Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
wire/spectra backstays
Team McLube

Alan H

Jan 1, 2006, 4:23 AM

Post #1 of 5 (12885 views)
Shortcut
wire/spectra backstays Log-In to Post/Reply

I've a need to put a SSB radio on my boat, and rigging the antenna up to the backstay is the usual thing. But being a cheapmofo I was thinking about making a wire backstay(cause it's cheap) for the antenna, and then using about 18 inches of spectra at the top and bottom ends to attach it to the a.) crane and b.) backstay adjustor.

I could just make a spectra backstay and run a piece of small gauge s.s.wire up the backstay or even inside it, but I keep coming back to the 3-part...spectra - wire - spectra idea. Basically I'd be using the 18-inch length of spectra instead of those rigging insulators that cost a mint.

Anybody ever done that?

PaulK

Jan 1, 2006, 6:09 AM

Post #2 of 5 (12882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alan H] wire/spectra backstays [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Sounds interesting. The reasoning against using the backstay itself as the antenna was always that the required insulators created a weak link. Using spectra, the wire might become the weakest part. Attaching the wire and spectra ends would concern me. We've had hi-tech (not necessarily spectra) halyards part, apparently due to repeated cycles of loading. I would want to be reassured on that, about uv degradation of the fibers at the top of the mast where you can't see them, and about the splice joining the line and wire together. I sailed with a captain who explained to me: If you have a plan for everything, when all hell breaks loose, it will be because you planned it that way. Sailing with as few surprises as possible is preferable to losing the mast because you wanted to talk on the radio.

Deleted

Jan 1, 2006, 8:56 PM

Post #3 of 5 (12815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulK] wire/spectra backstays [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I heard somewhere about these great devices called a Splicing Nut - I will have to google for them somewhere, but they may be just the thing to avoid having to splice up there.

Snappy

Jan 1, 2006, 9:26 PM

Post #4 of 5 (12811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Guest] wire/spectra backstays [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Ignore the note about the Splicing Nut. It appears to be marginal alternative to splicing, and has become a running joke over at SA. Ha, ha.

Deleted
FoolishMuse@aol.com

Jan 3, 2006, 12:05 PM

Post #5 of 5 (12747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Snappy] wire/spectra backstays [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Alan: I've gone half way on this. I use a spectra line for the adjustable split bottom of my backstay. I'll use an insulator for the top of the backstay. This way I won't have to worry about fitting a line to the cleavis pin arrangement at the top of the mast.

Andy
Foolish Muse

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules