As per my reply to SteveOld below, most of the rubbish is much smaller than your eye can see as plastic photodegrades into such small pieces that they are the size of plankton, and you can't see plankton in the water either.

When seen from above plastic appears as confetti on the oceanís surface, among an occasional piece of derelict fishing gear. Many of the pieces of plastic are not seen because of the fluid dynamics of the ocean, stirring the plastic just below the surface by the wave action created by the wind and currents. Some of the floating plastic becomes fouled by plant growth or organisms attaching to it, which make it sink below the surface. Certain types of plastics are heavier than the water and sink or to the ocean floor. And more still is consumed by marine creatures such as a turtle found in France with no less than 350 pieces of plastic in it's stomach.

As to your research on answers.com, where does that figure come from? Can you truly calculate the amount of trash created in weight. We all know that plastic bags weigh nothing per square inch and lead is much greater so how do you quanitfy how much the weight of the trash to cover Australia would be? Third world countries create more rubbish that we cannot calculate as they have no rubbish collection facilites, instead many of them dumping into streams and rivers that lead to the oceans.

Yes we can only guesstimate any of the quantities however you cannot say that it is not there. That would be like saying that I can't see the bottom of the ocean so therefor it is not there. If you can prove to me that the quantity of rubbish in the ocean wouldn't cover Australia 3m deep then I'm happy to correct my guesstimation.

Kind regards,
Ian Thomson

steveold

May 23, 2012, 10:04 PM

Post #10 of 11 (23932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OceanCrusaders] Is your vessel Ocean Safe Certified? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Mr Thomson.
I would like to address your latest posting, where you state....
"Yes we can only guesstimate any of the quantities however you cannot say that it is not there. That would be like saying that I can't see the bottom of the ocean so therefor it is not there. If you can prove to me that the quantity of rubbish in the ocean wouldn't cover Australia 3m deep then I'm happy to correct my guesstimation".
In your original statement you posted as unquestionable FACT that Australia could or would be buried under
3 Mtrs of garbage, is just that, garbage!
I agree that one cannot say it is not there, but as most sensible and fair-minded folk would concur,
to provide credibility to your fanciful claims, the onus is very much on you to provide definitive proof,
not for others to prove to you that the quantity of rubbish in the ocean wouldn't cover Australia 3m deep!
Of course you can't provide proof, because there is none.
Now you change your story and state it is ONLY a "guesstimation"!
How much more of your exaggerated waffling is guesstimation?

I should add, I sailed from the BVI through the Panama Canal, French Polynesia, the Cook Islands,
Bay of Islands in NZ, and the ONLY place I witnessed any pollution was Papeete Harbour.
I was unexpectedly and pleasantly surprised to discover the Canal was free of pollution.
The only other place I have witnessed pollution is the Ala Wai canal in Honolulu, and that was caused
not by sailors, but by the residents.
In my view you are preaching to the converted, and the vast majority of sailors hold a responsible
attitude toward pollution, and they don't need your style of education.
While your cause appears to be a most noble one, you are living in a dream world.
Steve Old

OceanCrusaders

May 23, 2012, 10:28 PM

Post #11 of 11 (23931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveold] Is your vessel Ocean Safe Certified? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Steve,

Please visit the website http://www.mysailing.com.au/...om-you-and-your-boat . At the bottom you will find a picture of the rubbish concentrations in our oceans and the depth at which those concentrations have been proven to be. Depth scale at the bottom. As you will see your wonderful journey takes you around the main areas that are the concern.

As to preaching to the converted, our main focus is not on the sailing industry but to primary school children around the world. Our educational programs run in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Japan, Belize and England already and we are constantly expanding the program as we find people to translate the lessons into different languages. We spend very little time on the sailing industry, I only do it as I am a passionate sailor and would like to see yachts, particularly racing yachts, stop using plastic water bottles and plastic bags.

I do understand the cruising sailor is usually pretty good with the environment however we can always improve our habits, like not buying items in plastic from the grocery store, using reusable bags for our fruit and vegie as well as the main shopping bags. Every piece of plastic we use is something that will live in our environment forever so everyone can improve, myself included.

Your opinions are yours alone and for each person like you who is against our campaign, we have hundreds and thousands of people who are for our campaign, including a lot of media sources as I'm sure you have found out recently. In fact out of 28 primary schools who completed our pilot program last year throughout Australia, all 28 reported that at the end of the year the students regarded our program as the most enjoyable and memorable. Some would say it is easier to educate the young than the old!!!

I highly recommend you take a tour through our entire site and see what we really do before making further comment. Visit www.OceanCrusaders.org

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules